StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just sold my KLR and now it's time to get a vstrom. I've owned nine bikes and ever single one has been a 650/600/500/300/200/450 single. I'm not sure what questions to ask when looking at a street bike...beyond the obvious like service records and the like what else should I ask? The bike I'm going to look at is 3 hours away. It's a 07 650 with 10xxxx miles. Extras include center stand, taller windshield, soft saddle bags, givi top case and 12 volt adapter.

Are there any known problems like the KLR Doohickey I should be asking about, any big services around 10k miles, other than the initial service are the valves due for adjustment?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
600 Posts
That is pretty low mileage for an 07. The 650 has no known mechanical problems like the Doohickey. Take it for a ride. Then you'll know what to do. If you get wind buffeting (the only major complaint), a Madstad bracket will fix that for less than $100. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Dom, rj's advice is good. Just take a good look at everything, then ride it. Be prepared for a tall, top heavy bike. It isn't top heavy when moving, it is great, but when stopped, or just before stopping at a stop, don't let it get away from you. The bike should feel light, responsive, and agile. You'll like it!

Get all the maintenance records. If the seller doesn't have the owner's manual, you can order one at a Suzuki parts counter. That has all the maintenance recommendations. Most are valid; a few are overkill. We'll let you know if you ask.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well I just sold my KLR and now it's time to get a vstrom. I've owned nine bikes and ever single one has been a 650/600/500/300/200/450 single. I'm not sure what questions to ask when looking at a street bike...beyond the obvious like service records and the like what else should I ask? The bike I'm going to look at is 3 hours away. It's a 07 650 with 10xxxx miles. Extras include center stand, taller windshield, soft saddle bags, givi top case and 12 volt adapter.

Are there any known problems like the KLR Doohickey I should be asking about, any big services around 10k miles, other than the initial service are the valves due for adjustment?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Having just gone from all dirt bikes to the addition of a Wee myself, I can tell you, you don't have to ask about whether the bike needs to be rebuilt or whether the frame is bent. Instead, typical road bike concerns are:

1. Are there any microscopic paint scratches?
2. Does all the luggage match?
3. Where are the extra keys, owner's manual, and OEM tool kit?
4. What was the total retail cost of all the farkles?
5. What was the top speed ever achieved on the bike?

·
Registered
269 Posts
If your KLR had the IMS tank on it. Something Naval Aviators commonly refer to as a Texaco. Then the Vstrom will be no more top heavy that what you are used to with your KLR. If I didn't have the IMS tank, plan your first few turns with caution.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
My KLR feels lighter than my Wee-Strom but every time I get on the Wee it just all falls in to place and feels "right".

I got off a BMW R1150GS so the step across didn't feel noticeable.

When I bought the KLR it felt small and light compared to the Wee, but the Wee feels better for overall riding.

No issues worth mentioning with the Wee, just check all the basic things you would look for on any bike [mine has 45,000km on it and I've only just ordered a chain and sprockets today, the originals would actually still make it to 50,000km].

Just be ready for the initial feeling of big and heavy compared to the KLR, that feeling will disappear within a week or two.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
1. Are there any microscopic paint scratches?
2. Does all the luggage match?
3. Where are the extra keys, owner's manual, and OEM tool kit?
4. What was the total retail cost of all the farkles?
5. What was the top speed ever achieved on the bike?[/QUOTE]

I sure wouldn't want you looking at a Bike I had for sale! :green_lol:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey All, thanks for all the replies. I've since picked up a Wee and put a little over a thousand miles on it since I picked it up....now I gotta just get around to changing the oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts