StromTrooper banner

What spare parts would you take on a 1 year moto trip to S. America (for '05 DL650)

5K views 39 replies 26 participants last post by  cbrxxcess 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks:

So much to do for a one year motorcycle trip it's frankly ridiculous. Leaving next month! I'm trying to close on everything I want to buy this week and now that I have the final bike accessories ordered; I'm curious about what you folks think I should take in terms of spare parts. Here's what I was planning on taking below:

• Spark Plugs (2)
  • Oil Filter (2)
  • Spare Headlight Bulbs (2)
  • Spare Breaklight Bulbs (2)
  • Spare shift & clutch lever
  • Spare Turn Signal Bulbs (2 becaues my front turn signals are LED now)

When I get to San Diego I will be replacing chain/sprocket/tires (slightly off topic but would also love your thoughts on which chain/sprocket setup I want and if I need any of these master links.

My bike has 30K miles on it.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
year long? Probably a spare air filter, chain and sprockets. Maybe spare lever(s) for when you drop it in the sand.
also, I'd carry a 19" tire tube. You can use it in the event you cut a tire too badly to plug. Depending of course, upon how wild the ride is going to be.

#4 · (Edited)
If the bike has under 15000 pretty much nothing otherwise

Tune up / valves sync what ever

Reading the history around here I would put the spares ON the bike before you ever leave

Exterior fuel filter mod
After market rectifier/regulator and stator shindegen
Chain and sprockets
Brake service

Then bulbs, tube etc.

For you a good quality water/filter pump purifier

5 gold Soveriegns
1 doz industrial strength condoms
1 cyanide suicide pill

Seriously a few silver dollars might get help
and there worth like $30 each

#6 ·
If the bike has under 15000 pretty much nothing otherwise

Tune up / valves sync what ever

Reading the history around here I would put the spares ON the bike before you ever leave

Exterior fuel filter mod
After market rectifier/regulator and stator shindegen
Chain and sprockets
Brake service

Then bulbs, tube etc.

For you a good quality water/filter pump purifier

5 gold Soveriegns
1 doz industrial strength condoms
1 cyanide suicide pill

Seriously a few silver dollars might get help
and there worth like $30 each
Few questions about what you wrote.
1) RE: the fuel filter. I have been reading a book called about the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook - Chris Scott which states that for fuel injection engines a fuel filter isn't necessary and can actually create conditions of starvation especially ascending steep terrain. What are your thoughts on this?
2) You and several other people mention bringing a spare sprocket and chain... but assuming I slap a new chain/sprocket in San Diego; would you still bring a spare set anyway? It's about 15K miles from San Diego => TDF (or so).
3) Water pump/filter. So this would filter my coolant fluid before it gets recirculated in the bike? What would the advantage be here ( I thought it was mostly a closed system).
4) Interesting thought on gold/silver coins. I wonder how they are at getting help compared to dollars.
5) Suicide pill. Geez I hope it doesn't get too bad. I'm going to skip that one :p.

#7 ·
1) So you'd bring an extra set of chain + sprockets with you even though I'm swapping out in San Diego?
2) What chain/sprocket setup would you recommend?
3) The point of having a master link is to be able to swap out a broken link?
4) Already have spare fuses... that's a good call.
5) Hadn't thought bout break pads I think they are quite cheap.

#16 · (Edited)
Old fashioned dirt bike thinking was a spare throttle cable

You can "get out" without a clutch but NOT without a throttle

I would also make sure you were in contact with a southern Suzuki shop
For mandatory tires and maybe a new chain again.

I would worry about the cleanliness of the SA fuel hence the exterior fuel filter mod
Even if you could carry a spare filter element or use the cleanable fine mesh ones.
perhaps using a NEW HP fuel hose

#17 ·
"2) You and several other people mention bringing a spare sprocket and chain... but assuming I slap a new chain/sprocket in San Diego; would you still bring a spare set anyway? It's about 15K miles from San Diego => TDF (or so)."

Again, it depends upon how much gravel/sand/dirt you ride. 15K miles is OK on the pavement. Off road, not so much. you will probably need at least one tire in that distance.

#19 ·
Bearings

I think I'd consider taking along a set of spare wheel bearings. Depending on where you buy them, a full set of good quality bearings, including the seals, can be had for under $100. They wouldn't take up much room.

I'm assuming that if you were to have a bearing go out, it wouldn't be too hard to find someone with the skills and tools needed to replace them, but it might not be as easy to acquire the parts.

I'd also want to be pretty confident that my steering stem bearings are in good shape before setting off on the kind of trip you're planning. The service manual describes a couple checks you can do yourself. Replacing steering stem bearings is more complicated than replacing wheel bearings, and the bearings are more expensive, so it's smart to be as sure as you can be that they're in good shape and properly adjusted before you begin the trip.

Here's a comprehensive list of the bearing sizes.
What are the sizes & numbers of the important bearings?

If you decide to buy spares (or replace your bearings before you begin the trip), do some research into bearing quality and buy them from a source you trust. It's common to see reports of inferior quality (usually Chinese) bearings that don't last very long.

#20 · (Edited)
I think I'd consider taking along a set of spare wheel bearings. Depending on where you buy them, a full set of good quality bearings, including the seals, can be had for under $100. They wouldn't take up much room.
I wouldn't bother with bearings for two reasons:
a) bearing are bearings and can be sourced the world over...bring the specs and you'll be able to find them in any city and most large towns.

b) I've never had a bearing fail suddenly or catastrophically. They always start making noise before they go south and give enough warning to preclude being stranded.

Just make sure your bearings are good (maybe repack w/waterproof grease) before you leave.

As for cables...maybe a clutch cable routed next to the current one. Remember that the third world is full of motorcycles and mechanics that will be able to fix any mechanical failure enough to get you on the road. They often remake cables in place by just replacing the inner cable and installing screw type cable ends. They don't even have to re-route because the outer cable is never removed. it easy and cheap enough to buy/install a spare cable but I wouldn't bother unless I was going WAY out of the way. I do carry spare inner cable and cable ends so I can bodge a cable (any cable) together in the field.

BTW, I grew up in SA riding my 87 XL-125 all over Colombia. Mostly in remote areas, occasionally in a city. It may not be pretty, but those village mechanics are very resourceful at keeping mechanical stuff running. Electrical stuff...you're on your own. ECM, Voltage rect/reg, relays, etc. would make more sense to carry as they cant be bodged together when they go bad.

#26 ·
A large truck to carry all these spares.

#27 ·
Tires, chains, sprockets, bearings, filters, electrical components....etc, etc. Why not just preposition spare bikes at various locations along the route?:mrgreen:

#32 ·
Dont forget you Ak 47 and plenty of ammo....oh yes and plenty of condoms and jelly for the federales...when there rapeing you.
Just in case a poster boy is needed to illustrate the failure of the American educational system....

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the tips guys! I have the following spare parts on my final pack list.

Brake Lever
Shift Lever
Spare brake pedal
Spare clutch pedal
Oil Filter x1
Crush Washer for oil
Metric Bolts/Nuts
Spare Keys (2)
Rear Wheel Bearings
Clutch Cable
Clutch Actuator Rod
NKG Iridium Spark Plugs x2
Spare Bulbs
Spare Fuses
Spare Brake Pads

Probably will also keep the rear/front sprocket I'll be swapping out in San Diego. I've got so much space on the underside of my Narcosis Junkey Skid plate :).

Still unconvinced on throttle cable as from what I've read this is known to go the life of the bike and mine feels fine. Guess I'll probably ask one of you fine people to ship me one and send you the $$$ via PayPal if I can't go any more. In any case, i can't bring *everything* but I feel this is a good list.

Leaving in 2.5 weeks!

Thanks for all your help on this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.