StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to ask an electrical question which for me is akin to being grossly overweight, old, bald and naked in public (sounds a bit like me actually, sans the "in public"). I was most impressed and convinced when I heard the "little gremlins" explanation to all things electrical. Heard it, believed it, and moved on.

I'm about to install a 12v cig lighter and dual USB 5v (2.1 amp for the USB) power port. I will be charging my phone on one of the USB's. I will likely use the 12v cig lighter for powering my emergency mini air compressor. Who knows what else. I can look up the specs for the compressor, but given the disparity of types of devices I might use, maybe multiple at once, I don't know what size circuit breaker to use. I don't know how bad/dangerous it is to have an oversized breaker. I think I can get my mind around the wrongness of too small of a breaker, but then again...those damn gremlins!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
If using a compressor, you're best bet is to connect to the battery using 14ga wire though 16 will probably do the job fine. I like overkill. Use a fuse of a size such that the compressor's rating will be no more than 80% of the fuse's rating. The fuse protects the wiring from overheating, not the device. Handling a lighter draw device on the same wiring is not a problem. Just wire and fuse for the higher draw device.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greywolf,

Your response gave me a quantum leap in understanding. Such a simple thing, but I now understand the "gremlins" a bit better (better stop pretending I understand). When I can use heavier gage wire, I will. The compressor doesn't spec out the amperage (is that the word or a word?), but it did say use a 15 amp breaker. I don't know the size of the products attached wire. It looks in the 16 to 20 range. Given the advice for a 15 amp breaker, I'd say a bit undersized; however, it's what they sent. I'll attach it and use the 15 amp breaker. I'm sure the USB stuff will be no problem at all on this configuration.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I cut the plug off my compressor and put alligator clamps on.

That way it can be used in more situations like when a mate gets a flat and he has no plug on his bike. :furious:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using the Slime mini-compressor. It has plug in attachments for a 12v outlet (lighter adapter), battery cables (alligator clips) and straight to the battery connectors (direct pre-wire). I just want to be able to use the device without taking off the seat. The kit fits comfortably into my hand and includes the compressor and a small bottle of slime for $35. I'm considering it a must have "go with me" accessory given I have no plans on removing tires on the road. I don't do tons of off-road (yet), and paid the extra bucks to get AAA towing service for 100 miles at no extra charge beyond the annual fee ($100 bucks or so, annual).

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I just want to be able to use the device without taking off the seat.
I keep my slime pump under the seat so mine is coming off anyway.

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
I have the slime pump under the seat and I ran 12 gauge wire to supply the ciggy outlet. 10 amp fuse I think.
I use a 2 headed adapter for the GPS and the phone charger when I need it.
The pump works fine to fill a tire without draining the battery with the motor off.
Most electronics use very little power to operate, the phone recharges fine. Compare the size of your phone to the battery on the bike. There is plenty of spare electricity, or magic smoke, in it.
Things like running lights and winches use a lot of power. Newer LED lights are nice since the power draw is so little.
The slime pump I took out of its' plastic box and it fits in a small bag wrapped in a shop towel to protect it from vibrations. It gets shoved in the back by the tail light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts