StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What trips does everyone have planned for 2019?

I'll be going to ride the blue ridge parkway and the dragon in late May and then in June the wife and I are going to Gaspe for a week. I will be going to the fall peep show as well.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Taking 10 days, either Death Valley and Arizona, N.M., Colorado, and Utah in May, or Olympic Peninsula , Montana, Idaho in July.
Having a hard time deciding.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Originally had a huge trip planned for the summer hitting all of the Canadian provinces and territories except Nunavut, I was planning on taking the entire summer off to ride and camp and do a few other things. Unfortunately, a co-worker just quit. Him and I both do the same job, and we are the only two that know the job or have the skills for it, so essentially it just doubled my workload. I will still do something, but it will be much smaller. maybe a fly and ride, flying from Montreal to Vancouver and doing a trip up to Tuktoyuktuk which was the original highlight of the epic trip to begin with. It would still be fun since I would probably buy a thumper in Vancouver for the trip, and sell it after.

If such a reduced summer happens, I may also try to take a four day weekend over Labour day and do the Trans-Lab.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
What trips does everyone have planned for 2019?

I'll be going to ride the blue ridge parkway and the dragon in late May and then in June the wife and I are going to Gaspe for a week. I will be going to the fall peep show as well.

Would love to finally meet you, why not attend the Strom rally May 16th and then exploring all around the vicinity before heading back North? :smile2: MY group is also doing the BRP during the rally, likely on the way down from start to stop, but could very well be on the way back to Ohio as well.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would love to finally meet you, why not attend the Strom rally May 16th and then exploring all around the vicinity before heading back North? :smile2: MY group is also doing the BRP during the rally, likely on the way down from start to stop, but could very well be on the way back to Ohio as well.
That was my original plan but I could not get that week off work. I started a new job and am low man on the seniority list. May 20 is a holiday so everyone took the Friday before off and I have to work it

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally had a huge trip planned for the summer hitting all of the Canadian provinces and territories except Nunavut, I was planning on taking the entire summer off to ride and camp and do a few other things. Unfortunately, a co-worker just quit. Him and I both do the same job, and we are the only two that know the job or have the skills for it, so essentially it just doubled my workload. I will still do something, but it will be much smaller. maybe a fly and ride, flying from Montreal to Vancouver and doing a trip up to Tuktoyuktuk which was the original highlight of the epic trip to begin with. It would still be fun since I would probably buy a thumper in Vancouver for the trip, and sell it after.

If such a reduced summer happens, I may also try to take a four day weekend over Labour day and do the Trans-Lab.
Hopefully you can make the most of it!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nashville, the Natchez Trace Parkway, New Orleans, then to Pensacola,Fl in June on the Road King.... MABDR in October on the Vstrom.... and as much shorter rides as I can cram into my schedule!!! Work gets in the way of my motorcycle trips! How much longer do I have to work?

·
Registered
355 Posts
From Seattle to Vancouver Island. The Port Hardy ferry (14 hours) to Prince Rupert then south on the Highway of Tears to Lillooet. Then the Sea to Sky back to Vancouver BC and home from there.
As long as the the forest fires don't screw the plans like last time...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Heading from Seattle area to meet friends in Calgary Canada and then up to Yellowknife in the NW Territories and then back through Banff, Lake Louise and such. About 3500 miles. No camping on this trip.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
"essentially it just doubled my workload"

Seems to be the problem with American labor. They don't take enough time off. Doubled your workload? maybe the boss will suggest working smarter and you can get it done. Or suggest to the boss, you have X number of days of vacation and you are taking all of it and he should hire a replacement for the guy that quit.
Now if you are self employed, you may be screwed.
Vacation time should be savored like fine wine or cigars. Not gulped in haste or cut short.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Planning a late June-early July trip to the Chaco Culture National Historic Park, Nageezi, NM, then up to the Aztec Ruins National Monument, then Dinosaur National Monument, Dinosaur, CO on the way home. About 3000 mi/4800km.
All of the history, none of the Interstates.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I want to do the Trans Labrador Highway with Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Hope I’ll find a big enough junk of time this summer for this.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Planning a cross country loop in June to pick up all the states I'm missing. Would like to spend some time riding the mountains and canyons of Colorado and Utah, visit my sister in Wash. state.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
Planning a cross country loop in June to pick up all the states I'm missing. Would like to spend some time riding the mountains and canyons of Colorado and Utah, visit my sister in Wash. state.
Some great riding/sites/scenery in Ohio, almost looks like you’ve purposely avoided the Buckeye state. :wink2:

·
Registered
202 Posts
May 19 -- Rockies/Alaska

KKORO

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"essentially it just doubled my workload"

Seems to be the problem with American labor. They don't take enough time off. Doubled your workload? maybe the boss will suggest working smarter and you can get it done. Or suggest to the boss, you have X number of days of vacation and you are taking all of it and he should hire a replacement for the guy that quit.
Now if you are self employed, you may be screwed.
Vacation time should be savored like fine wine or cigars. Not gulped in haste or cut short.
It's not always that easy. I just left jobs a few months ago and felt really bad for my coworker I left behind. I work in IT and it was a very specialized company. It took me about 2 years to learn the systems and products. I left for a cushy government job and the other IT guy I left behind will now have 2 years before he can realistically take much vacation. They are paying him a bonus and paying out his vacation time. The business simply couldn't function without a tech. He will be able to take the odd day off, but certainly not a week or two at a time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts