StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not necessarily the little one you carry on your bike, but what kind of stuff would you want to have on hand to service and work on your bike?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The tool bag I carry in my luggage weighs about 15 pounds. It has all the tools I need for jobs I'm willing to do on the side of the road.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I've added a tire repair kit, an air compressor, a piece cut off a 12mm hex key for the front axle and a socket set.

·
38,048 Posts
I guess I'm thinking more in terms of what would I want to keep in the garage
I've changed the thread title to fit that.

A table lift is the main piece.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hex head sockets and an air compressor...and a full assortment of metric sockets. And my most recent purchase...a dang filter wrench to fit the small oil filter.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I guess I'm thinking more in terms of what would I want to keep in the garage
I don't have a garage, but the garage itself would be a great tool. The mechanics bag I carry has all the tools I typically need.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Along with the afore-mentioned ratchets and metric sockets, etc., I find a good torque wrench indispensable. It'll save a lot of swearing and subsequent additional down-time for your bike!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The older I get, the more I would like a table lift and a tire changer. Between the 5 bikes, 2 - 1T trucks, an SUV, a 20" boat, a 60' boat, a toy hauler and 2 residences, I already have too many hand tools dispersed.
A built in, flush mount lift would be ideal

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
+1 on the table lift.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how nice it is to have a set of t-handle hex wrenches.

I also like the cap-style oil filter wrench I finally purchased which actually fits the oil filters (my old strap style was just a little too big and gave me much frustration).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not to start a poo-poo war, but if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can buy loads of handtools pretty cheap. I have spent a decent amount of my annual income now that I have a 2 car garage for motorcycles only.

T handle hex wrenches, full set of metric sockets, 3/8 & 1/2" hex drives, sockets, all kinds of extensions, wobble heads, drill bits out the wazoo, small dirt bike lift, magnets on telescoping rods, work gloves, rubber gloves, cheapy paint brushed for cleaning, angle grinder, impact wrench, the list goes on & all reasonably priced & fully functional for a weekend wrencher.

Need to add a tire changer, air compressor, and damn 110V power to the garage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
what range of metric sockets would cover everything you might need?
The smallest is 8mm, the largest is 32mm for the countersprocket nut, but sizes like 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, and 31 are not needed.

On my bike I have some smaller than 8mm that go with various accessories, and 19mm is the size of the Soupy adjustable dogbones. When I work on the bike, my tool bag tends to expand because I add the tools I use as I go along.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Everything I need to tear the bike apart piece by piece and then put it all back together.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
In terms of bike specific tools I have a chain alignment tool (laser one), a cable oiler, a set of digital callipers (bought for bike work) and a chain breaker/joiner. The rest are general stuff like Allen keys, spanners and sockets.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Not necessarily the little one you carry on your bike, but what kind of stuff would you want to have on hand to service and work on your bike?
My heated garage with my lift, tire change machine, and my roll around tool box with all my hand tools acquired over the last 40 years. See the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Blue loctite, I use it on almost everything and go on the very light side with torque on non crucial fasteners. It does wonders preventing stripped bolts and parts falling off on the road.

Big sockets are great for driving in seals/bearings.

Adhesive shrink wrap, it protects and waterproofs connections.

A turkey baster for cleaning out master cylinders.

Mighty vac for brake bleeding.

Chain tool from mikesxs.

Impact wrench, when you need it, you need it. I also have a torch if things are real bad.

PBblaster. Spray it on a few days before you start a project and everything goes oh so much smoother.

I will not go cheap on hex head tools. I have had too many strip outs to deal with them anymore.

Rubber mallet, for when you need to smack the crap out of something and not mar the hell out of it.

Black AND silver sharpies for marking reference points.

One of those headlights for MY head.

Good bike stands. A front triple clamp stand is indispensable for fork work.

Two eye bolts into rafters in the ceiling. They let you suspend the bike with ratchet straps if need be. A whole bike lift is great if you need to pull the steering head off, they can however go down overnight and smash the bike. The ceiling straps prevent this.

Easy outs or some kind of broken bolt extractor. Helicoils/timeserts if you get in deep trouble.

·
38,048 Posts
The right size socket works fine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts