StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the opportunity for a good deal (I think) on a well maintained and adult-ridden 2005 Wee with 31,xxx miles. The original plan was to get something newer (2008 or better), so I don't know much about the 2005 variety. Is there anything I should look for or ask about or watch for if she comes home with me?

·
Registered
251 Posts
05 wee

Mine is up to 53,000 basically trouble free miles. The only thing that I feel it needs is the Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit.
Curt

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is up to 53,000 basically trouble free miles. The only thing that I feel it needs is the Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit.
That gives me a good feeling.

Is there anything different about the 2005 (compared to a 2008 or newer)? You know, does the oil cooler actually run full of maple syrup (only in Canada)? Does it require "super round" tires? Any particulars or peculiarities? Or have the production years been largely the same?

The blue ones are the fast ones :)
Rats. This one's red.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
o5 wee

In 53000 miles the only problems tht I have had are: Front sparkplug drowned out because the drain hole to clear the well was plugged by a mud dauber wasp, 2 Headlight switch burned out. 3 Headlight plug under the tank burned out. Number one was no fault of the bike, and 2 and 3 could have been eliminated by the EB relay kit. There is a huge draw on tiny wires in the headlight circuit. Oher than those I have only had to change normal wear items. Tires, chains, sprockets and fuel.
Curt
OH and an oi; change every 3000 miles LOL

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
My 05 Wee has the same mileage as your potential bike. I have had no problems since new and no real drama to contend with except making it fit an old retired body. It is a good bike and has served me well in the past and am looking forward to lots more riding before I hang up my boots.
I really doubt you will go wrong getting a well maintained used Wee.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, folks! I'm feeling very good about making this bike my own, now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
I replaced my K9 with an K5 after the K9 got totaled, and I have to say that I like the K5 a little better. It seems to have a bit more oomph than my K9 did, and the ability to manually adjust the idle does have its advantages. Plus I save 50% on spark plug changes ;)

I have had zero problems (knock on wood) with the bike and have put upwards of 15,000 miles on it since I got it 2 years ago. At ca. 23,000 miles, it is just about due for new chain and sprocket, and I just replaced the rear brake pads, but I also ride a lot of dirt/gravel roads, which does the chain and sprockets no favors.

The only "negative" I have noticed is that the K9 got a bit better gas mileage, averaging about 48-50 mpg for my work commute (mix of back roads at 65 indicated and interstate at 80-90 indicated), while the K5 typically is in the 43-45 range for the same trip. However, I will also note that always ride with a top case on the K5 and did not have one on my K9, and on longer road trips without a lot of interstate or starting and stopping, I have gotten upwards of 48 mpg, and that was with the top case and side cases installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts