StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to take off my sidestand because of an issue where the switch connected to the ignition wasnt being pushed in all the way.

i have everything nice and clean, but im wondering what to grease it with before I put it back on.

any recommendations/brands?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
My favorite all purpose grease is Bel-Ray marine grease. It holds up in the wet. That being said, I just squirt some chain lube on the pivot occasionally since I've never had it apart.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
As I have already mentioned in your previous post about this, do not use grease in this area. Grease acts as "fly paper" to attract more grit; compounding the problem.

Occasionally, spray WD-40 over the area. If you use the "red tube", attached to the nozzle of the can, it will "fire hose" the lubricant into the mechanism, which helps to flush out debris that causes this issue.

B.L.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'm thinking grease is for the pivot, which needs lubrication, not the switch which should be kept clean.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I'm thinking grease is for the pivot, which needs lubrication, not the switch which should be kept clean.
Technically this is correct. But, because so much road grit gets kicked up into this area, (think about where I ride, Pat, and think about where Toronto_Nic rides), even greasing the pivot point attracts grit to that area.

For this reason, I don't grease the pivot points of my centerstand, or my sidestand. I "flush them / lubricate them" with a liberal dose of WD-40. No, WD-40 is not a true lubricant, and its "lubricating effects" don't last as long as real grease does. But, I would be willing to bet, a longer working life of the centerstand and sidestand will be realized by using a product like WD-40 instead of grease.

B.L.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts