StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I bought BelRay high end chain lube I am still getting a fair amount of spin off on my rear wheel.

Just wondered what the best product would be to "safely" remove greasey chain lube from rear wheel without damaging the paint on the wheel.

Since it is suggested to clean the chain with kerosene I was thinking this would be good for the wheel? Will kerosene damage the paint?

What about the BBQ grill degreasing products? Would they be too harsh?

Cheers

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've sprayed wd-40 on a paper towel and wiped it off for years, also makes the next clean job a little easier.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Mr. Clean magic eraser. It's pretty amazing and works with water, no suds, rinsing or solvents.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The car wash soap I use on the rest of the bike. But I like the Mr. Clean eraser idea.

·
Administrator
13,373 Posts
I don't do it that often, but when I do I've found that the waterless hand cleaner I use does a great job and doesn't need to be rinsed off. You can even put it on with your hands and that has the benefit of cleaning hands and the wheel and leaves them both clean and satiny smooth!

I tried kerosense and it works well, but the Kerosene leaves a bit of an oily film so you have to get that off afterwards.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Believe it or not I use used dryer sheets. I save them so when I need to clean the wheel I have some on hand. They work great.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Since it is suggested to clean the chain with kerosene I was thinking this would be good for the wheel? Will kerosene damage the paint?
Cheers
It is quick, clean and easy to use and NO it will not hurt the wheel.:confused: Why do you ask:new_confused2::new_confused2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use silicone spray on a paper towel to clean off chain wax from the rear wheel.

It lasts a long time and helps keep the rear wheel clean longer.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just did all this on Sunday. Kerosene on the chain with a toothbrush and rags and kerosene rags on the wheel...no problem. It's also great for cleaning out the front sprocket area. One product for the entire job is easy.

Interestingly, afer I cleaned everything up, I adjusted the clutch as per the manual and then adjusted the chain and lubed it with Dupont Teflon Lube. The bike is now smoother and quieter but I'm not sure whether I can attribute this to the clutch adjustment or the clean chain or both. Most of my idle rattle is gone and the 5K vibes are almost non existent now. Well worth the couple of hours I put into it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts