StromTrooper banner
5241 - 5260 of 5279 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
@JoshDriving, for suggestions on installing the center stand springs, have a look at Suzuki Center stand spring or perhaps use heavy duty string and the aid of rear wheel. The rear wheel casting has a hole which one can use or tie off on a spoke close to the rim for best leverage. Have fun.
@JoshDriving I have the SW Motech but I assume the springs are very similar. I just used the screwdriver method and it was fairly simple. Maybe I just assumed it would be terrible from all the posts on here.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
@JoshDriving, for suggestions on installing the center stand springs, have a look at Suzuki Center stand spring or perhaps use heavy duty string and the aid of rear wheel. The rear wheel casting has a hole which one can use or tie off on a spoke close to the rim for best leverage. Have fun.
@JoshDriving I have the SW Motech but I assume the springs are very similar. I just used the screwdriver method and it was fairly simple. Maybe I just assumed it would be terrible from all the posts on here.
Good stuff, thanks!

Seeing all the contraptions in Gert's link to get the springs on, I'm inclined to come up with my own rendition to add to the soup. Thinking a mini come-along using ratcheting straps or turnbuckle off the back wheel. Let me dig around in see what I can [devize].

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good stuff, thanks!

Seeing all the contraptions in Gert's link to get the springs on, I'm inclined to come up with my own rendition to add to the soup. Thinking a mini come-along using ratcheting straps or turnbuckle off the back wheel. Let me dig around in see what I can [devize].
Before you go crazy with contraptions, give the screwdriver a try. Literally took me about 2 minutes to get the springs on.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
Hey now, sometimes the fun is in finding an overly complex but awesome solution to an already solved problem!

Like when I repainted my Kappa K48 top case instead of just getting a new one.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Trying GPS mount today with bag and an old Garmin 50. Want to see how the mount works, re-purpose an old GPS and see how the Garmin Zumo XT is making out before pulling the trigger on that.

Packing materials Gas Auto part Plastic Cable

·
Registered
2008 Suzuki DL650
1 Posts
Just bought engine guards, skid plate, radiator protector shield and a throttle lock. Getting ready to do the Dempster highway in June!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
Well there's a product I never knew existed.

Apparently it's supposed to keep chain fling from getting lube and stuff on your rear wheel.

Neat.

·
Administrator
14,567 Posts
Well there's a product I never knew existed.

Apparently it's supposed to keep chain fling from getting lube and stuff on your rear wheel.

Neat.
It would be ideal for chains if bikes went back to fully enclosed chains. Not for concerns of flinging but rather to keep the chains from the elements and keeping the lube in them. Maybe this is the first step in that direction?

..Tom

·
Registered
2014 Suzuki DL650A V Strom
44 Posts
I wonder how often (if ever?) you'll need to clean out the crud that is no longer flinging off. Curious to hear your experience once you have some miles with it.
The crud is still going to fling off. The crud is going to end up on the inside of the chain guard instead of the rear wheel.

As far as the quality, it’s plastic. It only has to catch the crud from the chain, so if it will stay on the swingarm it should be good enough. Like I said before, I don’t think it will stay on there during riding, but we’ll see.

EDIT: I just discovered that I was supposed to remove and reinstall my rear axle the opposite way in order for that plastic clip to have a better hold on the bike and stay on there better.

EDIT AGAIN: Fixed!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
It would be ideal for chains if bikes went back to fully enclosed chains. Not for concerns of flinging but rather to keep the chains from the elements and keeping the lube in them. Maybe this is the first step in that direction?

..Tom
Would it? I was under the impression that chains were formerly enclosed because yesterday's chains weren't that great. We have much better chains now yes?

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
442 Posts
Would it? I was under the impression that chains were formerly enclosed because yesterday's chains weren't that great. We have much better chains now yes?
Yes, old chains weren't much.
With folks getting up to 25k miles out of a chain/sprocket set (perhaps more from the sprockets) it's not that much of an issue to me and most of my bikes have been/are shaft drive. Oiling (whether needed or not) is a bit of a pain but not a game changer. I'm at the time of needing to replace the chain on my '07.
Weight and cost savings are the prime motive to design around a chain, but less power loss with chain drive on smaller displacement units might also play into the equation.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
The crud is still going to fling off. The crud is going to end up on the inside of the chain guard instead of the rear wheel.
True enough, I was unclear. Crud will fling off the chain, but may now stick to the guard instead of your rear wheel. So my question should have been:

I wonder how often (if ever?) you'll need to clean out the crud that is flung off the chain but now sticks to the guard? I've never used one, so it may not matter at all, I'm genuinely curious.

Many pics of crud building up around the front sprocket, and with what appear to be fairly tight clearances with the guard, I imagine it'll get built up there, too. One example of front sprocket crud out of many posted over the years:

·
Administrator
14,567 Posts
Currently my chains last over 50,000miles. Wouldn't it be cool to never need to change a chain over 100,000 or 200,000 miles and not have the weight and maintenance of a shaft?

..Tom

5241 - 5260 of 5279 Posts