StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. To start off I have never in my 66 years ever joined any forum. Don't know a lot about threads and the like. So with that I hope you have patience for/with me. Thanks in advance.
I have been riding bikes off and on since I was 12 or so. Last bike was a 1200 sportster. Got tired of leaning over so Im looking at purchasing a used V-strom.
With that, I have a few questions. I apologize early if this is NOT where I am suppose to do this.
Q: are there any years I should stay away from?
What is considered too many miles for a used bike?
Anything I should look for?
Anything you can think of I would appreciate.... Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome, Mike! I'm pretty new to V-Stroms so can only tell you that my first generation 650 (2010) is amazing. All of the 650s have potential problems with the stator/RR combination, so you should either be sure to buy one that has an upgraded RR and a voltmeter, or budget to make those changes immediately.

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Welcome to the Stromtroopers.
How much money would you like to spend?
Have you looked in the For Sale Section?
That is where I found my current cycle.
Never regretted it either.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Welcome, Mike! I'm pretty new to V-Stroms so can only tell you that my first generation 650 (2010) is amazing. All of the 650s have potential problems with the stator/RR combination, so you should either be sure to buy one that has an upgraded RR and a voltmeter, or budget to make those changes immediately.
This is a very broad statement and does not really reflect reality. Other makes also have stator failures, so I would not use that as a decisive criteria. Yes install a V meter if it does not have one so you can monitor the health of the system.

Now to your questions. They have been asked before so spend a little time and do a google search on this site or including stromtrooper in the search string. You will find a lot of good information.

There are differences between the different models, not so much from year to year. So I would say don't worry about what year it is, that is not a decisive factor. You need to narrow the choice by how much you want to spend and what features are a must, like ABS which the oder models don't have.

Mileage: There is a 2002 VEE with over 400k miles so don't get scared by a bike with 40k or 60k at the right price, if it has not been abused.

There will be may older bikes that are perfectly fine, if you can live without ABS. They will be well farkeled and likely be a real bargain. They don't hold value well unlike a BMW or Harley, so you will get a lot of bike for a reasonable cost making it a low risk investment. If you really don't like it you can probably sell it again with little loss.

Look here and if need be do a fly and ride. You are likely to find an honest deal from members here. Plus check Craig's list and e-bay and try to buy in the off-season for better prices. Always find out why the bike is for sale. Many get bit by the new bike bug and then the old one needs to go. That's the one you want to buy.

good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. Will look into the Stator problem and price for a new one. When you mentioned volt meter, are you referring to the one on the instrument cluster or are you telling me to purchase one for testing?
I was looking to spend about 3K. Need to sell my Z71 first. From what I am looking at you can buy a pretty nice one for that.... But miles start to get higher, hence the milage question.... Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blaustrom, thanks for clarifying the volt meter question. Maybe a dumb question but: Is "See" short for V Strom"?
Whats does Farkeled mean... Scratched up, dinged up????
Another question: I see a few guys say they have dropped the bike at speed between 5-10 mph. Any thing to worry about... What should I be looking for?
I realize I sound like a new rider, but I never went this route in a bike and want the Best Buy for the buck...
Thanks Guys.... Mike

·
aka Rick in Alabama
500 Posts
Welcome, and the way I see it you can't go wrong with a VStrom.

Plenty of power
Bullet proof engines and known Suzuki reliability
Nimble handling
Widespread dealer network
Strong after market support and lots of "tweakability" to outfit it to your liking

At this time I'm able to have two bikes. Nine times out of ten when I head out to run and errand and decide to go on two wheels, I roll the DL650 out and take off with a smile on my face.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Blaustrom, thanks for clarifying the volt meter question. Maybe a dumb question but: Is "See" short for V Strom"?
Whats does Farkeled mean... Scratched up, dinged up????
Another question: I see a few guys say they have dropped the bike at speed between 5-10 mph. Any thing to worry about... What should I be looking for?
I realize I sound like a new rider, but I never went this route in a bike and want the Best Buy for the buck...
Thanks Guys.... Mike
Google is your friend for answers to many of your questions. You need to read for a few days to become familiar with the abbreviations usded here:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/174753-how-identify-vee-wee-glee.html
Farkles: Are "improvements" added to the bike; http://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/105497-most-farkle-important-things-3.html
If you have a short inseam, the WEE and VEE are tall, you may drop them. Or if you decide to go through sand or mud .... you may drop the bike.

3K should get you a decent bike but will be a few years old. Make sure it was ridden regularly, properly maintained (owner maintained is ok in my book, I do all myself) and has the most important improvements = farkles installed (like suspension upgrades, luggage, windscreen and Madstad braket, seat ...) even if you need to spend a little more. More things top look up :)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
My stator died the other day so cost is top of line .....there is a cool item with 2 x USB outlets and a voltmeter handbar mounted ...

$265 for the part
$90 for labour.

125,000 km on the 2010 DL650.

I'd not be too worried - they are solid machines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've got 23k miles on my 09 abs wee (650) that I bought new, no problems. My friend got a 2013 650, wee2?. We swapped for a while on a ride and the new version has some nicer handling, and more grunt. But after an hour I made him trade back as I was missing my 'leg room'. I found the riding position significantly different. But I've had back surgery to fix a few things and am sensitive to the ergonomics.

I tested the new 1000 abs when they came and out were on a 'fire sale' My first short test ride had me calling the dealer the next day to buy it. (it was sold a half hour after I left to think it over)

found another once on sale a month later, took a much longer test ride, and decided that the ergonomics would not work for me in the long run. On that first test ride I was just focused on the grin factor of the 1000. The second test ride I rode my 650 45 minutes to the dealer, and paid attention to the ergonomic different.

so I'd say sit on all the ones you are considering and see what works for you. They are great bikes for long, long rides. (did 200 miles between breakfast and lunch yesterday)

TLDR (too long, didn't read)
try them all out and buy the one that 'fits' you best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Want to tell you all thanks for the info and the warm welcome,,, A lot of good information. Good reading.
Thanks...
Q: if I have a question on a bike I looked at, do I post it here or ask a new question?
Thanks again.... Mike

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
You can still post here. since your budget is about $3000 you have not much choice. Either you go for 1000 or 650. personally if you are not planning a lot of 2 up riding I would recommend 650. Even if you buy stock one there is a lot of used stuff (farkles) for sale and you can set it up step by step to your needs. it would also give you a chance to buy newer bike with lower mileage perhaps. ask any question you have and you will find quickly an advice right here.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Mike_ Where abouts do you hail from ? There might be someone from the forum that would meet-up for coffee and bike talk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im from So. Cal. Ventura county area ( and thanks again for the advice). I will update all that stuff as soon as I can figure it all out.....LOL
I"ve been looking at an "08 that has 64K on it. needs 2 tires, tank a little scratched up, dropped at low speeds and bent the cage where the rear pegs attach. The cage( for lack of the correct term ) was replaced. Has a set of 3 alum. cases on the back.New chain ,sprockets, front fork brace. Asking price is 2500. He is the 3rd owner. He bought an electric bike to replace it?
Opinions?
Q: Is it better to by one with less miles and no farkles (that phrase is going to take some getting use to) or buy higher milage with More equipment.
Q: I will ride 2 up occasionally, but not the majority of time. From what I read, I am of the understanding that the 650 is the better way to go. Opinions?

·
aka Rick in Alabama
500 Posts
Im from So. Cal. Ventura county area ( and thanks again for the advice). I will update all that stuff as soon as I can figure it all out.....LOL
I"ve been looking at an "08 that has 64K on it. needs 2 tires, tank a little scratched up, dropped at low speeds and bent the cage where the rear pegs attach. The cage( for lack of the correct term ) was replaced. Has a set of 3 alum. cases on the back.New chain ,sprockets, front fork brace. Asking price is 2500. He is the 3rd owner. He bought an electric bike to replace it?
Opinions?
Q: Is it better to by one with less miles and no farkles (that phrase is going to take some getting use to) or buy higher milage with More equipment.
Q: I will ride 2 up occasionally, but not the majority of time. From what I read, I am of the understanding that the 650 is the better way to go. Opinions?
Several observations -

First, I don't think you can go wrong with a 650. The GVWR of the bike is 926 lbs (assumption is with the tires aired to the specified psi)

From the 926 you subtract the weight of the bike to determine the load capacity, which leaves you with roughly 450 lbs for two riders and their stuff. The thing is a pack mule motorcycle.

In terms of payload the difference between the 650 and the 1000 is not significant. The primary difference would be two up pulling power. Are you going to ride solo, or two up most of the time?

Re, about looking at specific bikes and the less used vs. more farkled angle: my personal preference is always to go for something more "virginal" and with as few miles as possible, and to buy as close to stock as possible and then add what I want to make it mine.

My reasoning is that I don't really know that other guy's degree of mechanical aptitude, so the less he tampered with it, the less likelihood I will have to straighten out things he fouled up. (I adopted this attitude after a few expensive experiences in cleaning up other people’s messes).

Re, dollars in hand and purchasing power: there are some ridiculously good deals to be had on barely used VStroms.

For example, back in the early spring of 2016 when I was shopping I passed over a 2014 DL650 in white that had 2,300 miles on it. No "farkles" or luggage, but basically showroom clean and un-tampered with. The owner’s asking price was $5,000, but he indicated that because I would have to take a day off work and drive 600 miles (round trip) to get it, he would knock $500 off the price.

I passed it over because of the distance and the cam recall issue (which I later learned to be not a problem), and because I knew I wanted hard luggage on the bike. By the time I added the cost of adding hard luggage to the $5,000 asking price, I was in the ball park of a new adventure model. I ended up scoring a dang fine deal on the 2014 Adventure I’m riding. It was zero miles and ready to go sitting on the showroom floor.

Which leads me to ask, have you shopped the deals on new bikes? If you find a dealer with an overstock bike on the floor you might score a sweet deal.

Finally, this is the peak of the summer riding season. If you wait until winter-time when people have cabin fever and the impulse buys are weighing on their minds, the prices will be much better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks you all for the info and support, and thanks Basketcase for your service, and any others that have served.
I will absorb all the info and keep looking. Waiting for winter to buy would be hard. As I am sure most of you are like me, waiting is tuff. It's like waiting to open a gift at CHRISTmas time...;)

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
good deal...

excellent group of farkles - that is a chunk of change right there...I bolded the really essential ones....and the Aux lights are a nice feature too..

fork brace
dash shelf
madstad bracket
Givi windshield

Aux Lights
Center stand
JC Witney top box
Fenda Extenda
Protapper handle bars
Acerbis hand guards
Handle Bar risers(anti-vibe)
Crash bars
New tires

Offroad pegs
SW-Motech quick disconnect racks
you are well protected if you happen to drop it and the Givi/Madstad is the same combo I use and is essential in my view it reduces buffetting and wind noise so well..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mike,
I have a '12 Glee and ride 2 up occasionally, with one day ride a year that's in the 300-mile range. It does fine and my wife and kids much prefer it to the previous VT1100C. I'm very happy with the 650.
Best of luck whatever you buy,
Cheers,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts