StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I have the Givi Outback Trekker setup and would not recommend it for 2up riding. The side cases sit up very high and to far forward, using up almost all of the available leg room, they dig into my wifes thighs. I wound up doing a custom setup to lower then and move them back but it's not worth the time/energy if you have not already purchased them. I'd go with the Shad setup, it's cheaper and better.

My top case is the 58L and I'm not using the side supports on it because I ordered the wrong one. They made a change to the 2018's and now the side support does not do anything so I didn't bother. The one I have is for the 2014-2016. No issues but I don't overload my top case either.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Lots of my rides are 2 up and I use the Shad 40 cargo so I can put light bulky stuff on top, very handy while out shopping.

I like the Shad because you don't need a key every time you want to open it unlike the Givi.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have a look at the Coocase Astra 48 litre topbox.
Looks great with a silver lid and smoked lense.
A pillion backrest is available as an accessory (unless mounting the topbox to existing Ventura "L" bracket frames).
Great size and cheaper than a Givi topbox.
Cheers.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Picked up the new bike today. 2018 1000xt. Put around 90 miles on it. 25 of those with the wife. She is 5’6 and about 150 lbs. Within 5 min she said she doesn’t like not having a backrest. She is use to riding our Harley cvo road glide with top box.

So I have researched most the night on the forum and have confused myself. 😫

Here is what I’m looking for...

Top box that will look good and not out of proportion with the bike.

She doesn’t want it to make her feel cramped or any closer to me. Prefer it not push her forward or make her lean forward. It would be great if we could fit 1 medium modular helmet and another xxl modular without being to big. Reference 1st comment on looking good with bike

It needs to work with future side cases.

I like the look of the Givi v47 tech top case, but didn’t know if it takes up passenger seat space or causes pillion to lean forward.

Also are there any differences in mounts? Givi vs Motech etc.

Appreciate feedback and direction.

I got a bit of a dog cussing for not having a top case. 😂
I have the Givi V47 tech case on my V2 along with the same aluminum mounting plate slipstream has pictured. The wife and I are both fairly "healthy", her at 5'8", me at 6'1" total weight approaching 400# combined weight, and she doesn't have a problem with the case. The first time she rode on this bike was last month when we went to Big Bend, and it was only a couple hours at a time. The optional backrest may slightly move the contact point forward a little, but I optioned mine without it because the wife doesn't ride with me very often, and she didn't say anything about not having one. My case will fit my full face and her 3/4 face just fine. We had gloves and jackets, so when we stopped for any amount of time, we would put my full face in the box (cause it's the most expensive to replace and has a Cardo unit) with gloves jacket, and we would hang here helmet on the bars.

·
Registered
426 Posts
CaptainMorgan70-

I tried putting some helmets in the SH48 today. I tried two XL helmets (Scorpion EXO 1100 XL and Shoei GT Air XL), and they do not fit at the same time. They almost fit, but not quite. I also tried the XL Shoei GT Air with a Medium Scorpion, and these two size helmets will fit. It's a little cozy, but the lid closes.

The big issue with fitting these particular brand & model XL helmets, is that they both have that little "duck tail" at the upper rear part of the helmet and this duck tail requires extra space.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lots of my rides are 2 up and I use the Shad 40 cargo so I can put light bulky stuff on top, very handy while out shopping.

I like the Shad because you don't need a key every time you want to open it unlike the Givi.
Can you use the lock cylinder provided by Suzuki that came with the bike with the shad top case. I'm thinking about going with the 39L top box.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think Moose Racing (if you like any of their boxes) have a mounting plate that has up and back mounting positions on the plate.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Can you use the lock cylinder provided by Suzuki that came with the bike with the shad top case. I'm thinking about going with the 39L top box.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Sorry I can't answer that I have never seen the Suzuki locks ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry I can't answer that I have never seen the Suzuki locks ?
When I bought the bike it came with three lock cylinders that match the bike ignition key. They look like standard lock cylinders. I would imagine all the v storms come with them but I could be wrong. Did you buy new, if not maybe the previous owner used the locks and then sold the luggage separately. It would be nice if the locks were compatible with other then Suzuki luggage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Bazooka. Thanks for the info! I’m still deciding between givi and Shad for the top and side cases.
I would rule out Givi if you are doing 2up, there rack system is awful. I had custom plates made up to lower it and move it back but it leaves no leg room at all. My wife and son wouldn't even ride on the V2 with Outback Trekker luggage.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For 2-up, make sure you get a big enough top case that can easily fit 2 helmets, that way you can lock them up if you stop on a trip.

Don’t worry about one size looking “out of proportion” too big. The difference between a ~40L case and ~52L case is only an inch or two in each direction. Once you put a topcase on a bike, it already changes the look so significantly, a slightly larger one really isn’t going to look so much more out of place, so you might as well go big.

In regards to brands, I’ve only used Givi, but make sure you get the Monokey, not Monolock. Monolock is the lower-quality line designed for scooters, Monokey ones are a little more rugged.

Don’t worry about needing a backrest pad on the top case. They tend to push the passenger more forward, and since your passengers jacket likely has a back pad/armor, extra padding isn’t necessary.

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
My co-pilot likes this back rest solution. It has been mounted on four bikes to date. She say's trade bikes all you want, but insists on keeping the back rest. It originally came from Captain's Lair and was designed for a Honda St-1100. It's been modified several times and is currently on a R12GS. The picture is from previous '14 Vee.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
21 - 40 of 43 Posts