StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed out next weekend for atrip from PA to ME and perhaps canada. Besides the ussual stuff, anything else ya'll can think of.
It will be a credit card camp out, meaning Hotel and motel. All back roads with little if any interstate travel. I have my tool kit, camera, cell, rain wear, lense cleaning kit, sun glasses, personal toiletries. But what else, there has to be something that I am forgetting. I went over the wee real good. We are going to do Mt Washington, the Adirondacs, and Arcadia. I mapped in m route into the Zumo and did the Google flyby ensuring no dirt roads (Dad has a road King, he's 72).
Come on guys, help me think! The time is drawing near.
Thanks, Toll

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Thanks, Toll
It takes a long time to assemble all those little items that make life easer, and the list is not the same for everyone.

Bring your bug juice and just go for it. You can pick up anything you forgot en route. I always carry an extra bungie net in case I want to bring anything along for the return trip.

To get the most enjoyment from Acadia, spend time there after sun-up. It gets crazy-crowded later in the day.

·
Registered
22,233 Posts

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I just returned from a trip where I needed duct tape. Dropped the bike and broke the signal light housing. The light still works but I needed the duct tape to hold the housing together.

I also took bailing wire, JB Weld, tire repair kit, small air compressor, zip ties and latex gloves (so my hands wouldn't get dirty). All this fit in that small compartment under the seat.

Have fun on your trip!!
Sharon

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I got the bungees taken care of. Seems as if every time I ordered one of those expensive ones from aerostitch, it was always toooo long, now I have many. I also got a couple of moto fizz cargo nets, again the medium seems bigggg. Got the tire plug kit and CO2 cartrages nder the seat.
Good tip on the tape, never really thought about bringing it, and JB in a pinch. Zip ties and SS wire are covered.
I also am gonna try my new Moto Fizz campseat out, seems to fit well on the strom, i got the medium. I have 2 medium otliebs to go on top of my HT targhees, I wanted to use the net for securing them there. I also thought I would pack my overnight gear in the fizz campseat, its not waterproof and I thought carring it into the motel would make things easier. Heres what storage I have on my wee, any tips for packing would be great.

Wolfman Denali Tank bag
Targhee panniers
2 medium Ortliebs
1 Medium Motofizz tail bag.
Toll

·
Registered
195 Posts
maybe canada

do you have your passport ??

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
one things that always works with souvineers you may buy along the trip. put them in a package and mail/ups them back home
Yeah, I've been mailing dirty laundry home since I was 18. In those days, you could ship a sea bag from Chicago to Boston via bus for about $4. My dad would pick it up in Park Square.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pack your most worn out underwear (ready to be tossed). Wear it and then toss it. :D

Duct tape is great but strapping tape is better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sunscreen; I didn't think about it the other day and now I have this nice thin red line across my neck :rolleyes:

Gold Bond or whatever powder you prefer; some people are allergic to the talc and find corn starch works better. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste at night before bed.

Extra keys and paperwork.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I always carry a 30 liter kayak bag to keep my clothing dry. If my clothes are in my saddle bags, the kayak bag is great for dirty laundry or crap you buy along the way.

Another thing I like to do is mail my dirty stuff home.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great ideas, I am going to get the gold bond today. Kind of a bummer on the old undies as I just tossed them this week. I hate to dig through the trash, particularly for old underware, what if someone sees me :).
I went through my tool roll last night and covered some not so popular items but others have mentioned, Duct Tape, case repair epoxy (2 part you need together). Checked over my allens, fuses, electrical tape. I made a false exhaust so I have some room to spare.
My friend here at work said to take some Alum stones with me, he said it soaks up moisture like those bags do. He said to put one in my pocket. Anyone ever hear of this and where you would get such a thing?
One thing I am concered about is I plan on taking my digital for candid shots, but I am also taking my nikon, which used film. I shoot low speed velvia and do not have anywhere cool to store it. The panniers are like ovens, the tank bag is black and also an oven. I want to keep it cool as extreme heat will effect the color tone after processing the roll. Any ideas? I want to take 6 rolls of 36 exposure.
Not really sure which lenses I will take. I wanted to grab a wide angle for sure, and a long lense for the seals would be nice, but its heavy and I am not sure about the bike vibrations. Anyone have any ideas on packing camera gear? 35mm type gear. I may have room for my tripod, but it wil be as a last resort.
Thanks for all the replies, ya'll have been very helpful. Hope this heat breaks before we head out on sunday.
Tollie

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I shoot low speed velvia and do not have anywhere cool to store it. The panniers are like ovens, the tank bag is black and also an oven. I want to keep it cool as extreme heat will effect the color tone after processing the roll. Any ideas? I want to take 6 rolls of 36 exposure.

Tollie
If you can spare the space or have an extra place to strap something, go with a small insulated lunch bag and a small blue ice. You could even keep a couple of cold drinks in there to help the cooling of the film and you during the day.

Or improvise with small bubble wrap, blue ice and mylar (like a space blanket, or an old silver mylar balloon). I use one of those silver plastic bubble-wrap insulated bags you can get at the grocery stores for bringing groceries back in my black GIVI top case, and it does an amazingly good job at keeping the ice cream cold. But those bags are a little big for your purpose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am headed out next weekend for atrip..............
Thanks, Toll
In your cell phone, make an entry named "ICE". Make that be the phone number you'd want emergency staff to call should you be hurt.

Make a typed document that has your name, address, phone numbers, medications you might be taking, etc, etc.

Attach to the document above a copy of your motorcycle insurance card, DL with motorcycle endorsement, and the motorcycle registration.

I also make a copy of every key I need, like your bike's ignition key, key for its lock, and a house key. I wear that around my neck with my service dog tags, even though I'm retired.

Looks like you're getting many other good suggestions!

·
Registered
597 Posts
In your cell phone, make an entry named "ICE". Make that be the phone number you'd want emergency staff to call should you be hurt.

Make a typed document that has your name, address, phone numbers, medications you might be taking, etc, etc.

Attach to the document above a copy of your motorcycle insurance card, DL with motorcycle endorsement, and the motorcycle registration.

I also make a copy of every key I need, like your bike's ignition key, key for its lock, and a house key. I wear that around my neck with my service dog tags, even though I'm retired.

Looks like you're getting many other good suggestions!
I agree, these are all very good ideas.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent, ideas. I remember someone sent me an email referring to ICE a while back. " In Case of Emergency" I belive it meant. Many first responders are trying to get this through to the public as a means of communication in the event your unable to communicate. Not sure if all EMT's are up on it yet, but surly a very good idea that could save a life.
I still have not made a First aid kit for my bike, strange because I have one in every vehicle except the bike. Maybe I will do that tonight.
I also want to share this web site with ya'll, it has allot of info and editable "Credit Card Camping" and "Camping Checklist". With check boxes and additional add on items to customize it for you. Many items are already listed, but you can add and remove items as well. Be sure to look at the largets list, its a good laugh.
Anyway Thanks for all the great ideas. I did get a small dry ice yesterday for my film, I think I have a colaspable cooler at the house, not sure how I am going to refreeze it, perhaps hide it in the ice maker the night before.
Anyway heres that web site, Thanks ya''ll should be a memorable trip

http://www.micapeak.com/info/

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I did get a small dry ice yesterday for my film, I think I have a colaspable cooler at the house, not sure how I am going to refreeze it, perhaps hide it in the ice maker the night before.
If the motels have little refrigerators, they are good enough to refreeze an ice pack or two overnight.

In fact, I accidentally left one in a Hull's Cove, Maine motel (Bar Harbor) a year ago in May. When I returned to the area in August and got the same room, the ice pack was still there! Frozen solid! :-D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts