StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 05 Vee to the dealer this saturday for a complete run-through. I purchased it in October, have ridden it sporadically (cause fall is my travel season for work) but I want it to be in tip-top shape for a Big Bend trip we are planning in May. Aside from the infamous clutch chudder, there appear to be no issues, but I will take it to the dealer mainly for 3 things:

Valve adjustment
TBS adjustment
Air filter change

Is there any other major service that you would recommend I ask them do as well? Oil changes I do myself and the brake pads are in good condition. I'm tempted to ask them to flush/replace the coolant as far as fluids are concerned because I can also do the brake bleeding myself. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
34K. I bought it with 33.5K from another dealer who said they had "prepped" the bike and changed ALL fluids on it. I know the dealership that I will be taking it to cause the owner rides with us and has a great reputation. I just haven't opened the bike up myself.

I do consider myself pretty handy with tools to perform "regular" maintenance tasks but valves and TBS is a different story. I would be comfortable tearing into it myself if I had someone around to walk me through the steps, but I realize that these tasks may take all day to perform all at once and I wouldn't want to be an inconvenience to anyone.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Photoryder, If you're comfortable with an basic tools, you can do the air filter yourself. It's an easy "intro" project that gets you under the hood, so to speak. The air filter is under the gas tank. There's a good write up on the gas tank removal here (http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/26543-dl1000-650-fuel-tank-removal.html).

Just mentioning it cause it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with what's under the tank anyway. You'll get an idea of where the rear cylinder is positioned and what you would need to do to get to the valves for adjustment. All the operations are within your mechanical aptitude (I feel pretty confident saying this) but you're right, the first time you do it always takes extra time.

The big check on the air filter is for the large rubber gasket that goes mysteriously missing on a lot of used Vees. Make certain you have one on your Vee and don't throw out the old one with the old filter if you replace the filter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I, too, picked up a '05 DL1K about two years ago with 15K on the clock. The PO had carefully maintained the bike and farkled it rather well. Mine also has the hiccups at 3500 rpm. A Power Commander III and a patient mechanic can dramatically reduce this PITA.

Given the amount of miles on your bike, check the condition/status of the chain & sprocket set, cush rubbers and make sure your boots are properly seated and secure.

If it doesn't have the following, consider these farkles:
- new fork springs & oil weight that are specific to your size and riding style
- Madstadt windshield bracket
- fork brace
- the earlier mentioned PCIII - although you will never have 0 hiccups, IMHO
- an aftermarket saddle (mine is Corbin, I like) or a radical improv. to stock

Maybe consider aftermarket exhaust (mine is Scorpion, I like). Drops weight and adds power, especially when tuned with a PCIII. Sounds reeaaaly good!

Good purchase and good luck to you. This is a great bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my baby back today. Rode her for about 100 miles before I got home and it is smoother than a baby's bottom :hurray:

The dealer changed out all fluids, adjusted valves, cleaned air filter, changed plugs, adjusted tbs, installed new battery, and recommended new tires (I knew that beforehand). I told them not to change the tires as I am still on the fence of what to get.

All in all, total cost was $347.64 out the door. Peace of mind that my Vee is in tip top shape at 34,500 miles, priceless! Love my dealer!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Got my baby back today. Rode her for about 100 miles before I got home and it is smoother than a baby's bottom :hurray:

The dealer changed out all fluids, adjusted valves, cleaned air filter, changed plugs, adjusted tbs, installed new battery, and recommended new tires (I knew that beforehand). I told them not to change the tires as I am still on the fence of what to get.

All in all, total cost was $347.64 out the door. Peace of mind that my Vee is in tip top shape at 34,500 miles, priceless! Love my dealer!
That is a great price. I wish I could find a dealer to do that stuff around here for that little scratch. I need to do a TBS since it has been 7K miles since my last one and I am not looking forward to pulling the tank. I hate doing it.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
,,,Peace of mind that my Vee is in tip top shape at 34,500 miles, priceless! Love my dealer!
I got a bike back from a very good dealer once, took a 250 mile run on the BRP, and got back home to discover the front axle clamp missing. Started doing all my own work from then on. At the very least, thoroughly go over the work area to make sure everything was replaced and tightened.

Oh, and I got a relatively new car back from a dealer to to find no oil cap and the original filter in place.

Trust, but verify.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would bet that the brake and clutch fluid have never been flushed with new DOT juice.. Brake fluid will retain moisture which can cause corrission and ultimately failure.

I would also flush the cooling system. While the newer ( last year or so) coolants claim they last forever, the older stuff will with age turn acidic and start to chew up on the insides of you new machine..

The last thing that is overlooked by many is changing the fork oil. I know many will call BS on this but you will be AMAZED at what you will pour out of a fork tube after just 2 or 3 years of regular riding..

After that, load it up with goodies and ride it like you stole it!

Mark

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
My Old Indian Trick

Suck out the expansion chamber (turkey baster) and then add like Preston Corrosion/water pump lube concentrate. As she heat cycles then a little is drawn in at cooling
easy peasy.

Always a good idea to hit major bolts etc with a wrench at least once a year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts