StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a used, 2004, wee in my area for sale. What should I look for/at when going over this bike before I make an offer? I am eager to make the purchase, but I want to make sure that I don't buy someone else's problems. Any suggestions from the experts would be much appreciated.

· Registered
230 Posts
I have found a used, 2004, wee in my area for sale. What should I look for/at when going over this bike before I make an offer? I am eager to make the purchase, but I want to make sure that I don't buy someone else's problems. Any suggestions from the experts would be much appreciated.
What kind of miles are on the thing?

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
Maintenance records are a major sticking point for me. Also check the chain is not too tight and the links are not kinked, there are no leaks and the controls are working properly. Tire wear, condition and age are clues too. Checking for noises is often mentioned but these bikes are mechanically noisy to start with so it doesn't apply well.

· Registered
11 Posts
It is easy to tell if a bike has been taken care of aethetically after a few years, but the other things (maintenance, problems, etc.) are a little harder.

It seems to me you can tell a lot from the owner. If they are proud of their motorcycle, or show a passion for upkeeping their motorcycle by showing you what they did, when they did it, how they did it etc. then in my experience most of the time the bikes are well taken care of. If they are very vague on their answers or they don't give any information without you asking for it, I feel as though I am taking more of a chance with that bike.

Good luck.

· Registered
391 Posts
I agree with the above. I've bought bikes from sellers who took pictures of their garages to show me how anal they are about taking care of their stuff. Maintenance records along with a personal impression are not full proof, but they reduce the likelihood of making an error when purchasing pre owned. That being said, I always anticipate additional costs when buying something pre owned. I like to start by doing an oil, tire and possibly brake pad change right off the bat. That way I'm assured of at least starting fresh.

· Registered
773 Posts
Mechanical issues are much more important to me than how shiny the plastic is.

Check oil level, check tires, check chain tightness, how does it start? check forks pitted? , check brakes, solid for another 20K? These bikes are very tough, get great value for what they are.

I have a very loaded 2005 for sale with 16K for $4,000. That should give you an idea.

· Registered
49 Posts
Also look at the wiring. Look to see if the factory harness has been hacked into for electrical add-ons or repairs. The major bits of the electrical system are right under the seat so be sure to have a look under there. Electrical add-ons & repairs are o.k. if they are done right. If factory connetors, plugs, etc. are whacked off & the wires just twisted together with a wad of electrical tape, walk away.

· Registered
162 Posts
Along those same lines...

Just agreed, though haven't mailed the check yet, to $3,500 for a 10K mile 2004 Weestrom. Alum bags, knobbies, custom seat, aftermarket shield, engine guards....good shape....

From what I can tell, decent price for the year married with the miles....

Any thoughts?

Oh...I want to get a skid plate for the bike...any suggestions?

Thanks.....

· Registered
969 Posts
Taking a friend to look it over is a good idea as long as they aren't a Harley fanatic. They have a tendency to think the only bike worth a lick is a Harley. I've dealt with this many times when selling bikes. I've never been able to sell a bike to someone that brought a Harley friend. I now ask the friend what they ride and if they say Harley I answer there question but don't offer anything.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You hit the nail on the head. My law partner rides a Harley and believes that everything else is junk-not the most helpful comments. The friend that I am taking over is a BMW rider, but he has riden a DL650 in the past and liked it. I am a little concerned about the miles, 42,000, but the price, under $2,000, is right and if the maintenance was as impecable as represented, it may be a good buy. Thanks for the input.

· Registered
773 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. My law partner rides a Harley and believes that everything else is junk-not the most helpful comments. The friend that I am taking over is a BMW rider, but he has riden a DL650 in the past and liked it. I am a little concerned about the miles, 42,000, but the price, under $2,000, is right and if the maintenance was as impecable as represented, it may be a good buy. Thanks for the input.
bike is not even close to be broken in, Do NOT fear 42,000 miles, that is nothing, unless your talking about a Harley.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
bike is not even close to be broken in, Do NOT fear 42,000 miles, that is nothing, unless your talking about a Harley.
Yes, don't worry about mileage if the bike looks clean and was well maintained. The mileage will scare a lot of people away, which is why you can get a low price. I'm trying to sell my '09 with 20K miles, and it's a tough sell, even though I think of it as new. My Harley is coming up on 170K miles, and still runs great.

· Registered
24 Posts
I bought an 04 last summer, had 5,800mi on it, a few scratches here and there because the guy dropped it once while taking it on gravel roads.
I paid 4,000... the owners house was meticulous, garage meticulous, he had all service records, and as much information he could get from the previous owner to him. Obvious he took care of everything he owns. Was selling his Wee because he was buying another bike, and couldn't fit both into the garage.
I found it on Craigslist, and bought it within a few hours :mrgreen: great bike!
It is not uncommon for these bikes to take a lot of miles... so anything under 50,000 still has a very long ways to go:thumbup:.
The VStrom/SV650 motor I'm told is one of the best built motors, and will run forever.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the input. Unfortunately, when I went to look at the bike this weekend it was pretty disappointing. The bike was very dirty, the handguards were broken and the end cap on the handlebar was bent. Worse, the gas cap had been pried open so that it would no longer make a good seal and there were rust spots inside the tank. The price was right, but there are just too many unknowns. I passed on the deal.

· Registered
197 Posts
Well put-!!

It is easy to tell if a bike has been taken care of aethetically after a few years, but the other things (maintenance, problems, etc.) are a little harder.

It seems to me you can tell a lot from the owner. If they are proud of their motorcycle, or show a passion for upkeeping their motorcycle by showing you what they did, when they did it, how they did it etc. then in my experience most of the time the bikes are well taken care of. If they are very vague on their answers or they don't give any information without you asking for it, I feel as though I am taking more of a chance with that bike.

Good luck.

· Premium Member
432 Posts
Thanks for all of the input. Unfortunately, when I went to look at the bike this weekend it was pretty disappointing. The bike was very dirty, the handguards were broken and the end cap on the handlebar was bent. Worse, the gas cap had been pried open so that it would no longer make a good seal and there were rust spots inside the tank. The price was right, but there are just too many unknowns. I passed on the deal.
I would have done the same thing. Keep looking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.