StromTrooper banner

What tires are you currently running on you V-Strom?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, we've been talking about different tires for a while now so I'm curious as to what tires are you currently running on your bike and why. I'm only listing tires that are for 70/30 road/off road use since that’s what most of us are using. If you vote, please leave a comment as to what you like about the tires you chosen.

I'm currently running D607 and very happy with them. Seem to me that they are the best bang for the buck giving good performance with a relatively low price.

Wingman

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
I still have the Trailwings on my 1000. I replaced the rear (damn nail) about 5,000 miles ago. I'm interested in your opinion of the 607's since I have a set coming to me.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
They came with the bike. Seem to ride real nice but I'm a NOOB and haven't ridden anything else

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Actually, all the tires listed above are either 90/10 or 95/5, except for the TKC80s, which may be 70/30.

I have Metzlers front and rear. The front has 3k on it and is barely worn. The rear, on the other hand, with 6k on it, isn't doing so hot. People are claiming to get 15k out of rear Metzlers. I doubt mine will make it to 10k. They are great on road and ok off-road. Good on gravel and packed dirt but worthless on mud or wet grass. They are a little pricey. I often see good deals online for the Dunlops and the Pirellis.

I didn't have a problem with the Trailwings, but everyone seemed to like the Metzlers so I gave them a try. On road I don't notice a difference, but offroad the Metzler is better.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The original Trailwings are just about at the end of their road and a new set of Michelin Pilot Roads arrived on Monday.

No problem with the Bridgestones -- just wanted to try something else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My rear tire(trailwing) has 7000 miles on it and is near the end. About 3 mm left. It now chirps on downshift and fast upshift. Time for a change, I went with a new Anakee rear tire, we'll see how that goes. On a side note I noticed the 07 BMW 650 GS and Dakar now come with Trailwings, but the 1200GS has the Mettzler. Was with a friend today when he bought a new Dakar.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got 5500 km (3500 miles) on my Trailwings, and they are 2/3 worn. I should get enough life out them to complete the 1000 miler next month, then I'll be putting on Battlewings.

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Actually, all the tires listed above are either 90/10 or 95/5, except for the TKC80s, which may be 70/30.

I have Metzlers front and rear. The front has 3k on it and is barely worn. The rear, on the other hand, with 6k on it, isn't doing so hot. People are claiming to get 15k out of rear Metzlers. I doubt mine will make it to 10k. They are great on road and ok off-road. Good on gravel and packed dirt but worthless on mud or wet grass. They are a little pricey. I often see good deals online for the Dunlops and the Pirellis.

I didn't have a problem with the Trailwings, but everyone seemed to like the Metzlers so I gave them a try. On road I don't notice a difference, but offroad the Metzler is better.
I heard that rear Metzelers can be really hard on chains!!!!:mrgreen:

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Ok, we've been talking about different tires for a while now so I'm curious as to what tires are you currently running on your bike and why. I'm only listing tires that are for 70/30 road/off road use since that’s what most of us are using. If you vote, please leave a comment as to what you like about the tires you chosen.

I'm currently running D607 and very happy with them. Seem to me that they are the best bang for the buck giving good performance with a relatively low price.

Wingman
I run a "mix" of tires, you wanna add that to the survey, or have us just select "other"?

BB

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Big B, please explain really hard on chains .

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Big B, please explain really hard on chains .
It is an "inside joke" between me and SpongeBob. His chain had gotten really tight on him, during the Rally at Brendans. Not really sure why it tightend up on him while we were riding? But we make jokes about it.....or at least I do.;) I'm sure that it has NOTHING to do with tires....I was just being a smartass.

BB

·
Registered
852 Posts
My stockers lasted until 8400 miles.

Then I put on a set of Metzeler Tourances and love the bike even more!

I've only gotten about 1700 miles on the Tourances so far, so I can't comment about the longevity of them.

However, there is a bad side effect - my footpegs are wearing out!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm still on the Trailwings with 5100 smiles and I think they should do at least another 5100 miles. I'll be going with either the Metzeler Tourance or ME880 Marathons. When the stockers do finally give up.

Cheers!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've a Metzeler Tourances on the rear (which is I what I voted), but I still have a TW on front. Rear TW was replace at almost 10k mi. The original front TW was bad and replaced at 5k mi. with another TW. I have no complaints with either tires but I probably don't push the limits of tires enough to really notice marginal differences anyway.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Tires

I run the TW. I love them and after ~15K on each set, I have no complaints!

M

·
0 Posts
I will throw in my .02 for the Metzler Lazertechs. I don't do any trail riding here in the concrete jungle (L.A....and that's not Lower Alabama) so I put on a pair of these due to a lack of availability of Metzlers Roadtech z6's. At first I was unsure about using a bias ply tire, but these have performed admirably. I am on my second rear and about half way through the front, so a good 2 to 1 ratio. The trailwings that came on the bike were okay, but the rear tire just consumed itself on a long highway journey. One note, the front tire took a while to break in. I would notice it wanting to push when it was new but shortly after it was broken in it handles great. Price is good at about $115 per wheel. I can't tell you how they handle in the rain, well....cuz we never get any :mrgreen: here in So-Cal.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still have the Trailwings on my 1000. I replaced the rear (damn nail) about 5,000 miles ago. I'm interested in your opinion of the 607's since I have a set coming to me.
I only have about 1000 miles on mine by they seem a lot better then the OEMs. The bike feels more planted on the road and I think its more confidence inspiring in the loose stuff. Not sure yet how they will wear but my Trailwing showed a lot of cupping when I had them replaces at 5000 miles.

Wingman

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I run a "mix" of tires, you wanna add that to the survey, or have us just select "other"?

BB
I would say "other" since the combo of different tires would go beyond the limitation of the POLL.

What combo are you running?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, so if you exclude the OEMs the Metzeler Tourance seem to be the tire of choice. Keep it coming guys. The more info we gather the better our next selection will be.

Also, unless you've already changed at leas 1 set of tires, please don’t vote for the OEMs. I think it skews the results and are not very useful for this purpose.

Thanks,
Wingman

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Whoops. Forgive me for my response. The no new guy clause needs to be posted at the beginning of the thread. You asked which tires and why. I got it right on both.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts