StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as some of you may have read on some of my posts I am researching my next bike purchase. Being a big guy I figured the Vee would be the bike for me but I had a post up a few weeks ago asking if I was to big for the Wee and was surprised to find so many big guys like me and even some bigger going for the Wee. Don't take this question wrong as I don't mean to bash on the Wee but why do the sell better and seem to be more popular than the Vee? Besides the obvious better fuel mileage, and ABS what is the attraction to the smaller motored Wee? Am I missing something here? I have decided the need for ABS won't influence my upcoming purchase so why would one choose the Wee over the Vee?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would do a search on this as it has been discussed in depth. In summary many people prefer the Wee because the bike handles well and the power is delivered smoothly and in a very usable way. Don't be fooled into thinking that you need big liter bikes to move a big guy around. I moved from a 1200 BMW to the Wee and have been quite happy with the power. Having said that the 1000 is a great bike too. Do a search the answers are all there.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
You should get the Wee

It will be easier to beat you to the next turn

One of the reasons I sold my GIXAH was it was impossible to ride relaxed. THe slightest tweak and she was doing something dangerous. The Vee is not that twitchy but that is a matter of attitude by the operator.

My only real advise is once you pull the trigger never look back.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My take and this is only my demented opinion, is that the dirt usage...or perceived dirt usage makes many think the 1000 would be too much bike for dirt and the 650 would be milder for dirt and still enough bike for street. The second reason is the 1000 has curable warts (lean factory settings on EFI and some clutch noise) which most Vees experience. The wees are typically spot on from the dealer. Many just do not want to fix something like that. Both are cheap and easy fixes.

Both are great machines. But I figured early on that the wee or vee, are just to dam heavy and sit too low to be considered "real" dirt bikes. Not for me anyway as I do not want a hernia or blown knees taking a Suburban where a CJ-5 would work better.

So, I look at Stroms from the road riding perspective. Here, the extra torque and HP are a no brainer considering they come at 30 or so pounds extra weight in the same frame and styling. And you get a little better suspension to boot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I choice because back in 08 when my wife let me buy a motorcycle again, I could afford the wee outright and I didn't have enough to buy the vee outright. In 08 she still absolutely hated motorcycles. She had a close friend die on a motorcycle in her teen years. She will now ride on the back with me. It was 2 years after I got it, before she would even sit on it. You better believe I take is smoothly with her on it now.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...] Am I missing something here? I have decided the need for ABS won't influence my upcoming purchase so why would one choose the Wee over the Vee?
I suspect a lot of vee buyers come from cruisers where you need at least 1300cc to be able to get moving uphil.

Those people would buy a vee because of the mistaken belief that engine size matters. (It doesn't: there's more than a few 100hp 250cc 2-smokes out there).

I thought I wanted the 1000 when I bought, because I didn't think the power of a 650 was enough for me (I came off a 200hp sportsbike). One try of the 1000 changed my mind and I started shopping for a KLR instead. I'm glad I revisited the strom though, because the 650 is just perfect.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
All the facts can be found here in detail.

You have to ride them and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
260 Posts
They really are two different animals. First decide if items like ABS, fuel mileage, etc etc are deal breakers or not, then ride both and go from there. 650 is no slouch, but if your a speed hooligan, the 1000 is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I don't see how extra horsepower is an advantage on winding mountain roads and switch backs where I get my thrills. 40 less lbs and ABS too. Straight roads should be outlawed.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't think that anyone else has mentioned it, but it will be one or two rate groups down on the insurance premium chart. That makes the 650 the gift that keeps on giving!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What makes the Wee a more attractive purchase over a Vee?

........a total lack of nards. :green_lol:

seriously though, I have ridden both, and I like the 1000 best.

The best way I can put it is, if you like horseback riding, there are docile horses, that can run with the best of them, but they have good manners and will never try and buck you off. That is the 650....
Then there are the horses that will try and throw you first time they sense you are not paying attention or off balance, they may try and rub you off on a tree, or buck you into space just for the hell of it....
that would be the 1000.....

and as mentioned, Insurance is less, MPG is more, APS is available..... yawn.... might as well be in a civic...

Which horse do you want?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
The day I bought my 650 I was on my way to buy a new Tiger 1050 or BMW R1200GS to replace the BMW R1150GS that I sold the year before. Buying a V-Strom was not even on my mind and buying a puny little 650 was the furthest thing from my mind. I had seen a V-Stom before, but had never done any research and knew virtually nothing about it.

I was fortunate to be able to test ride a DL1000, DL650, Tiger 1050, and BMW 1200GS in that order within hours of each other. There's nothing quite like riding the bikes back to back to get a feel for which bike you like best.

Long story short: I bought the 650 because of the four bikes I rode that day, it's the one that put the smile on my face. It was simply the most fun to ride. The bonus was that it was 1/3rd the cost of the GS that I probably would have bought had I not ridden the V-Stroms (The Tiger didn't do it for me) I'll admit that I wanted the "status" factor of the BMW and the "macho" factor of the bigger engine. But in the end when I set those things aside, the decision was really easy.

I strongly suggest that if at all possible you ride both bikes and make the comparison yourself. If you're ever up north, I'm sure I could arrange it. If you ride them back to back, one of them will immediately stand out for you over the other and the decision will be easy. For me it was the fun factor and flickability of the 650, but you may find that it's the grunt of 1000 and the sound of the dual pipes that makes you smile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am switching from an FZ1 to a Wee. My son purchased a Wee earlier this year and I have ridden it several times and have been very impressed. Bottom line for me I can really enjoy the ride AND the scenery. On the FZ1 it seems that its only most enjoyable to me when I am hammering it. I have also ridden the Triumph Tiger 1050 and the new 800 and for me you just can't beat the overall package that the Wee offers. I agree with the other posters the only way you will know what will work for you is to ride several Wee, Vee, Tiger, BMW. The one that is right for you will become apparent to you. Good luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Two Wees and only one ride on Vee

Lot of good advise above and a matter of choice.

I rode them both back to back recently. I rode my Wee over for my first ride on a Vee. The Vee has a lot more guts and the accelleration made me grin compared to more of a smirk on the Wee. There are other advantages to the Wee stated above but the Vee I rode (light mufflers and mod suspension) I thought handled almost as nimble as my Wee. I thought I was Vee hooked but after riding solo this weekend on my Wee (also has mod suspension) realized I can still get a pretty good grin on the Wee --and I don't ride as brisk with my wife on back anyway.

If I had 2 side by side I would pick the Vee I think; so I still have my eye open for one. But that new Wee sounds like it could be a tie breaker.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I own a Vee. I just got done riding a wee for a little over 600 miles and six days in the Dominican Republic. It is a great bike for a 650. As far as the handling goes for me it was transparent. I really felt no difference or a increased "flickability". The motor was very nice for the speed that we spent 95% of our time in. The 75 to 100kph. When the roads got really steep I spent quite a bit more time rowing the shifter then I have to on my vee. I would imagine it to be the same with a passenger. When traveling at higher speeds in the 110 to 120 kph (70 - 75 mph) the vibes in the handle bars were just right to put my hands asleep. For me where I live it would be where I spend a lot of time on the bike. This could be better with Grip Puppies I am sure.

One thing that was really annoying on the wee was the constant noise the front suspension made when hitting bumps. I was told by the others there that not all of them do that. I also missed the front caliper mod that I did to my vee for better braking. The straight roads are very few and far between in the DR.

The insurance on my vee runs me right around 250 a year so I would not expect a whole lot of savings there. Good luck with your choice you cannot go wrong with picking the Vstrom that is right for you.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...]
The best way I can put it is, if you like horseback riding, there are docile horses, that can run with the best of them, but they have good manners and will never try and buck you off. That is the 650....
Then there are the horses that will try and throw you first time they sense you are not paying attention or off balance, they may try and rub you off on a tree, or buck you into space just for the hell of it....
that would be the 1000...[...]
Nicely put; very poetic and extremely silly.
You're basically saying that the 1000 is undriveable; if that little bike requires all your attention to ride, you might want to stay in a cage or ride something with training wheels.

To the OP: The 1000 and the 650 are both no-brainer bikes; you sit on them and don't notice either one until the fuel gauge starts blinking. Ignore the macho knuckle-draggers that will try to talk you into a 1k on the grounds that it is exciting. Neither strom is exciting; they are both 2-wheeled toyota corollas and just like in the corolla, you get two choices of engine. Incidentally, you can shoehorn a 500hp v8 into a corolla and it wouldn't make it exciting. More power doesn't make the strom better; it makes it more difficult (shakes, needs more gas, needs more insurance, goes through more tires, etc.)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts