StromTrooper banner

4801 - 4810 of 4810 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I wiped the dust off my plastics and brushed the cat fur off my sheepskin seat cover. I did a thorough maintenance on mine last fall.
IMG_0593.JPG

Yamaha designed the tank where it is easy to lift. It is hinged in the back and the fuel lines and wiring are long enough that nothing needs to be disconnected. You can do this in the woods if needed........smart little Japs.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,927 Posts
AutoZone did not have either the Fram or Purolator part numbers indicated in the old thread on breather foam. I ended up with their store brand version for the upper crankcase breather on the 1995 Chrysler Lebaron. Duralast BF2310DL.

The chunk of foam was not big enough for a complete replacement of the OEM foam. They didn't have anything else similar. I cut the new piece slightly oversized so it would seal tightly in the breather foam compartment, and placed it below the original foam. Both fit easily, no forcing required.

Maybe this will reduce my oil consumption. Vaporized oil will now have to make it past 2 kinds of foam to get burned.

No film of oil on the inside of the air box, other than directly inside the breather filter corner.

Put it all back together and had a test ride to check I didn't forget to reconnect anything. Could be I'm getting better at this, because I didn't get the Red LED of Doom on the dash.

Here we see the Autozone store-brand (Duralast) upper breather foam for the 1995 Chrysler LeBaron, next to the Suzuki OEM breather foam.

The Duralast foam isn't a big enough chunk to match the sheer volume of the Suzuki foam, unless you buy multiples and stack them. However the car-foam does have a large enough area, laid flat, to more than cover the footprint of the original foam. So that's how I used it.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,927 Posts
Have convinced myself that SO's Wee does not in fact need new fork seals. After the second cleaning with a Seal Saver, I've ridden the bike several times and exercised the forks thoroughly, yet the shiny part of the tubes remains bone-dry and clean. Whew.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did the "Easier ABS Switch Connection" mod on my 2020 650XT. Coming from my first bike, a DR650, I was really surprised by how easy it is to lock the back tire with ABS disabled!

·
Registered
2015 vstrom 650 abs
55 Posts
pulled the gas tank off, cleaned the air filter, ran switch and wires for abs switch mod, tank back on, pulled the wheels off, changed the bearing on the rear sprocket. tomorrow do the bearings on the back wheel and front wheel. my next set of days off go to a friends place and change the wheels, put bike together and insure it!

·
Registered
2020 DL650XT
12 Posts
Added a Brake Away throttle lock today. Had one on my previous 2006 DL650. Thought it worked very well. I like the front brake lever releasing the lock feature.

·
Registered
2012 V-Strom 1000
281 Posts
I have never "cleaned" my bike down to the nitty gritty. So oil change took the skid plate off. Rick is send me break pads this week. Going over chain and sprockets etc....getting ready for a big ride this year.

The crazy thing I noticed is, without the skid plate I do not think I would still own this bike. It has more wear on it then one would think. So stripping it down and repainting. Getting to the 40's some days here in MN. So as soon as the ice patches are gone I hope I am ready!

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
80 Posts
Swapped out the factory foot pegs for the ones on my Goldwing. Thanks to some posts elsewhere on this site I learned they are a direct fit swap. Much better, too. A bit lower (1/2-3/4") and wider so when standing the arches won't take so much pressure. Amazing how much difference a half inch or a bit more makes in the knee positioning.
It was mentioned that the Wing pegs might angle down very slightly. They did, so I ground down the sides of some thin washers for shim material and then drilled an 1/8" hole into the backer plate on the peg mounts and ran a small sheet metal screw into it to hold the washer behind the peg. Perfectly level and flat now and they feel great.
Thought I took a picture so it would explain better the shim/washer, but apparently the phone didn't capture or save it.

Now I need to find a replacement set for the pegless Wing before I forget. Maybe some mini boards. Maybe not...

4801 - 4810 of 4810 Posts