StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something about riding through weather? I mean I've been driving all winter and its kinda cool to ride with the snow and the cold because no one expects it. But really, today it was thunderstorming on my ride home and DAMN if I didn't get home with a HUGE smile on my face. I was cold, my damn firstgear suit leaked (I need to nic wax it), my gloves got saturated, I could not see from the glare of oncoming headlights. GOD IT WAS GREAT!

What the hell is wrong with me?

-GW

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
There is something about riding through weather? I mean I've been driving all winter and its kinda cool to ride with the snow and the cold because no one expects it. But really, today it was thunderstorming on my ride home and DAMN if I didn't get home with a HUGE smile on my face. I was cold, my damn firstgear suit leaked (I need to nic wax it), my gloves got saturated, I could not see from the glare of oncoming headlights. GOD IT WAS GREAT!

-GW
You're not alone. I've done exactly the same thing myself.

Think of it as the adult version of spashing in puddles.

:mrgreen:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Fools in the Rain

Got caught out in the rain sunday, 125 miles from home, 45 degrees wih the Missus on the back.

It wasn't bad until it got dark and the headlight glare off the wet visor and windsheild blinded me.

I managed to pull the visor up a little and peek under when cars approached. She thought I was passing out.
Jeannie was counting the miles home and I was counting the ways to die. The rain gear worked, the boots and gloves failed. We thawed out with some Irish Whiskey and a couple of Double IPA's. Watched the only 10 minutes of the Super Bowl that counted and slept like babies.

Can't wait to do it again.

Does Rain-X work on plexiglas?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Cold will never make me smile but a ride through a minor hurricane did. 60 mph gusts and buckets of rain and its still one of the most memorable rides i've done. I puckered, laughed and screamed my way through it. Insane yet invigorating. Wouldn't have done it, if i didn't have to but now i'm glad i did. Same thing less insulation...J.R.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its supposed to be 35 and clear skies Thursday. The rain today has cleared all the snow and ice off the roads...I am sooo tempted to ride to work. If for nothing else than to see the looks on the cagers when they see a biker go past them in Febuary in Michigan when all the ground except the roads are covered in snow....

Yep...we aint right are we.

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts

-GW
There is nothing wrong with you. There is something wrong with everybody else.

That Nikwax if fantastic stuff. But the f-ing snow collecting on the visor is a PITA. I have discovered that 35 kmh is about the max speed I can do and still tolerate the impact of snowflakes on my eyeballs.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
All of you have no idea about Graywolf. There IS something wrong with him.

Trust me on this.

Tige

·
Registered
478 Posts
adversity good!

-GW
I too love adversity,it really does make you stronger. Easy rides are great for two up. But if I'm solo give me a challange. It's the competitive spirit in me and you as well.
Some folks play computer games after first looking for cheat codes. That is not competitive spirit.
I competed in the highland games for 10 years because it was difficult. At the end of the day win or loose there was a great feeling of accomplishment.
So to you my friend I raise my glass,welcome to the fold.
Be safe Mike D.

·
Registered
704 Posts
You're not alone. I've done exactly the same thing myself.

Think of it as the adult version of spashing in puddles.

:mrgreen:
Great analogy. Add me to the list. Blinding rain and lightening only make it more fun. I've had to lean completely off the side to keep it upright in the wind. You really feel alive when you're closer to death, for some strange reason. :mrgreen:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There is something heady about overcoming adversity. I remember riding in a rain storm so heavy that cars were pulling over onto the shoulder. Having the helmet shield so close to my eyes and looking just over the top of the bike's windshield gave me better visibility that being in a car.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I can't see a doggone thing at night.

On the two occasions I got caught out at night in the rain, visibility was the only real issue for me.

Does Rain-X work, or something else, or are you just gong to deal with rain-drop refracted headlight glare on your facesheild and windscreen?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly the best thing for rain on the visor is speed. Some of the waterproof gloves have little "wipers" on the thumbs which work very well but I've always found that finding the right speed to wick the water away is the best method.

-GW

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
This damn rain, We need it.

Honestly the best thing for rain on the visor is speed. Some of the waterproof gloves have little "wipers" on the thumbs which work very well but I've always found that finding the right speed to wick the water away is the best method.

-GW
Thanks, maybe next time I'll drop my GIVI/MadStad to the lowest, flattest setting. Usually there's not much air moving across my visor. As far as speed, I was doing a steady 60 (actual) on the four lane, until the fog set in and I hit the side roads.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its supposed to be 35 and clear skies Thursday. The rain today has cleared all the snow and ice off the roads...I am sooo tempted to ride to work. If for nothing else than to see the looks on the cagers when they see a biker go past them in Febuary in Michigan when all the ground except the roads are covered in snow....

Yep...we aint right are we.

yea...well scratch what I just said...Its snowin like a bitch outside. Bike wont be coming out of the shed this week!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Longest hundred miles

I recall one ride in 1964. I was on a CB77, much like the one in my garage now, over 100 miles north of my home in Toronto. Rain was not expected, but it sure happened. In bucketfulls, it happened!

The bike, for those who are not Super Hawk aficionados, is a 305cc twin-cylinder sporty runabout, ideal for secondary highways and road-racing if you don't mind coming in sixth. It has four gears.

I was heading south, and above the neck, I had nothing to wear. Sunglasses would have been nice, but I had misplaced them. Helmets were optional, even in Ontario, in those days, and mine got used in the winter only. To complete the demonstration of brain power, I had left my return trip until after dark.

There was a strong crosswind, lots of rain, and plenty of 65-MPH traffic on Highway 11 and then even more of all of them on Highway 400. The only good thing about the weather was that the wind was from my left.

I cupped my left hand over my left eye, steered with my right hand, and let my right eye close. When my left eye rebelled against the constant onslaught of raindrops, I opened my right eye, shifted my left hand to partially shield that eye, then let my battered left eye close. I alternated eyes and thought up new cusswords, and I am sure I invented lots of them, but I was so busy staying alive that I forgot them all. The crosswind was so severe that the bike's top speed in third gear was 65. It would not hold speed in fourth gear at all! I was sure I would run into something, fall off into the ditch, or skid down the road in a shower of sparks, but somehow I hung on. Eventually Toronto's north edge loomed over the horizon, prettier than the ass of a baboon. Well, nearly. Anyway, I was glad to see it.

I couldn't turn east into the wind at Highway 401, so I went west, then south into the city, then rode east, very slowly, on side streets. I do not think the bike or I had even been so thoroughly washed. I have taken that motorcycle through a carwash, yes I have, and I promise you that was a sunny day compared to my ride from Bala.

A couple of years ago, I saw Ontario license plate BALA here in Sarasota Florida. The details of that ride came thundering back, and I shuddered. I was pleased that I was able to greet the driver of BALA, and give him a cassette of Stan Rogers' songs, From Fresh Water appropriately enough.

Why? Don't ask why. You already know.
Keith

·
Registered
483 Posts
I pick my up my Wee from the dealer today, in for some warranty repair work (slight coolant leak). Snow flurries and light sleet. I can't wait!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I just got back from a weekly gig with a bunch of frustrated middle-aged (and older) musicians.

There's two guys that love Stan Rogers and play many of his songs. I've played bass along many times, but have never heard one of these tunes perfomed by Mr. Rogers himself.

I have never heard mention of Stan Rogers by any, except by these two musicians and now two members of this forum. i guess I'll have to dig deeper.

..................It stopped raining, can I still ride?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
..................It stopped raining, can I still ride?
You have my permission as long as you expect to encounter weather at some future date. We also require a big smile to be plastered on your face. I'm sure other conditions will be added so stay tuned.

-GW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts