StromTrooper banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Planning a trip to Natchez Trace from Houston, Texas sometime in May. Going with my girlfriend - our first long distance bike getaway. If anyone is interested in joining or meeting along the parkway, let me know!

“A Drive through 10,000 Years of History
The Natchez Trace Parkway is a 444-mile recreational road and scenic drive through three states. It roughly follows the "Old Natchez Trace" a historic travel corridor used by American Indians, "Kaintucks," European settlers, slave traders, soldiers, and future presidents. Today, people can enjoy not only a scenic drive but also hiking, biking, horseback riding, and camping along the parkway.”

It looks like most lodging places along the way don't take reservations. How would I do this trip and either tent camp or get a room; maybe there are enough places to accommodate?

It would be hard to plan the stop overs anyway since I'd be coming from Idaho with no particular arrival date and the desire to see the places of interest along the way.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Mohawk Trail weekend end of May,Plan B in Vermont July 11, NEVA '19 first weekend in August, Nova Scotia end of August, Fall Peep Show first weekend in October.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is my first year with a V-Strom, at the end of March I'm going to the March Moto Madness in Tellico Plains TN for the adv bike training put on by Tom Asher. Does anyone have experience with those classes?

Before picking up the Wee I had planned on going to Scotland or Ireland and renting a bike to explore the Highlands and the Irish Whisky region. Depending on my enjoyment of the ADV class I might stay in the US and do the Mid Atlantic Discovery Route instead.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Planning on taking 9 days to go around Lake Superior (and possibly Lake Huron) in September.

Rob
The north side of Lake Superior (Canadian) is spectacular. If it's part of your route try to schedule a stop for the night in one of the more desolate parts and then head a bit north for star gazing, just enough to get away from the lights of whatever town you're staying in. Be extra careful after dark though - large wide life abounds.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So far my only plans are attending the Vstrom rally in North Carolina in May. Then heading into West Virginia around snow shoes and up to black water falls in late September.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Southern Spain

The first of April I leave for a week long motorcycle tour of Southern Spain (Andalusia) with the Mrs. We are going with Edelweiss tours and will be riding a MultiStrada 950. This is my first time one one of these organized tours; something I have been dreaming of. We will be riding about 150 miles a day, which seems short to me but not to my wife.
I will report back and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The north side of Lake Superior (Canadian) is spectacular. If it's part of your route try to schedule a stop for the night in one of the more desolate parts and then head a bit north for star gazing, just enough to get away from the lights of whatever town you're staying in. Be extra careful after dark though - large wide life abounds.
Highly recommend Agawa Bay campground. Beautiful sunsets on the beach and lots of stargazing

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
No major trips this year, but I do want to take a week and get to the 4 states in the lower 48 that I haven't been to yet (MN, WI, ND, SD). We'll see if it actually happens, work commitments are going to make it tough.

On a side note, if anyone is coming through central Oklahoma and needs a place to stay, give me a holler. I'll need a little lead time, and we're gone a lot, but if I'm in town and free I'd be happy to host 1-4 people. We have a garage apartment and space in the main house too. Pool and hot tub also. :)
I have a listing on tentspace so check it out if traveling thru northern Minnesota.

Relax and have a homebrew.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No major trips this year, but I do want to take a week and get to the 4 states in the lower 48 that I haven't been to yet (MN, WI, ND, SD). We'll see if it actually happens, work commitments are going to make it tough.

On a side note, if anyone is coming through central Oklahoma and needs a place to stay, give me a holler. I'll need a little lead time, and we're gone a lot, but if I'm in town and free I'd be happy to host 1-4 people. We have a garage apartment and space in the main house too. Pool and hot tub also. :)
Thanks for the generous offer, RichDesmond!

I'm nowhere near Oklahoma, but dang, the offer of a place to stay always gets my attention. I'll be sure and contact you (with lead time) if I will ever be in the area.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The first of April I leave for a week long motorcycle tour of Southern Spain (Andalusia) with the Mrs. We are going with Edelweiss tours and will be riding a MultiStrada 950. This is my first time one one of these organized tours; something I have been dreaming of. We will be riding about 150 miles a day, which seems short to me but not to my wife.
I will report back and let you all know how it goes.
I did a Euro Moto Tour in the summer of 2017. Two week tour and then a week on my own, Solo. 200 mile days will wear you out. Completely different type of riding over there vs. here in the US. 150 to 200 miles will take about 8 to 10 hours a day with proper lunch / coffee stops.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
MABDR via V-Strom in early May but only the PA section, followed by the vintage CB1100F Spring Ride in the NY Adirondacks in early June. Then for my 60th I'm gathering my boys (Vancouver/Toronto) and in late Aug/Sept flying us up to Whitehorse renting an RV and winging it up north for two weeks. The younger one does not ride so we're roughing it this year :)

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
MABDR via V-Strom in early May but only the PA section, followed by the vintage CB1100F Spring Ride in the NY Adirondacks in early June. Then for my 60th I'm gathering my boys (Vancouver/Toronto) and in late Aug/Sept flying us up to Whitehorse renting an RV and winging it up north for two weeks. The younger one does not ride so we're roughing it this year :)
Fitter,
I have never heard of the "vintage CB1100F Spring Ride in the NY Adirondacks in early June":confused: What are the details, as this is in my backyard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's a bunch of 1980's CB750F, CB900F and CB1100F owners and we get together twice a year since 2004. We started with 5 guys on rat bikes and now we have anywhere from 18 to 30 owners show up. Bikes are now looking pretty pristine because of it. Of course we all met through a motorcycle Forum such as Stromtrooper (in our case its CB1100F.net).

I was also taking the VStrom to Dirt Daze again this year but they have moved it to Aug in Vermont.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts