StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
riff42 said:
What is the oil filter # I should be looking for? I want to change the filter this next oil change, but can't find it anywhere.
I searched the owners manual and the service manual and could not find a number.
So I went to my garage and the box on the filter my dealer sold me had this number on it .

16510-03G00-X07

I used it at 500 miles and it worked and was the same as I took off.
Cost was 11.95 at my dealer.

HTH

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont think that number will help. even dennis kirk came up with no matches for the dl650 on their search. might as well just get one from the dealer this week.

F

·
0 Posts
Oil Filter

Fram Filter # PH6018 from Pep Boys $9.10, Special order 5 day delivery :D

M

·
0 Posts
I do not know where you are but here i goto autozone and pick the stp 018 off the shelf

i used the same on my 99 bandit 1200....suzuki uses the same oil filter on most bikes , snow mobiles .So a snow mobike place should carry it too

F

·
0 Posts
As I understand the Fram filters will not void the warranty.

Autozone quoted 6 bones for the STP filter. :D :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't believe everything I read on the internet but there is too much information about the poor quality of Fram filters to ignore.

I get Wix 51359 filters at O'Reilly. They usually have one or two in stock and they're about $8.

·
Registered
360 Posts
FWIW, I used Frams in my ZR-7 with no problems. The difference is that you only replace the element in the ZR (messssyyyy) so there aren't any cardboard bits to worry about.

I also don't screw the Wix filters down two full turns because it just feels way too tight. I have pretty big, strong hands and have always hand tightened oil filters with nary a leak.

F

·
0 Posts
If you check the site I posted two back from this one, the K&N filter has one up on most of the rest inasmuchas it has a bolt head on the end of the filter. This would save the cost of the dealer or aftermarked end cap
removal tool. And, it seems to be, by the autors comments, the best filter.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I use slip-joint oil filter pliers for removal. They tear the hell out of the filter but it's a used one so I don't care.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ok gang I have a 650K5 and am looking for an alternative oil filter than the one from the dealer at 13 bucks so far from what the posts say I have the choice of:
WIX 51359 at $8
Fram PH 6018 at $9
STP 018

Will they all fit the DL650? My son has a GSXR 600 and it has the same size filter as mine so I will be looking for two or more. I am new to this so please excuse me if I am stupid asking. :oops:

Thanks
Jag

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So there isn't a set "filter number" for the filter the DL uses? Well that doesn't help......
or, are all 2 7/8"ish filters the same mounting threads?

F

·
0 Posts
Oil Filters and thread pitch

I was looking at the site;
http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/index.shtml
which I posted on 6/14/05, and noted this comment regarding the OEM Suzuki filter:
"This filter is manufactured by Tokyo Roki, Ltd. An excellent filter. The mount uses a finer thread pitch than the others seen here, but otherwise is identical in construction to the Honda OEM filter. Yet another excellent filter".

I recall reading, in the owners manual, a similar statement pertaining to the thread pitch of the filter mount, and to only use a Suzuki filter.

Not all metric threads are created equal. There are the Japanese and DIN (Euopean).
Source: Carrol Smith's book: Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing.
(available through www.campusi.com )

Any comments???

F

·
0 Posts
But wait, there's more...

These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

Available filters include:
AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
VESRAH vsf-3009

W

·
0 Posts
BTW, the AMSOil, K&N, Napa Gold, Purolator and Suzuki filters are known to be especially solidly built. Avoid the FRAM like the plague. Their crappy cardboard construction is all too well known to fail and trash motorcycle engines.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Amsoil #SMF109 :D :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use K&N's on my bikes. I love the fact that the nut is built into the filter, it makes it so much easier to mess with and torque to spec. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts