StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't see a discussion about this. I see reference to worms and plugs, but don't know which is better and didn't find any discussion about pump to look for.

I'm planning my first motorcycle road trip. I hadn't considered a tire repair kit or pump until I started looking for a packing list to use as a reference. I don't do any off road riding on my Vee. I'm riding from southern Utah up to SLC area to meet a brother and then we are riding across I-80 to meet with dad in the Bay Area (about 1000 miles for me just to get to our "starting point"). We plan to spend a couple days going down the coast of California.

All in all....for me it will be about 3000 miles in 5 or 6 days. I know for some that is nothing. For me...and on my first trip...that is a lot! I mainly ride around town to work and back. Most years I don't put 3000 miles in the whole year, so this is big.

Any direction on the pump/repair kit and anything else would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep searching the forum for ideas.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I have the Stop N Go w/ mini compressor that uses mushroom plugs and a Slime worm kit depending on the nature of the hole. I used the stop and go twice now and it works well but the plug is only temporary.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Stop N Go w/ mini compressor that uses mushroom plugs and a Slime worm kit depending on the nature of the hole. I used the stop and go twice now and it works well but the plug is only temporary.
What would dictate when you use which kind? Any recommendation for compressor/pump?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
All I've ever used are the rope/worm type plugs. I've plugged some pretty bad holes with those sometimes using two or three to repair a sidewall puncture on a Jeep tire. I've used them countless times on motorcycles for nail and screw punctures and continued to ride that tire until the end of it's life.

Use what you like but the rope/worm solution is the cheapest and used by many and seems to work the best short of pulling the tire and having a patch placed inside the tire.

I've had countless miles on plugged tires and never had one leak on me.

As for the compressor to use just go to Wal-Mart and grab the cheapy off the shelf. I use a high volume harbor freight compressor which takes up a bit more space than the typical SLIME pump but since I air down for dirt and air back up afterwards I wanted something that was a little faster. No sense in spending big money on this item.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
A for a small round hole like nail the mushroom works pretty well. For a cut like a knife I would use one or more worms (and have in car tires). The Stop N Go mini-compressor works pretty well. The whole Stop N Go kit w/ compressor was $54 on Amazon. The Slime worm kit is about $10.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I use the smallest Slime pump fits under the seat.

I also use the Slime repair kit with the black strings but I've found that the Slime red strings work better. They are a bit larger diameter but better quality, that's probably why they don't come in the kit!

Connected a waterproof 12v cig receptacle and have it stuck in front of the battery/electrical stuff.

Bought everything at WalMart.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Registered
155 Posts
Does anybody bother with both the mushroom plugs and worms?

·
Registered
122 Posts
CyclePump

Checkout the "CyclePump" at this linky.

BestRest Products, LLC

I have one, used other brands and they always broke within a short time. It is a bit pricer than other brands but it appears well built and comes with a multi-year warranty. I not only use it on my motorcycle tires but also my car tires.

Highly recommended. :thumbup:

Reactions: Skew

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Does anybody bother with both the mushroom plugs and worms?
Never bothered to carry anything but the "ropes". Time tested tire repair method. No sense in carrying multiple ways to plug a tubeless tire. :thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I use Nealey ropes, and the motopumps compressor. It costs a little more but I think the quality of the hose, connector, and pump is worth it. Fits nicely under the seat, and will inflate from totally flat in 3 to 4 mins without overheating. I carry a 3/4 inch pvc T to put over the handle of the insert tool, giving a good surface to push on to get it through the tire.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just bought one of the Nealey kits. Haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I carry it and the standard ropes.
I tried the Dynaplugs and had no success with them at all, albeit on a car tire but same principal.

I carry a bicycle tire inflator with number of CO2 cylinders.
I am in the process of reworking a small Slime compressor- if you take it out of the housing it is amazingly small. Only thing is it has a gauge attached which is rather bulky so I'm contemplating a way to plug the gauge port and do away with it since I carry a tire gauge.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Have you tried airing a flat tire up from 0 using the CO2 cartridges. In my experience it takes far too many of them and you still wind up with an underinflated tire.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have you tried airing a flat tire up from 0 using the CO2 cartridges. In my experience it takes far too many of them and you still wind up with an underinflated tire.
This is my experience, too. I'm carrying the slime pump. But I'd rather find a nice mechanical (bicycle) pump as I view it more reliable.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Done it many times on dirt bike tires- and yes it takes quite a few. IIRC about 2-3 for a front tire and 5 or so for the rear, figure add 2 or 3 to each of those numbers for VStrom sized tires.
That's one of the reasons I'm modifying the air compresser, plus I carry the large size Fix-A-Flat can.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I use Nealey ropes, and the motopumps compressor. It costs a little more but I think the quality of the hose, connector, and pump is worth it. Fits nicely under the seat, and will inflate from totally flat in 3 to 4 mins without overheating. I carry a 3/4 inch pvc T to put over the handle of the insert tool, giving a good surface to push on to get it through the tire.
+1 and +1 ... been carrying both for years... (the mini Nealey fits perfectly under a Sargent seat, strapped in along with the included cylinder). My other under-seat real estate was taken up with a PC8 fuse box and relays, so the pump went into a tank bag or topcase...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
CAA card and a cell phone is what I carry haha never had to call though :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah hahah- I've been places where it is a 20 minute drive to GET to cell phone coverage....how long would that walk be? 5 hours or so? No thanks!:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't laugh because I'm old school but the attached hand pump I bought from a bicycle shop works very effectively with the twin piston design.

It pumps the rear tyre up to 36psi in a couple of minutes, it's light, takes up little space, has few moving parts and is reliable.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
My experience with the mushroom plug & CO2 cartridges was excellent, no leaks from nearly new to bald in the middle of the rear tire & the whole kit is small & fits easily under the seat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts