StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone! I'm a freshman out here, been reading threads and wondering. I feel there's a lot of guys out here, whose comments on this topic would be a bless! Also, I see that I have made a good decision getting a Wee. Been taking a few test rides and I can say, I like it.
Now, since last fall, I have been looking to get myself a Wee, released somwhere around 2007+. Now I have found a bike that's 2007, loaded with hard cases, crash bars etc, the first owner rode it till last spring. He always used local Suzuki dealer for maintenance and checks. He used it for what it's built for - travel. All across the Europe and further. The bike has roughly 80k on the clock. I'm planning to go see that bike this weekend.
I'm a little conserned about the km on the odo, not too much though.
My main point, making this thread is: what should I be aware or look maybe more closely at a bike that's been on the road for purpose for 80k km? Considering, it's always/mostly been used with luggage and "who knows" on which roads (I mean, it's not all highways around here), might it be a bad choice and I should be keeping my eyes open for a little longer? I'm looking for a bike for longer period of time, and I'm also not interested in owning a bike just to start fixing it right away.
What do you think about all that- am I ower thinking or there's a truth somewhere between?

Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Relatively new Wee owner here, but I'll give it a shot. Buying a bike with that many kms would definitely give me pause, especially if I wanted to ride it long term. Buying a bike with low miles was one of my few hard requirements because I've gone through buying 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles with high hours/miles and it can turn it into a project.

That said, that doesn't mean it's not worth checking out, but if you are not mechanically inclined I would avoid it altogether because you won't know what to look for. You are definitely going to want to do a full tune up, regardless of maintenance claims made by the owner, unless you see hard evidence of service dates and mileages.

There are definitely low mileage Wees out there, you just have to be patient. I bought my 09 about a month ago with under 7k on the clock.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
My 04 Wee has 100K miles and i'm looking forward to the next 100K miles. If the bike was dealer serviced they probably kept it up pretty well since the PO kept going back to them. There are a few examples of Stroms going many 100K's miles.Kinda depends on the service and whether the mechanic is a hack.
The good in the 07's and later is the dual spark and the possibility of ABS. They still tend to be as durable as the early years.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I suggest that you when you take the bike for a test ride, go visit the dealer that serviced the bike and have a chat with him or the mechanic. If as being said that they did all the services, then they should be able to give you good advice of what still needs attention. Try determine the age of the battery and test the voltage of the charging system is around 14.8V at 2,500 - 5,000 rpm, using a multimeter across the battery terminals - all after market accessories turned off.
An alternative is to find someone with a similar model V-Strom that lives close by and have a chat or ask them to accompany you, when you go look at the bike.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I like the first gen 650, it has some nice features that were lost on later versions. At 80K km, the mileage on the '07 isn't too much of an issue if maintained well, I have 84K MILES on mine and it runs great. However, there are a lot of lower mileage bikes, so the value (asking price) should be very low. Sitting can be detrimental too, so very low miles can not always be a great thing.

It would be important to see service records. Also, make note of the sellers garage and belongings, if things are clean, neat, and look to be well cared for, it may be safe to say his motorcycle is too.

Accessories add little to the value of a used bike, so are always a plus for the buyer, especially if they are things you want. if not you can sell them off (here) and recoup a good amount of your investment.

Things that are known to sometimes go bad are stators and headlights. If the stator has been replaced you're good, if not there's a good chance it may be a "good" one and never have an issue. Headlights fail, sometimes intermittently, and require a relay to prevent the issue, it won't fix an already failed unit however.

Other than that, just check the usual things on the bike.

Chain should be free of rust, kinks, and show signs of oiling.

Tire wear - worn tires can be a negotiating point.

Brake pad thickness.

Check for rust in the tank.

Steering head bearings - if the bike has a center stand, have someone weight the rear to raise the front wheel, pull forks back and forth to feel for play.

Look for scratches on levers and bar ends for signs of dropping.

Reactions: PMargo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone, who took time to give me a bit of advice! I value your contribution to educating me in this matter. I figured I'll just make a little check-list, including the tips and know-how I've managed to collect.
Now as for the stator problems. Been reading threads here about them and I get it - some are more blessed with the issue than the others. I got another 650 to be checked out, where the owner says, he replaced the stator about 7-8k km ago. Odo reads 40k at the moment. Should I take the voltmeter with me just in case, or it's unlikely to have the stator issue again in such short period?
Thanks again and cheers!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes, take your voltmeter for both bikes. As others have said, the stator problem is likely to be the most expensive one you would face. There are usually lots of good DL650's to be found if you are patient (maybe even expand your search to neighbouring Baltic countries) so if it fails the voltage test, I'd just move on to the next bike. Other stuff is more like normal wear and tear or maintenance. At some point you will replace tires and brakes anyway. Maybe the seller would reduce the price by half the cost of new tires if they are getting close. I'd be OK with that. I don't like to be "nickle and dimed" when I am selling and don't do it to others.

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: PMargo

·
Registered
854 Posts
With good maintenance most motorcycles will go well over 100K MILES. In addition to inspecting the bike as much as possible, bear in mind that a bike with a lot of miles will have a lot lower value than one with less miles when it comes time to sell it. And the bike with higher miles will be harder to sell. I love older bikes but I am careful to not pay too much for a well used one. Think about what the bike could be resold for in a year or so before you buy it. You may want a bigger bike, a smaller bike, or a newer, shinier bike in a year.

Cheers

RLBranson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm sure thinking, thinking and thinking once more about the price. I'll try not to overthink, since the season is coming. After doing some research, I set the price range and what I expect to get for that. Ofcourse, there is some flex to it. I've been doing good so far and planning to keep going. I aknowledge, that I'm buying a used bike, so I'm not going to be a bi*ch about it, just want to be smart and reasonable. I know I'm on the right track here, so I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to sell the bike in next 5-10 years. I'm a keeper kind of guy and I'd like to keep it that way.
BTW MR. slovcan I was living/travelling/working in Canada with my wife in 2018. We never met a person that would know, where Baltics, not to mention Estonia is. :) It was great there! (y)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Two easy addition checks to look at, the engine oil level (the owner can help hold the bike while you check) and the brake fluid color plus fluid level. Too low or too high engine oil is normally a sign of either neglect or maybe something possibly going wrong. Brake fluid condition will tell something about the owner's maintenance habits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own a 2007 V-Strom

Purchased:
December 2, 2012
34,331 miles

Jan 29, 2020
77,253 miles
----------------------------
42,922 miles so far

Well taken care of and running great!
I'm planning on 100,000 miles and more...

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I have a 2012 with 109,000 miles. That's 175,418 km. I've never repacked the steering stem bearings but I do check them on occasion. Never done swing arm bearings either. Valve checks every 30,000 miles. These things are as reliable as a hammer. As mentioned previously, check the wiring to the headlights. The headlight current goes through the starter switch and is a known failure point. If the switch fails, you'll lose your headlight. Check the charging circuit. You should see 13.8-14.2 VDC at the battery at 3000 rpm. (not 14.8 as Gerd mentioned) Look at the general state of everything. If it looks well cared for, it probably is. Other then the stator and the headlight switch, it's just another chain drive motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Just for the record, the K4 Wee service manual states: Charging output (Regulated voltage): 14.0 - 15.5 V at 5 000 r/min. (see section 8-9)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When it comes to charging, I see that roughly it's gotta be over 13v(13.5v if you like) at rev, any lower, like 12.5v is a sign of trouble.
I'm getting a really good list here. I think not only for purchase period/lookout but for the future as well. All quite important stuff to keep my eye on and bike running nice and smooth. Thanks for that!
Since there's not too many Wees for sale here, there's a chance that my Wee is coming from Germany. Greetings to fella' riders there (y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
PMargo, you might wanna check the Wees from your northern neighbour as well, I bought mine a month ago and it was cheaper than what they're asking for the cheapest DL650 in Germany...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Would you have any suggestions, where should I look? Nettimoto doesn't seem to have much for sale.
Cheers mate!

PMargo, you might wanna check the Wees from your northern neighbour as well, I bought mine a month ago and it was cheaper than what they're asking for the cheapest DL650 in Germany...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would you have any suggestions, where should I look? Nettimoto doesn't seem to have much for sale.
Cheers mate!
Nettimoto or Tori, that's about all we have. Reasonably priced bikes tend to be sold quickly. WTB ad could work, most people are waiting for spring to put their bikes for sale.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought my 2005 with 94km (59k miles in the UK) and knowing what I was letting myself in for spent the first two weeks wrenching on it. Its pretty sorted now though with new fork seals, hoses, oil, filters, some Kurust on the iffy spots and shiny new brake discs. Valves were within spec despite showing signs of never having been looked at.

These bikes show remarkable resilience to hard labour and I have no doubt I'll get another 60k miles on it with proper maintainence.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts