StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PO said it was Bestem, and I pinged Bestem asking about getting a backrest. Send them some pics, and they said "No, that's close, but it's not one of ours."

So if this isn't a Bestem top box, what is it? I can't find any name or lettering at all anywhere inside or outside the box. I'm guessing the oval thing in the top plastic used to have a plate with the name, but that's long gone. And there's that kind of upward-arrow design there. Hoping someone recognizes this. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
It has the same closure/lock assembly as the Bestem and overall design looks very similar. My guess is a company in China designs and builds a bunch of different variations and sells them to Bestem or whoever else wants to stick their name on them. I bought one on Amazon with backrest, LED brake light, and universal mounting base delivered to the door for around $60. Every bit as good as the Givis I have owned for 1/4 the price. You could probably get the same for the cost of a back rest.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just found a couple with the same markings on eBay, with no "make or model" information on them. They're US$30-35 with free US shipping, so if you got it in Canada for C$60 it's probably the same thing. So you're probably right. Thanks!

I was bummed to find I couldn't fit my helmet into this one. Maybe they have a bigger one? Time to break out the measuring tape. :)

PS: Where in Nova Scotia are you from? My dad was from Sydney and my mom was from Truro.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Look at the Bestem on their site. The backrest is just four bolts and their's will probably fit your box if the surface area is similar.

Your's could be a JC Whitney or as someone said, one of a myriad of Chinese knock-offs.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's very close to my JC Whitney box. Everything but the pattern on the top is the same to what I have.
So I'll go in with the others and say it's a Chinese knockoff.
Mine fits my large modular helmet if I lay the helmet on its side.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yep , at one time JC Whitney sold those boxes in large and small. That looks like the small. I had the large ( on sale for 29.95) and it was close to Givi , but they have a stamped steel mounting plate that works well but will rust a little. Just Chinese knock-offs that lots of people sell. I'm not a big fan of Givi so I loved these old cases due to the price.
The backrest that some come with is very cheesy hard plastic . Your best bet is to cut a piece of plywood to fit . Take it to an upholstery shop for some foam and black vinyl. Drill 2 holes and put the pad on with screws. When I was in the seat biz I used to make them for the Emgo boxes that Dual Sport Touring sold. Usually I would make 2- one pad on the box and one just above it on the lid. Better than factory.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Yep , at one time JC Whitney sold those boxes in large and small. That looks like the small. I had the large ( on sale for 29.95) and it was close to Givi , but they have a stamped steel mounting plate that works well but will rust a little. Just Chinese knock-offs that lots of people sell. I'm not a big fan of Givi so I loved these old cases due to the price.
The backrest that some come with is very cheesy hard plastic . Your best bet is to cut a piece of plywood to fit . Take it to an upholstery shop for some foam and black vinyl. Drill 2 holes and put the pad on with screws. When I was in the seat biz I used to make them for the Emgo boxes that Dual Sport Touring sold. Usually I would make 2- one pad on the box and one just above it on the lid. Better than factory.
I was going to suggest the same thing.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The box has four holes where you'd expect a backrest. (They're currently covered from the inside with what looks like black electrical tape.) And I think Bestem's own backrests are just hard plastic. So yeah, very tempted to just roll my own. I think I even have some black vinyl lying around at home from previous efforts to re-cover the seat of my previous bike.... [Edited to add:] If I'm going to Michael's or Joann's for foam, what "kind" of foam should I be asking for? (I mean, I know I would want foam that's giving but pretty strong and stiff, but I have no idea what that would be called in the stores.)

·
Registered
412 Posts
My top box doesn't have a back rest and I figured it mighty need one. The wife never rides without her jacket and it has a back protector so she doesn't feel a thing. Just leans back like there is one.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice. My wife never rode with me on my older bike 'cause no backrest of any sort. And even though the jacket I got on sale once for her just in case also has a back protector, she'll be nervous about just being against the box. (Yes, she will readily admit that she is the princess in the story of "The Princess and the Pea". :) ) I figure between the leftover vinyl I think I still have, some foam, a bit of plywood, and some bolts, I could put something decent together over a weekend.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The spine protectors in jackets are made of very firm closed cell foam. Even 1/2 inch is good padding and the passenger probably would not need any more. I always have many different foams , but for home-made you can use carpet pad . The true name for carpet pad is Re-Bond . any auto upholstery shop will have scraps and will ....hopefully....sell some foam and some vinyl for 5 to 10 bucks . If you're near me I'll GIVE you some. And I have gel foam that I take out of seats that I show to people before I put it in the TRASH.
Landau foam is the best . It's a firm closed cell foam that was developed for landau tops on cars back in the 60's . Usually 1/4 " thick. It's similar to the pads in jackets but a little firmer. Add 1 layer of soft on top. Put a piece on the floor and kneel on it all day. Good stuff.
What not to use: Memory foam , gel foam , or real soft foam. It's always fun to make your own farkles.
Post above by Also Ran - I like your Joey Dunlop quote signature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts