StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

I've got a little over 640 miles on the new V-strom and will be doing the first maintenance tomorrow, which got me thinking about tools, and particularly if there are any that are strongly recommended to carry at all times. Do you carry a tire repair kit? what kind? wrenches and sockets? Only carry them on a "trip", or always have 'em with you? Storage ideas? Thanks!
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the standard issue tool kit and a flat repair kit under the rear cowling. The kit consists of a compressor, plug insertion tool and rasp tool along with a few of the tar rope plugs and a tube of rubber cement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
You can do a search and find a topic on this... Pretty in depth where everyone posted the stuff they carry with them.

I haven't gone on any really long or extended rides for more then a day or in the desert or remote mountains, etc., so for me at this point I carry:

1) Simple tire repair kit. The kind that you push a "plug" into the hole. Comes with glue for the plug, etc. These kits work great and I've used them a LOT. (Mandatory)

2) A mini air compressor to fill up the tire. It's a Airman Sparrow I think and fits perfectly under the seat in the very back. (Mandatory). Note: Some people like the CO2 cartridges to fill up the tire, but I've heard they don't always work, and if you run out of cartridges (waste them, whatever) you're screwed. I want something reliable that will WORK when I need it to so I prefer a small air compressor. :)

3) Stock tool kit, plus a Leatherman tool. (Mandatory)

4) Air gauge, registration, manual, proof of insurance. All this stuff 1-4 is under my seat which I like because they are my "critical" items.

5) Cell phone, quarters, money, garage door opener, lighter, various other crap in my tank bag.

6) In my rear tail bag, I keep extra gloves, ear plugs, maps, bungy cords, rain covers for the bags, my outer jacket liner, water bottle, and various other junk.

That's it! I travel light. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
In the tail section I keep this. . . .



And in the tank bag this. . . Small can WD40, $ 20 bill, 12V Female receptacle for Powerlet, First Aid Kit, Copy of DL, Insurance, Registration, Cordstops, Earplugs, Felt Pen, Small Maglite, Small Yellow swivel head flashlight, Foldup scissors, Small Hairbrush, Pkg HandiWipes, Hat, Insect repellent, Key # tag, Leatherman, Micro screwdriver set, Motrin, Owners manual, $10 in Quarters, Reading glasses, Sun screen, Sunglasses, Visine, Tinted Visor, Waterproof matches in case, Whistle & compass, Carmex, Mosquito repellent, Side Stand Plate, Tire pressure guage, D70s & ZEN Micro Batteries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
Nice collection of stuff.... I'm going to have to go through my OEM toolkit again to see what's there and maybe add some more tools. I like the fuses, spare levers, first aid kit, and some of the other stuff you keep your bag.

Looks like I have some things to buy this weekend!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Surgical gloves would keep your paws clean and they pack small. I must say you sure have survival kit for the road. Did this come about through bitter experience or common sense ?? lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
water warrior said:
Surgical gloves would keep your paws clean and they pack small. I must say you sure have survival kit for the road. Did this come about through bitter experience or common sense ?? lol.
The surgical gloves are a great idea (he says updating his kit). . . .

My "collection" came about via previous experience and previous PPP (PissPoorPlanning). . . .
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice. Thanks for all the ideas and I'll remember to use the search function first. :oops:
I like the idea of using a compressor vs. CO2. I have a compressor under the hood of my Jeep as well as a "PowerTank" (20lb CO2 bottle) for airing up the Jeep's tires after off roading. The CO2 is faster, but it seems like every time I really need it, it's flat empty and I have to use the compressor anyway. :roll:
I have to pick up some of those clear plastic tubes from the hardware store also. Is that what folks also use to store your registration and insurance documents in? Better ideas for paperwork? Thanks!
 

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
Joined
·
38,103 Posts
Use vinyl or nitrile gloves. Gas, oil and grease eat the latex ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
MDStrommer said:
I have to pick up some of those clear plastic tubes from the hardware store also. Is that what folks also use to store your registration and insurance documents in? Better ideas for paperwork? Thanks!
To bulky for me. . . . . I scan my DL, my AMEX card, My registration and Insurance document into the computer, put 2 images per page and print the two pages. Folded and stashed inside my owners handbook which is in a ZipLoc in the tankbag.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Greywolf, surgical gloves are a freebie for me. I don't care how long they last. The cupboard is always full of them, same for earplugs. Nitrile gloves aren't a familiar name to me, tell me more please.
 

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
Joined
·
38,103 Posts
Latex will fail in petroleum products almost immediately. Nitrile gloves are purple and more resistant to chemicals than other materials. I get them at home improvement stores to apply oil based stain to wood.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,454 Posts
Purple you say. Hmmmm. I think that would be in the cupboard as well. Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
The most important tool (after a cell phone and credit card)...

Half a roll of toilet paper enclosed in a plastic baggy. Lot's of uses, in addition to what first comes to mind.

- Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Impressive you must have the 1000. :D

Compared To What? said:
In the tail section I keep this. . . .



And in the tank bag this. . . Small can WD40, $ 20 bill, 12V Female receptacle for Powerlet, First Aid Kit, Copy of DL, Insurance, Registration, Cordstops, Earplugs, Felt Pen, Small Maglite, Small Yellow swivel head flashlight, Foldup scissors, Small Hairbrush, Pkg HandiWipes, Hat, Insect repellent, Key # tag, Leatherman, Micro screwdriver set, Motrin, Owners manual, $10 in Quarters, Reading glasses, Sun screen, Sunglasses, Visine, Tinted Visor, Waterproof matches in case, Whistle & compass, Carmex, Mosquito repellent, Side Stand Plate, Tire pressure guage, D70s & ZEN Micro Batteries.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
mike183 said:
Impressive you must have the 1000. :D
Nope. . . .just a little 6Fiddy.

I've got an old motto (dates back to my "early" motorcycle days). . .

"To be repaired, you gotta be prepared"
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top