StromTrooper banner
5021 - 5040 of 5076 Posts

·
Registered
2002 1000 V-Strom
65 Posts
Pulled the forks to freshen the oil with 15w and new seals but didn't have any emery cloth on hand to clean up the scuffs from the lower tree. Waiting for the stores to open again tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 DL1000XT L8, 1977 GT750A "Kettle"
36 Posts
Fitted this to the side stand. Took all of three minutes and man am I tired out.... ;)

Came from AliExpress. Looks decent enough and in our money it came out at just under 11 GBP with tax and delivery.

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
Can I post what Farkles that I INTEND to fit to my bike? OK, thanks, let's go.

• Sidestand foot
  • Garmin Zumo XT
  • Ventura luggage rack
  • Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
  • Driving lights

These are all going onto my new 1050XT when I get it. Hopefully before the end of this week, if not next week.

I've owned around 20 bikes since I started riding at 16 back in the early '70s. Two of them were new: an '81 GSX1100EX and now the 1050, which will be my last bike, I think.

·
Registered
2002 1000 V-Strom
65 Posts
After addressing the fork maintenance the other day I got to wondering what the old Vee would look like updated with a beak.. so I started to mock one up.. matches the profile of the fender exactly looking down :alien:

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 1000 V-Strom
65 Posts
Installed new magnetic tank bag from Amazon - added some extra magnets and very happy with it. Just the right size for the Wee (pic). Took a good run down some old rail beds and bumpy trails and it held up great.. can't say the same for my dashcam.. need to tweak the mount some more. This was the first good test for my forks since the switch to 15w oil and huge difference! Very happy with that also :)

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not a V-Strom, but...

On Monday Darling Bride and I are leaving on a trip to Quebec. In preparation for it, on Wednesday I knocked her BMW F650GS off the kickstand in the garage and destroyed her Puig windscreen. After trying every ad for a similar bike in the province, every BMW dealer in a 250km radius of home, and 5 different motorcycle wreckers, I was forced to admit that there would be no replacement in time for our trip. Darling Bride was not pleased.

The solution turned out to be two strips of 1/8 inch aluminum, and the stock screen from my 2nd gen Wee. The top mounting holes on the Wee's screen are 40mm closer together than on the BMW's screen, and the BMW screen mounts with a single hole on the bottom, there's 2 on the Wee screen. I bent a strip of aluminum across the front of the BMW, drilled out the mounting holes for both screens, and put bolts in from behind to match the Wee's screen. A second strip for the bottom, trimmed to keep it from blocking the headlight, some washers (both steel and rubber to keep the rattling down) and then bolt the Wee screen on from the top.

The end result is not pretty, but I took it out on the highway, and at typical Canadian highway speeds it's rock solid. Strangely, the screen works better on this bike than it did on the VStrom it was designed for. The air behind it is smooth and quiet. It wasn't on the VStrom. The screen hangs down over the headlight a bit, but I still had good visibility on my night-time test ride, and Darling Bride doesn't go out much at night anyway. I didn't have to make any modifications to either the screen or the bike, so when the proper screen comes in (I'm told, 4 to 6 weeks) we can just unbolt my contraption and screw the right screen on.

It's the first time I've tried to build anything for a bike, and I'm pretty happy with it. Should be an effective stop-gap until the new Puig comes in.

Light Helmet Automotive lighting Gas Bumper

·
Registered
'21 1050XT
192 Posts
Picked up the new 1050XT on Wednesday. Yesterday I fitted a few bits and pieces:
Garmin Zumo XT
Bryton 10 cycle computer (left over from my old Blackbird)
Quadlock wireless charger and vibration dampener
And ran an old power outlet to the front to power whatever may need powering.

I'm waiting on a tyre pressure monitor to arrive.

Automotive tire Motorcycle Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fumoto Valve installed! I have been using the Fumoto Valves on all my bikes and cars for the last 20 years after being recommended buy a guy who raced and said he used them on his bikes at the track for a quick oil change between races. They make oil changes so simple. Simply torque it down and never again have to use a tool to drain the oil. This does not stick out at all and is safe between the pipes underneath and of course if you have belly pan it protects it that much more. When I torqued it down, I used a small washer as a spacer between the small bolt in the oil pan and the Fumoto to keep it from touching it and of course removed the washer once torqued down.

If you get one, make sure you get the SX series since a standard one will not allow installation due to the lip on the oil pan. They have a lifetime warranty and have never done me wrong. The link for the one I put on 1050XT is below.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fluid Bumper
Camera accessory Gas Automotive tire Machine Nut

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,306 Posts
Speaking of oil. Does the 1050 use the same oddball oil filter size as the old 1000 did?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,306 Posts
Yep, that's the same filter as on my old 2007 DL1000. It uses a somewhat uncommon thread pattern (M20x1.0) where there are many more oil filters using a M20x1.5 thread.

California Scientific sells an oil filter adapter you can use to change the threading on the 1000's engine, to allow use of those M20x1.5 oil filters. I have one of these adapters, and the easy-out tool needed to remove the factory adapter. Never had a chance to install it. Bike was totaled before my next oil change was due.

Now I wonder whether that adapter could be used on a 1050? Which is possibly what I'll be riding next. I'm thinking "probably."

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
I removed the filter adapter from my 05 650 before selling it. Now on my 18 1000 for 60K. It allows me to use use several different filters and if i buy in quantity of 6 or more can keep the cost down by a lot.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
205 Posts
Prepping for a longer ride than the norm coming up Wed., checking all those vitals for correct torque, fluids, going over my pack list and setting the ride on the GPS. Now what is it I'll forget????? 🤪 Probably not much, still using my "Roadrunner" touring check list.
Ride safe out there

Reactions: Nightwolf

·
Administrator
14,375 Posts
Speaking of oil. Does the 1050 use the same oddball oil filter size as the old 1000 did?
It uses the same standard Suzuki filter that all the previous Stroms used.

..Tom

·
Registered
2018 DL1000XT L8, 1977 GT750A "Kettle"
36 Posts
Not really a farkle but ..... I had an Alaska Sheepskin on my 1150GS BMW, but until I can get someone with a very thick sewing needle to fit new elastics to it, I'll make do with this. It cost 7 of our English Pounds and came from wherever AliExpress sources their stuff. Fits in seconds and well, it may save my butt from sweating, or it might not.

From the positioning of the straps I guess it has to go this way up. It's a little "rough" to the touch. The other side non-slip. So far have only done about 20 miles and it wasn't all that noticeable.

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Fender Helmet

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
323 Posts
Very happy with my Cosmo skid plate and I've ridden a fair amount of gravel since putting it on. I chose the steel model as it was built as tough enough to use a lift on it. The gravel was starting to pit the powder coating/paint of it right where it gets thrown off the front tire.
Decided to give it a coating of FlexSeal (liquid rubber) to keep it from rusting and maybe even quiet the rattling from the stones pinging against it. Did some minimal masking and chose the spray version. Works great and dries fast. Applied it to the point of sagging in a couple or three coats. It's tough stuff but will see how it holds up thru the rest of the season.
Hood Bumper Automotive lighting Electronic instrument Gas
Gas Auto part Font Machine Metal

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
323 Posts
Nice. Do you have any close-up shots of it?

Or perhaps a wide shot of it, please?
I think I have/had posted these pics earlier in the thread when I installed the Cosmo this spring, but perhaps it's in another skidplate thread.
But, if so, sorry for the repeat. These are from the install time before applying the rubberized coating FlexSeal.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Vehicle brake
Office equipment Shipping box Gadget Packaging and labeling Carton
Wheel Tire Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Automotive tire

5021 - 5040 of 5076 Posts