StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have used the Eastern Beaver ABS-defeat wiring harness (or made your own), what switch did you use and where did you mount it?

A few bikes ago I had an F650 Dakar with ABS & it was great to be able to turn it off in the dirt. I remember my first steep descent on a dirt road after getting the bike - the ABS kicked in on both wheels & I just rolled faster & faster. GOT to be able to turn off that ABS!

·
Registered
273 Posts
For those who have used the Eastern Beaver ABS-defeat wiring harness (or made your own), what switch did you use and where did you mount it?

A few bikes ago I had an F650 Dakar with ABS & it was great to be able to turn it off in the dirt. I remember my first steep descent on a dirt road after getting the bike - the ABS kicked in on both wheels & I just rolled faster & faster. GOT to be able to turn off that ABS!
I am also interested in installing an ABS on-off switch, preferably on the handlebars. The ABS circuit has a big power draw, so I can't imagine finding a handlebar mounted switch that would be able to take that kind of draw if mounted directly in the ABS circuit. However, is there any reason that the ABS circuit could not be controlled with a relay switched by say a Eastern Beaver 5A switch (which I have lying around on my workbench)? And with the relay powered by my switched fuse box?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I am also interested in installing an ABS on-off switch, preferably on the handlebars. The ABS circuit has a big power draw, so I can't imagine finding a handlebar mounted switch that would be able to take that kind of draw if mounted directly in the ABS circuit. However, is there any reason that the ABS circuit could not be controlled with a relay switched by say a Eastern Beaver 5A switch (which I have lying around on my workbench)? And with the relay powered by my switched fuse box?
The relay should work, Eastern Beaver says a direct switch needs to carry 15A.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hit the kill switch...presto instant Jake Brake!
I tried this as a test last weekend in some sand. Yes, it kills the engine allowing me to use it as an engine brake. But it does not disable the ABS.

What does everyone think about using the kill switch to deactivate the ABS? Don't argue with me about whether it can or cannot be done, I can always make it work. I was just interested in what people thought of the idea.

·
Registered
23 Posts
EB Solution

I just installed the EB ABS defeat harness. I used the toggle switch that EB sells - 20A SPST with rubber cover. Simple. I mounted it in a 7/16" hole I drilled in the plastic trim left of the triple tree.

Reactions: Birchgroover

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the same system as late rider. I mounted my switch onto my RichlandRich switch plate, works great. You do have to turn your ignition off and on to reset the the ABS. I have done this on the fly a couple times.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I put a 30amp rocker switch in the rh fascia. A 30amp momentary would do as well. Once the ABS light is on you can throw the switch back on ready for when you want ABS: simply turn the ignition key off, back on and hit the starter to re-enable the ABS.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which Switch?

How about this switch...? Having trouble linking it...

www(dot)wiringproducts.com \ Marine switches \ Surf N Turf Rocker Switch

Can anyone decypher which option would work best?

How I'd like this to work with an Eastern Beaver kit is...
Going along with ABS working (No ABS light).
I approach a situation where I do not want ABS.
I tap the button, the ABS is disabled/the ABS light comes on.
ABS will remain off until the bike is restarted.
When I want ABS, I turn the bike off & on again.

With the switch being momentary -I am hoping to not have to remember to turn the switch off again to have ABS.

Thanks in advance!

Redne

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you want to turn the ABS on and off without cycling the computer (turning the power off then on) you need to wire the switch differently. It doesn't matter whether it is a momentary contact or whatever. See Proper ABS on/off switch .

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you want to turn the ABS on and off without cycling the computer (turning the power off then on) you need to wire the switch differently. It doesn't matter whether it is a momentary contact or whatever. See Proper ABS on/off switch .
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I will study that article and see if I can suss what I need.

A point of clarification: I fully understand that I will have to turn the bike off & on again to re-activate ABS. I just don't want to have to remember to turn the ABS switch back on, in order for ABS to be on after power is cycled.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did this mod and it works as advertised.I used an inexpensive rocker switch that fits perfectly in the "Wire guide" on the left of the triple tree that holds the clutch cable in place.
I can post pictures if required.
As far as remembering to switch the abs back on the abs light remains on if if the switch is in the off position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts