StromTrooper banner

What maintenance/mods/farkles did you do to your Strom today?

561061 5675
- I cleaned and lubed the chain.

- Installed my new mirror extenders.
5101 - 5120 of 5676 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
New chain (EK) and sprockets (JT). The front JT sprocket is rubber dampened like the OEM and is available in 15, 16, 17 tooth. I went with the 16T. Ordered all from Sprocket Center with free shipping. Replaced worn Tourance front and rear with Bridgestone T32's. Converted front calipers to Nissin four pots from a 2002 CBR954RR (thanks Blair, @ SVRacingParts!). Now I am in the painful stage of bleeding the front brakes, AARRGGHH!

·
Registered
847 Posts
New chain (EK) and sprockets (JT). The front JT sprocket is rubber dampened like the OEM and is available in 15, 16, 17 tooth. I went with the 16T. Ordered all from Sprocket Center with free shipping. Replaced worn Tourance front and rear with Bridgestone T32's. Converted front calipers to Nissin four pots from a 2002 CBR954RR (thanks Blair, @ SVRacingParts!). Now I am in the painful stage of bleeding the front brakes, AARRGGHH!
Get some SpeedBleeders for those calipers, and be in pain no more!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,894 Posts
Installed Aprilia Tuono-style mirrors. Had them on the old Vee. They're a bit wider so should improve the view to the rear.

Also they look way better with the rest of the bike. Square OEM mirrors looked kinda wrong.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hood

Installed a couple goodies on the new Strom this week. Threw on some Rox offset risers and an SW Motech centerstand.

A couple notes on the centerstand…..Screwdriver method made putting the springs on very easy. Definitely install the right side first. That way you don’t have to fiddle with the stand itself when mounting the bracket That right-side top bolt is a pain in the arse with the muffler in the way.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Once the weather stops my riding(2-4 Weeks?) winter maintenance will start, so a swingarm removal socket was ordered($15). Then 4 spark plugs($55). I'll be able to grease(Hopefully not replace) all the rear suspension bearings, check valves and any other items that might need it. 62,000 mi.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have mirror issues. All three left mirrors I've had on my 2015 DL650 have sagged at the ball joint — stock, Tuono knockoff, and Tuono OEM. I recently gave my left side Tuono OEM a good shoulder smack walking past it in a tight garage and obliterated the ball joint completely. Doh. (Though I had not previously done so pre-sag for any of the mirrors.)

I narrowed my options down to two cheapos: Emgo Mark II 20-25171 (Right) / 20-25172 (Left) and Holeshot Emgo Superbike GP (which I imagine are avaialble cheaper elsewhere). I chose the Emgo Mark II for their supposedly better adjustability and I can confirm:
  • they are way more adjustable at the ball joint, in all directions, than any other mirror I've used on any bike
  • they have a ball joint friction screw to loosen or tighten the ball joint; when the inevitable left hand mirror sag trend continues, hopefully I can tighten it up a bit (making sure not to monkey it and blow it out).
Bonus #1: they are suitably ugly.
Bonus #2: they have a hole for holding my glasses when I hop off the bike.

Cruddy pics:

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,894 Posts
I like to match the color to the bike's plastics. 2007 Vee had blue plastics for example.

Customtaylor33 also has an "Engineering grade black" option. Would give a more understated daytime look if you have the black cast rims.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I have mirror issues. All three left mirrors I've had on my 2015 DL650 have sagged at the ball joint — stock, Tuono knockoff, and Tuono OEM. I recently gave my left side Tuono OEM a good shoulder smack walking past it in a tight garage and obliterated the ball joint completely. Doh. (Though I had not previously done so pre-sag for any of the mirrors.)

I narrowed my options down to two cheapos: Emgo Mark II 20-25171 (Right) / 20-25172 (Left) and Holeshot Emgo Superbike GP (which I imagine are avaialble cheaper elsewhere). I chose the Emgo Mark II for their supposedly better adjustability and I can confirm:
  • they are way more adjustable at the ball joint, in all directions, than any other mirror I've used on any bike
  • they have a ball joint friction screw to loosen or tighten the ball joint; when the inevitable left hand mirror sag trend continues, hopefully I can tighten it up a bit (making sure not to monkey it and blow it out).
Bonus #1: they are suitably ugly.
Bonus #2: they have a hole for holding my glasses when I hop off the bike.
Took these out for more than just local errands this weekend. On my 2015 DL650, they're perfectly clear up to around 70 mph, at which point they get just a touch fuzzy, and then again at 85-90 they get a little more fuzzy. Never so much that I can't easily distinguish vehicles behind me, their position, distance, number of headlights, turn signals, etc. Just not crystal clear at higher speeds.

Update: After a recent fastener check / tighten on the whole bike, including Givi crash bar front connection, these look great even at high speeds.

More than good enough for my purposes and I already like them better than both OEM and Tuonos. Time will tell if they're durable. I honestly like the OEM, since I got mirror extenders from Rick at ADVtech. If the OEM weren't 7x the cost of the Emgos, I'd probably stick with them. Brief blurb / dimension for each:

The OEM provide very good coverage: good width and usable height across the full width, though kinda silly high for my purposes. Very little coverage lost in the corners.

The Emgo Mark II also provide very good coverage: good width (ever so slightly wider than OEM) and usable height across the full width (without unnecessary height). Again, very little coverage lost in the corners.

The Tuono OEM provide good coverage, but it took me a while to get accustomed to their unique shape: widest of the bunch and usable height in the middle, with significant height lost in the corners. They ultimately provide as good coverage as OEM and Emgo, but I had to train myself to be happy seeing a partial view of vehicles since the corners cut out so much.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,894 Posts
Eastern Beaver brake light adapter plus one of these:

to connect the brake light kit in my top case, which I wrote up in a much earlier post:

It's the same ol' Kappa K48 case that I had on my 2007 Vee, which survived the idiot hitting me head-on earlier this year.

I didn't bother wiring the top case LEDs to also work as a second tail light, though the EB adapter does offer this option. I suspect it may be more effective if the top case lens lights up only when brakes are applied.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I like that bash plate! Eventually would like to get a similar all-welded unit.
Thanks. I wanted that one specifically because it doesn't mount to the engine casing. Installation was a breeze, even for someone with my limited mechanical skills. Rear mounting bracket mounts to an exhaust hanger and the side stand mount, the front bolts to the crash bars. Did need a breaker bar to get the kick stand bolts loose though.

5101 - 5120 of 5676 Posts