StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread, but I'm not very adept at searching.

I'm considering selling my beloved 2007 WeeStrom. I do a lot of two-up riding and would like a newer Wee (Glee?) with ABS. That, and my wife finds Tadpole the ugliest motorcycle on the planet (she really likes the looks of the newer generation). My bike only has 45,000 miles on it, mostly touring. When I mention that to my sport bike and Harley buddies they think I'm crazy expecting to get anything for a bike with such high mileage. I am baffled since we're only talking about 6,500 miles a year. I did some research and KBB says 13,475 is normal mileage for an under 750cc street machine (30,800 for an over 750cc touring bike is their norm). Huh??

So... what would you do? Try to sell it for several hundred under Blue Book or just wait and hope somebody who knows these bikes will come along and not be phased by the mileage? Would leaving most of the farkles on the bike help? Thanks in advance for all your sage advice.

Steve
2007 DL650 "Tadpole"
2000 VFR800

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Sorry if this has been addressed in a previous thread, but I'm not very adept at searching.

I'm considering selling my beloved 2007 WeeStrom. I do a lot of two-up riding and would like a newer Wee (Glee?) with ABS. That, and my wife finds Tadpole the ugliest motorcycle on the planet (she really likes the looks of the newer generation). My bike only has 45,000 miles on it, mostly touring. When I mention that to my sport bike and Harley buddies they think I'm crazy expecting to get anything for a bike with such high mileage. I am baffled since we're only talking about 6,500 miles a year. I did some research and KBB says 13,475 is normal mileage for an under 750cc street machine (30,800 for an over 750cc touring bike is their norm). Huh??

So... what would you do? Try to sell it for several hundred under Blue Book or just wait and hope somebody who knows these bikes will come along and not be phased by the mileage? Would leaving most of the farkles on the bike help? Thanks in advance for all your sage advice.

Steve
2007 DL650 "Tadpole"
2000 VFR800
You have to understand that for most people, a motorcycle is a toy. It's rarely ridden and serves only as a phallic projection that allows them to fantasize about exploring the world. However, those people all think they are bad ass riders that lay down a lot of miles, even though they might be doing 1,000 miles a year. To that end, 45,000 miles is a ridiculous amount of miles. I mean, who could possibly rack that many miles up????

Is 45,000 really a lot on a liquid cooled modern motor? Um, no. But to prospective buyers who slot into the above category, it will be.

My suggestion is to strip the bike of farkles, sell them off, then list the bike. You may end up having to sell it at a slight loss to move it, but the sale of the accessories should offset that. Who knows, you might find the 1:10 buyer who isn't a pogue, and he might give you what it's worth...

·
Administrator
16,998 Posts
I have nothing to add other than I totally agree with Meefzah!!!:yesnod:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My suggestion is to strip the bike of farkles, sell them off, then list the bike. You may end up having to sell it at a slight loss to move it, but the sale of the accessories should offset that. Who knows, you might find the 1:10 buyer who isn't a pogue, and he might give you what it's worth...
Thanks, MeefZah, I think that's what I will end up doing - once I see which, if any, of the farkles will fit the newer 650. I do feel that 45,000 isn't all that many miles - I let my old Concours go with a little under 100,000 but that was to a friend who had owned one before and felt the bike was barely broken in. I suspect most weekend bikers would have felt it was ready for the scrap pile ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
You might also trying selling it here since most of the folks here realize that there's generally lots of life in a strom with 45k on it. I bought mine from another memeber on this site.

mikeg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might also trying selling it here since most of the folks here realize that there's generally lots of life in a strom with 45k on it. I bought mine from another memeber on this site.

mikeg
Another good suggestion! Now to find that 2012+ with my name on it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What farkles do you have on your bike now?
Hmm... I'm away from the bike so I may not remember them all.

SW Motech engine guards w/highway pegs
SW Motech skid plate
radiator guard
plastic dash w/Datel voltmeter
grip heaters
Givi windscreen on Madstad bracket
PIAA 510 driving lights
LED amber running lights
Givi V35 cases and PLX racks
Givi E36 top case and Amotostuff adjustable top case mount
Sargent saddle
Suzuki hand guards
OEM centerstand
Fastway Evo foot pegs
fork brace (forgot which brand)
fender extender
Garmin 2610 on RAM mount
and maybe another one or two that I'm overlooking

Not all that much compared to others in the group, but it's made my Alaska and Arkansas tours quite comfortable. Obviously some of these (GIVI bags, for example) will swap over to a new generation 650 with a little effort while others (engine guards, extender, etc) would be probably best be left on the old bike.

Still at the dreaming stage, since I'm hoping to avoid buying a brand new replacement. And I am obsessed with the black and gray colors the Adventure model has come in. Don't want to offend anybody, but the orange, white, and blue models just don't do it for me ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I tried to sell a BMW F800ST. It had 40,000 miles on it and one guy wanted to offer me 2 grand for it because it had "extreme high mileage". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
627 Posts
I guess he'd offer me about .02 cents for my Strom :)
Suzuki should buy it from you, use it in an ad campaign for reliability and give you a new one along with a thank you letter!

Triumph did that years ago with a bike courier in the UK that ran a Trident or Sprint as I recall. He put an insane amount of mileage on it within a few years and they finally coerced him into giving it up and accepting a new one (he initially refused!). They tore it down and mic'd everything and were pleasantly shocked at what they saw.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
2007 Vee

I've got 136,000 km on my trusty steed. It runs as well as when I got it brand new. I've no reason to sell it yet and I suppose it won't be worth as much $ to the next owner as it has proven itself to me.
Apparently the higher mileage on these Vstroms means nothing except as proof how good they are.
I suppose a newer Vee of the 2014 design could be a consideration in the future.

·
Registered
138 Posts
With that list of farkles, I'd get another Strom just like it as a spare for the day it finally gives up the ghost, but at 45k, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. My K5 Vee is just about to roll over 50k, and aside from a few minor details I need to clean up, its as nice as when I bought it with 20k. And that's all commuting miles. As stated earlier, many people see motorbikes as toys. I put 40 miles a day, year-round, on my "toy." I racked up 36k on an older Ninja 250 the same way, so don't think that high miles are only within the range of big, modern bikes. Any bike, with proper care and maintenance, can come close to embarrasing any cage with its odometer.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts