StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, riding my Vee all winter here in Toronto on a daily commute (about 40k's a day) I would like to know what would you do to keep all the points on the bike lubed and such...I do lube my chain almost every other morning as our city crews like to put down salt at the 1st hint of flurries. About 2 or 3 times a month I find myself at a car was place washing the salt away from underneath her belly and then I blast the chain with a high power pressure spray. I then dry her off with compressed air and lint free rags....Lube up the chain while she is idling on the center in gear. Also lube the throttle cables, clutch and brake leavers, foot pegs and most hinges (kick stand, passenger pegs, key slots for Give Top case, Ignition Key and Seat/helmet locks)

Just looking for any other tips I could do to make the Vee purr all year long. I bought my Vee in May of 2010 with 675k's and 8 months of daily riding I have almost 17,000k's on her now. Only maintenance I have done is regular oil/filter changes (at 4k full synthetic) and cleaned the air filter. She runs great. What should I keep my eyes and ears out for in the coming months as far as maintenance?

And yes, I am crazy for riding all year round :green_lol:

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I ride a lot with salt and crap and haven't done much ast all in the way of extra lubing the bike. On occasion the centerstand gets a bike sticky and I spray some HHS2000 on it. I do spray the chain liberally (with HHS 2000) and spray some stuff in the keyholes (fluid film.) Apart from my aftermarket highway pegs, I haven't seen any rust on my bike in 145,000 km and 4.5 years.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I may get some crap over this but here goes...

Never...ever, use a high pressure sprayer on a motorcyle. It is worse than the salt...worse than loaning your bike to your brother in law. High pressure sprayers easily push water past seals where it sits and does irreparable harm to the innards of bearings and such. I see this sin many times a year working on bikes and ATVs in my part time repair buiness. I guess it dioes keep me in beer money fixing the offenders bikes though.

If your hose is froze...wait, or thaw it out. If a pressure washer is all you have keep it 2 feet from anything with a bearing or seal. Every O ring on a chain is a seal that protects grease inside the link.

Let the thrashing begin....:-0

·
Registered
435 Posts
Let the thrashing begin....:-0
I'm with you. I cringe every time I'm on a long ride and my buddies have to go wash their bikes at the car wash. Jeez, all you are going to do is damage it and it's going to get dirty again anyway!

My favorite is my buddy who is "trying to make this chain last" while spraying it with a car wash pressure hose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I know :) I do keep the spray nozzle about 2 or 3 feet away from all critical parts where there is about a 2 foot wide mist that hits the bike. I knew I was in for it, but I was just looking for some tips on anything that I should be doing during the slushy winter months as I hate the thought of my bike rusting up. Should I take the bike to those oiling places that do under-spray on cars and oil the bike up? :yikes: kidding here :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pressure washers are O.K, IF you keep them well away and set the nozzle for a wide fan.
Even a poorly trained garden hose can blow water past seals, so common sense is always required.
BTW, there are some salt neutralising washes coming onto the market now for trailer boats, I can't see why they wouldn't be extremely effective on motorcycles so affected.

Regards, Andrew.

·
Registered
435 Posts
...as I hate the thought of my bike rusting up.
Me too. These days I'm washing the bike almost every time I ride it.

It's a major PITA; 20F out, gotta immediately drain and coil the hose, last time I couldn't get the key in the ignition 'cause of ice.

Somewhere out there is a spray-on clear coat that's designed to protect motorcycles and the like from salt spray. It's supposed to wash off when you are done with it.

Never used it, but I'm curious. I'm also curious as to how it is supposed to know that the "spray" is me trying to remove it, and not salt spray.

·
Registered
22,198 Posts
after my experience day before yesterday, I have to recommend going darkside.

I went for a ride doing some errands, temps in the mid 20's, bright sunny, roads bare, even though we had a "blizzard":confused: last week, we've also had a couple warm days into the low 40s since.

My total ride was about 60 or 70 miles, the last 8 miles coming home, the sky went from bright sunshine to a cloud of doom, within a half mile the snow was an inch deep and whiteout or near whiteout conditions, I quickly caught up with the cage in front of me that was creeping 15-20mph thankfully he turned off within a ¼ mile, before I knew it, the snow was 2½-3 inches deep and I was still riding 5-10 over the 35 mph limit, by now, I was on a gravel road, it was steeper, both uphill and dowhill, the studded Karoo T up front was doing its job, as was my General altimax Artic in the rear

and then the snow squall stopped as abruptly as it started

I as comfortable on a snow covered road on my bike as I do in my Jeep Cherokee

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great suggestions guys...Will look into the clear coat thing...and I like the idea of WD40 after washing....any places to avoid spraying WD40 other than the brakes and tires? Will WD40 hard any plastics that I might over-spray on?? Yesterday was my 1st day taking the cage to work due to very slippery roads (I am crazy, but not stupid) and had to pay $44.00 parking ($14 dollar meter and $30 parking ticket as I was 10 mins late to feed the meter and the hounds got me lol) that's the main reason I ride all year....FREE PARKING!!! and I love the looks on peoples faces..V-Tom I am with you on the cold fingers but have found a nice deer skin mitten instead of the fingered Thermal warmer type gloves (I have tried 4 pairs and the mitts are the best) Happy trails all, and thanks for the info...

·
Registered
22,198 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a little after I got my Wee, I was filling up at the gas station on a cold morning, but when I tried to get the key out of the gas cap it wouldn't come out. I panicked, but was glad that I didn't have the bike in the "locked" position, so I was able to push it to a parking spot.

I asked for some help, and someone had a great idea: go into the mini-mart and get some hot water and pour it over the key. That got me going again, but also made me feel stupid for not thinking of doing that :) .

·
Registered
13 Posts
randyo: You put a car tire on the back wheel of your strom? Like this tire?

General Altimax Arctic

How did you stud your front tire? I was thinking about giving studded tires a try, but from what I can tell, nobody actually sells studded motorcycle tires (I've read things about studding a tire)... also I'm a bit weary of studded tires since the closest thing I've encountered to studded tires is a screw head sticking out an 1/8" from my tire causing the bike lurch at high speeds.

With your set-up, what is the fastest speed that you go? How well does your set-up work when there is no ice or snow around?

Here in western washington we normally get about 1 "snow week" on average, although we tend to either get mild winters with zero snow, or winters with a few "snow weeks"... although I've thought it would be really nice to go up to the ski resorts in which case there is always a possibility of snow on the road (actually, I *hope* there is snow on the road so the skiing is good).

Thanks,
-Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts