StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 DL 1000 and am trying to get some advice on what tires to run? I am mostly on the payment but would like hit some gravel roads too?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm really liking the Battle Wings that I installed about 1K miles ago. They have good feedback and in general feel very sure footed. They work well enough on gravel roads for it not ot be an issue.

I was riding on Tourance EXP's before the Battle Wings. I like the Battle Wings better. That's saying something for me because this is the first time in 15 years that I've liked a tire more so than what Metzeler offers.

·
Administrator
18,458 Posts
Obviously not seen the Sticky tire thread?

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a thread with links to dozens of other tire threads here that has lots of info. Plan on spending some time reading, and remember that opinions are like, well, you know the rest...

Long story short, for on-road mostly (ie road and gravel) people seem to like the stock Trailwings (cheap), Bridgestone Battlewings (also cheap), Metzler Tourances, Michelin Anakee 2, Avon Distanzias, and Continental Trail Attacks(all more expensive but potentially longer lasting/better performing). Cheap tires are $230 a set mail order. Expensive tires are $280+ a set. For offroaders, the Shinko 705s are good, dirt cheap, but wear out quickly. Conti TKC80s are swell but pricey and also wear out fast.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
There is a thread with links to dozens of other tire threads here that has lots of info. Plan on spending some time reading, and remember that opinions are like, well, you know the rest...

Long story short, for on-road mostly (ie road and gravel) people seem to like the stock Trailwings (cheap), Bridgestone Battlewings (also cheap), Metzler Tourances, Avon Distanzias, and Continental Trail Attacks(all more expensive but potentially longer lasting/better performing). Cheap tires are $230 a set mail order. Expensive tires are $280+ a set. For offroaders, the Shinko 705s are good, dirt cheap, but wear out quickly. Conti TKC80s are swell but pricey and also wear out fast.
I'm kinda surprised you left out the Michelin Anakee 2's...

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Randy

Stop with your practical inputs

This is the internet obsolete information overload is paramount

I am keeping an eye out for 19 inch Pilot Road 3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Motorcycle Superstore has a pretty good deal on the Shinko 705 Radials. I just had my local dealer price match them on a set and I'll be getting them in hand tomorow. I don't consider them an off road tire, been running them on the KLR and they are street tires!

·
Administrator
18,458 Posts
its easier to ask again rather than read thru old threads many times about tires that are obsolete
Then I am all for deleting any and all new tire or oil threads..........going forward. Lets delete the worthless stickies too, and the worthless search functions....just sayin.:yesnod:

·
Registered
22,424 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like the Metzler Tourance. On my third set on my K6

·
Registered
121 Posts
Conti Trail Attacks Suck

I'm still upset about my wobbly front Conti TA. The back is working and wearing well, but the front was the pits. Replaced with Tourance EXP after ~1,500 miles. Conti says, "no problem with our front tires on Vstrom." Ya... its my imagination.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
its easier to ask again rather than read thru old threads many times about tires that are obsolete
Yeah, those threads are so old Big B still owned a V-Strom. :green_lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
im very happy with anakee 2s but the price...might give a set of 705 shinko a go next time....anakees are really nice though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I like the Metzler Tourance.
So far I'm quite pleased with the Tourances I mounted up. The only negative I can say is they are a tad noisy/rough when leaned over at slow speeds due to the wider tread spacing towards the edges of the tire. Riding in the center or at higher speeds in corners I never notice it at all.

From all the reports I've read I'd make the Battlewings my second choice, maybe next time.......

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I did a track day yesterday with Tourances. Because of the big gaps and tall blocks on the outer edges I was expecting them to feel quite "squishy" or slippery at high lean angles, but they were impressively good. Also got a chance to do a few laps in the rain and they held in there well -never a slip.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can tell you, go with the Metzler Tourances...........

I'm on my 2nd front one and 3rd rear Tourance, and have found them stable, grippy, good on both tar, and dirt/gravel roads, good in both wet and dry conditions, and lastly good wearing.
On a front I'm averaging 22K, on a rear 15-16K before they need changing, and I'm about to put on my 4th rear one.

My bike is an 09 K9 with 57000k's on it, I average about 600k's on a day ride, with a mix of both tar and gravel.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just ordered a set of Tourance EXPs so we'll see how that goes. Kind of an experiment with those - I finally just got tired (no pun intended) of stressing over all the tire choices out there and just went with one.
I've had Conti Trail Attacks on for a long time now and I really, really liked them until the front developed a nasty headshake that just keeps getting worse. They get great tread life - but that tread life doesn't do me any good if the bike isn't safe to ride. Really liked them up until that point however.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts