StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a ton of opinions on tires and I fear that this will turn into a thread of a thousand opinions. But here it is anyway.

I am looking at a used 650 today (having never had a strom, or owned a motorcycle in quite a while). If as advertised, it is low miles and in great shape with a good selection of farkles. However, the tires are done. Not kind of done, but need to be changed now kind of done.

The owner planned on putting on Michelin Pilot 4s, and based on research, those sound good for me (no plans to go off road). If I end up with the bike (my expectation), would you start with those, or some other tire as my first set? (He recommended we get it to a shop for a tire change before I even bring it home. Bald front and almost bald rear. It's about an hour drive over a not so fun mountain to get it home, so better safe than sorry.)

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
A friend could not find the 3's and ordered the 4's for his Stelvio. Any name brand tire will work fine and last 4-10K miles depending on your road surfaces and riding style.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
For pavement the Michelin Pilot Road 4 are probably the pick of the litter. The Bridgestone Battle Ax BT-023 are less money, very good but not as good in the wet as the PR4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If cost is an issue you might want to look at Shinko 712. Ive used the 705s on my KLR and liked them. There is a thread on here for the 712s, for a street only tire they could be an option..

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Bridgestone Battlewings 501 & 502. Its really a street tire but if you get a wild hair and want to ride a fire service road or that type of road it can handle it. I'm running my second set and very happy with the tire and its price.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Bridgestone Battlewings 501 & 502. Its really a street tire but if you get a wild hair and want to ride a fire service road or that type of road it can handle it. I'm running my second set and very happy with the tire and its price.
^^^^^^^:thumbup:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
...Any name brand tire will work fine...
+1 Perhaps the best tire advice you'll get on an mc forum.

I'm a Michelin guy, myself. Brother-in-law works as a car tire inspector for them. Despite that :mrgreen:, their QC is incredible - 100%, non-statistical x-ray and hand-inspected followed by random statistical tests. Should one tire ever fail the latter (very rare and usually due to human slackness or error) the inspector is in trouble and the whole batch goes back through the process again.

That said, I think there is far more varied opinion than actual variation in name-brand modern tires. Here, folks generally love the Anakee 3s. I loved the A2s, but haven't been that impressed by the 3s - squirrelly front on sand, gravel, and clay, unimpressive wet traction. On the GS section of advrider, many suggest the A3 is the worst abomination ever to be called a tire - not at all consistent with my highly favorable experience. Different bikes, yes, but I suspect mostly different opinions. And we all know about opinions. I had PR2s, and they were good on the street, not so much on unpaved roads.

Within a tire class, probably only you can form a useful opinion for yourself, as I did with the A2s - I thought I would never buy another brand/model. Of course, when it came time for replacement, they weren't making them any more. :(

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Another vote for Battlewings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Totally happy with my Anakee III's. Very little off-pavement riding, but it's nice to know they are built to allow it should it come up.
I've had PR3's on my previous bike (not a strom), and loved them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts