StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if I missed this somewhere but it seems that when valves are discussed procedure is the only thing covered.
I assume that the valve and journal covers have gaskets? Is there a kit with part # for this job?
Or simply use a gasket sealer like Permatex?
I also assume the radiator needs to be dropped - isn't there a specified antifreeze that has to be used?
I also see a lot of folks that just blow out the air filter - I usually replace the durned things - replace or just clean?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Apologies if I missed this somewhere but it seems that when valves are discussed procedure is the only thing covered.
I assume that the valve and journal covers have gaskets? Is there a kit with part # for this job?
Or simply use a gasket sealer like Permatex?
I also assume the radiator needs to be dropped - isn't there a specified antifreeze that has to be used?
I also see a lot of folks that just blow out the air filter - I usually replace the durned things - replace or just clean?

The valve covers have a reusable rubber gasket. You won't need sealer unless you damage the gasket somehow.

How many miles on the bike? I did valves at 30K miles and replaced the spark plugs. Yea they looked good but I figured while I had it apart I would spend the $40 on plugs. Changed the air filter too.

Don't remember what anti-freeze I used just whatever was aluminum safe.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you're just doing a valve check, and not an adjustment, it's pretty light on needed replacement parts. A new o-ring for the crank end cap, a crush washer for the indexing inspection cap (both on the left side of the crank case), are called for by the book, and cheap enough. The valve cover gaskets should be reusable with some care during removal, but you'll need some RTV-type sealant when you put it back together whether you reuse or replace the gaskets; no gaskets on the cam holders, but these don't get removed during a check anyway. No need to break into the cooling system, though removing the radiator gives you a bit more working room.

Anything else at this point would be a target of opportunity...oil and filter, new plugs, air filter, coolant, etc.

I did a check and adjustment over the winter; additional parts for an adjustment (for me) where new crush washers for the cam chain tensioner bolts, and ~$5 for shims from Amazon (I was able to use the front exhaust shims on the rear exhaust valves, so I only needed to buy one size). (If you remove the entire cam chain tensioner mechanisms instead of just the end bolts, you'll need to replace those gaskets.) The manual also calls for using a moly/oil mix when reassembling the shims/buckets/cams, but I made do with some engine assembly lube I had on hand. For the adjustment, I did remove the radiator, and replaced the lost fluid with Engine Ice which I also had on hand.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My bike has lost about 6 mpg and I figure it's the air filter - so that's why I'm going in.
With 16K on the bike I figure it wouldn't hurt to check the valves while I have all the junk off.
I figure since the bike is 2 years old and the radiator will give me elbow room (plus I have a screen ready to fit) thus the coolant question.
I'll be reworking some wiring I fished through with a clotheshanger too ;)

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Call me a heretic but I saved the old coolant and put it back in the radiator after service. I did top it off with filtered water.
It was clean and not discolored even after a goodly long many years.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Call me a heretic but I saved the old coolant and put it back in the radiator after service. I did top it off with filtered water.
It was clean and not discolored even after a goodly long many years.
lol - Heretic!
Used to be you could buy a bottle of coolant additives which is the only thing that "wears out" in anti-freeze.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
I've read stories about Gold Wings and problems with wrong coolant. Seems the local moto shop should be able to sell a gallon of appropriate coolant without any drama or need to worry about the properties of the contents. I wouldn't expect to be looking at WalMart for coolant on the cheap to save a buck. Especially since the change is done so infrequently.
I just haven't had to do that yet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I used Honda Premixed coolant. A little pricey but no mixing necessary and aluminum safe.
You must do a lot of off road if the filter is that dirty at 16k miles to lose 6 mpg. I did change mine at 30k miles when I did the valve check and it was still pretty clean even though I had ridden the bike across the US in lots of rain and desert roads. It just might need a valve adjustment! Let us know what you find out?
I just saw you are on the 650, so maybe the air filter gets dirty faster than the DL1000. ???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Back in the day when I ran water cooled Huskies we used toyota anti-freeze as it had the highest boiling point of 270* mixed 70% AF &30% water. Doing a couple back to back hill climbs you had boiling water blowing on your left leg with plain Anti-freeze.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Most auto parts stores sell a 'Universal' coolant which is safe for all rad systems....that's what I used.

Make sure the air filter comes with a new rubber gasket, if it does not, remove the one from the oem one that's in there and put it on the new filter.

If you have to adjust the valves, you will need some extensions(at least one long and one short or two long ones) and a swivel socket to get to the rear tension-er. Wrap some electrical tape on the swivel to restrict it's range to about 30% and go in above the swing arm to grab the tension-er bolt and remove it.

The front cylinder on 2012 and up is a pain to get to...just take your time and have plenty of light(a headlamp helps too). Front tension-er can be accessed with extensions without removing the air filter base but it's tight.

Have some bungees or long zip ties ready to keep stuff up and out of the way.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If you need to take the cam shafts out zip tie the timing chains to the sprockets. That way you are sure not to change the timing.

There were some instructions here in the past for the 1st gen 650 engines how to release the tensioners with a long screwdriver from the top. Not sure that still applies but others may be able to comment??

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used Honda Premixed coolant. A little pricey but no mixing necessary and aluminum safe.
You must do a lot of off road if the filter is that dirty at 16k miles to lose 6 mpg. I did change mine at 30k miles when I did the valve check and it was still pretty clean even though I had ridden the bike across the US in lots of rain and desert roads. It just might need a valve adjustment! Let us know what you find out?
I just saw you are on the 650, so maybe the air filter gets dirty faster than the DL1000. ???
Actually not much offroad. However lots of road construction with many months of chewed up asphalt plus pollen counts you wouldn't believe.
Seriously - for about 2 months I wore chaps because of the chips flying up from the road stung like bees.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The factory manual gripes my ass.
Not one place in all those pages gives you part numbers for even common things like the air filter.
This is a PITA because one of the online parts places handed me the wrong part number.
Why on earth is this info missing from the manual?
Anyway is 13780-27G10 the correct part number? I can't even find the part# here on site.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
There were some instructions here in the past for the 1st gen 650 engines how to release the tensioners with a long screwdriver from the top. Not sure that still applies but others may be able to comment??
I wrote an article a while back on how to check and adjust the valve clearances. Hope it's ok to post a link to it

Check & Adjust Valve clearances - DL650

Releasing the cam chain tension is pretty easy. Remove the bolt from the cam chain tensioner (at rear of each cylinder) and then release the ratchet mechanism with a long flat screwdriver.

12mm socket and extension on front tensioner

Location of rear tensioner, PITA to get to but possible.

Release the ratchet using a screwdriver

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
The factory manual gripes my ass.
Not one place in all those pages gives you part numbers for even common things like the air filter.
This is a PITA because one of the online parts places handed me the wrong part number.
Why on earth is this info missing from the manual?
Anyway is 13780-27G10 the correct part number? I can't even find the part# here on site.
It's 13700-11J01

Only worry about the first set of numbers....13700

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/54d932f987a86520e80d6c1a/air-cleaner

But all the DL650 air filters up to 2017(not sure about 2018) are the same, so just get a Emgo off amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Replacement-Filter-Suzuki-V-Strom/dp/B0050ITG52/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1526301005&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=DL650+air+filter

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's 13700-11J01

Only worry about the first set of numbers....13700

https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oemparts/a/suz/54d932f987a86520e80d6c1a/air-cleaner

But all the DL650 air filters up to 2017(not sure about 2018) are the same, so just get a Emgo off amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Replacement-Filter-Suzuki-V-Strom/dp/B0050ITG52/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1526301005&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=DL650+air+filter
Ummmm that link, item #8 is the filter and it also has 13780-27G10.
You're looking at the little breather block

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Ummmm that link, item #8 is the filter and it also has 13780-27G10.
You're looking at the little breather block
Oops, you are right. 13780 is the air filter number and they are still the same thru 2017.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts