StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to drive 150 miles to look at 1000. Anything specific I should be looking for with a 2003 with 23K?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Me too. Just bought one off Ebay. Have been eyeing them for years, waiting for the prices to come down. Price was right...56K miles doesn't scare me, but what to look for when I get it here. Thanks

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have an 03.. the only thing i DONT like about it is the lack of windshields available for it.. plus ya cant use a madstad bracket.. other than that.. I love it

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
Yep

A 2004. Bought my 2002 some years back, and it has been very satisfactory. But if I was wind sensitive (and I'm not, since I bought is specifically to ride in warm weather with plentiful breeze) I'd have wanted a more effective windshield, which generally means 2004 onwards. mechanically, there's little to separate the DL-1000 years, but the adjustable windshield is a big deal to some folks, and there's no easy way to get it on a 2003.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the 03, and an 07. I bought the 03 with a very short and an extra tall windshield. Since they came with the bike, I don't know what brand they are. The PO told me he prefered the short shield, but so far, I'm likeing the tall one better. I'm 6'5". The other real difference between the two, is the dash. It's easier for me to see the dash on the 07.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Uhhh... that's the yellow year, right? Make sure the paint is still shiny? :mrgreen:

There's really nothing year-specific to watch for. No windshield works best, IMHO, but that's been done to death. Chudder affects all Vee years, but it sure would be nice if that's been handled already.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks......could any of you give me the first 5 things to check? I am toying with going to Yellowstone Harley to pick it up and ride it home....I have a little mechanical ability, enough so I think, that I could avoid a dealer...or maybe not. What do you think? 1) check all fluid levels 2) chain tightness 3) change oil 4) ?? 5) ??

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
1000 miles

ask the Harley dealer to throw an oil change.

If there is a little tread left on the tires you should be fine.

When I test.... your test ride
Due about 5 miles around the dealer.... if fine do the deal

Next take a 25 mile ride near a dealer ask about suzi's. If that goes well just point her east and go

Note you will be passing near the Bear Tooth Highway... world famous

·
Registered
66 Posts
There isn't a lot that goes wrong with these.. I have an '03 with 35K or so.. the only thing that's failed is the clutch slave cylinder. Run an ungloved finger under the cylinder to check for the presence of fluid. If it's wet, prepare for a simple o-ring replacement but use this as a bargaining tool.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yep 30K on my 03 vee and only changed the clutch slave O rings, counter shaft seal, 1 set rear brakes, tires, oil, 1 chain, and 1 pesky spark plug socket.

I did some preventative maintenance fuel filter mod, 17 43 tooth, changed the little hose between throttle bodies.

I have tried to talk myself into another bike many times and just cant, she runs TOO damn good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 03 and looking at a Cee Bailey windsheild to replace the stock one. I do know some riders who have gotten or fabbed a windshield and installed a Madstad between existing shield and the fabbed secondary shield. But for the price I would probably go with the Cee Bailey. Lamimnar Lip folks also have a quasi solution. I bought my 03 w/ 8K kms and now have 34k kms. Enjoy. :yesnod:

·
Registered
498 Posts
a test ride will tell the story, If you aren't turned off by the wind buffeting then I think these bikes are a great deal. as stated earlier with a little effort they will run with the new ones just fine! with the money you save you can go wild making it your own.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have an '03 with the Cee Bailey w/s and it works great; I have ~37K on it, and had the clutch basket rebuilt because it was so noisy - I never noticed it, but once "my guy" pointed it out I realized that I had been spending way too much time around Ducatis!
I also had to replace botht he clutch master and slave cylinders - I put on SS lines and couldn't get it to bleed properly, so I replaced both as they weren't to expensive.
Get a gel seat - worth the $$.
Richland Rick makes a nice switch plate that fits around the ignition; and I raised the bars and installed a throtlemeister.

KL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Go for it

Mine is 03 with 34k + and last summer all the magnets let loose so the charging system went down. White Marine Tex fixed that.
The windshield thing too I run a tall one in the winter and a very short one in the summer I'm here in NC.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts