StromTrooper banner

4721 - 4740 of 4746 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DL650
24 Posts
Checked my valve clearances and changed the coolant Friday night. Did a quick test ride yesterday. Lubed the shift, clutch front/rear brake, and shift lever pivots today.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Have some new grips coming from Amazon. May get new OEM hand guards. Mine are kinda scratched up. Started taking that apart.

Found some GSXS forks on fleabay. Was thinking of putting them on the strom. :unsure:

My forks are 33" long so they may be too short.

·
Premium Member
2,863 Posts
Managed to get a 30 miler in last week and found that the 20mm risers make a fair difference. Can't wait for some longer rides.

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Registered
848 Posts
Got a new Trackside wheel chock from Cycle Gear. Curbside pick up at their new Edina (Southdale Mall), MN store. Six bolts and I got it assembled in less than a day. Works perfectly and unlike the wooden one I made, doesn't push across the floor when the bike approaches it.The D'Elle fits well in it, It's compact, half the length of the Pittsburg chock. With a little practice, I can get the bike lodged in the chock easily. Very stable.

I also got an Over-The-Dash GPS mount from AdventureTech. I haven't ridden with it yet, but I hope to in a couple days when it is supposed to get up to a sweltering 37ºF/3ºC.

Now the farkle jar is empty again, except for some oil & filter money. For me, having a self-imposed lay away plan keeps me from having a $100,000 V-Strom and nothing to eat.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
The mystery oil leak I posted about a few years ago (Small oil leak at bottom of engine (DL1000) | StromTrooper ) seems to have returned.

Don't know when it started, but noticed a greasy spot had gathered some dirt and small rocks in my skid plate last week, just like last time. Took skid plate off to investigate. A lot of the bottom and lower left side of engine was dirty. Nasty buildup of grime on crankcase above lower exhaust pipe, where it's hard to get at.

Some of that might have been migrated chain lube. A lot gets flung off the chain in the front sprocket area, with the excess dripping down onto the shifter shaft fitting & catching dirt.

I cleaned it all up and let the bike sit on the centerstand over 24 hours. No leak seen, so it's a slow one at least. As before, I went riding to see if it made a difference. Nope, still no visible leak. Puzzling.

The good news is that I still don't seem to have a leak from between the crankcase halves.

The bad news is that I have no freaking idea where the leak is happening. Engine oil is definitely being lost though. I thought to look for a leak, because my oil level decreased visibly over the last couple of months. I had to add about 700 mL to get back to "normal" level last weekend. Not good.

I was about due for an oil change, but I don't see any problem pushing that off a bit, given that I've now replaced about 1/3 of the oil.

This is a real mystery. I might have to do the UV oil dye thing, to truly track this down. I happen to have a "black" light bulb and amber-tinted glasses to aid in the hunt.

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe try the baby powder trick? I've used it once or twice on a customer's car that had a very small leak. It will show slight traces before your eye can see it. I've successfully used UV dye as well, but the black light shows corrosion on aluminum almost as bright as the dye to my partially colorblind eyes. Because of that, I try the powder first. As with anything, YMMV.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My 2002 is in pieces in the garage, waiting for new valve shims to show up. I'm doing some rewiring and wiring cleanup while it's apart, too. I was curious about the amp draw of some of the accessories the prior owner(s) added, so I did a little testing yesterday. My Oxford heated grips draw about 3.5 amps on high, and they're duty cycled at various rates throughout the lower settings. My driving lights draw about 1.3 amps each, so about 2.6-2.7 amps total. The added no-name compact air horn is headed for the trash bin. You can feel it have a bit of a tough time starting the motor. My meter jumped to over 15 amps as it started to honk, before settling down to just over 12 amps once it got going. Time for a Denali Soundbomb mini, I think.

·
Registered
2020 DL-650A, 1974 CB450T
28 Posts
Maybe try the baby powder trick? I've used it once or twice on a customer's car that had a very small leak. It will show slight traces before your eye can see it. I've successfully used UV dye as well, but the black light shows corrosion on aluminum almost as bright as the dye to my partially colorblind eyes. Because of that, I try the powder first. As with anything, YMMV.
We used to do this all the time at our shop for piston engine aircraft. Wash with varsol, blow dry with compressed air, dust with baby powder, run the motor at various power settings, shut down, then inspect. Works like a charm!

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Got a new Trackside wheel chock from Cycle Gear. Curbside pick up at their new Edina (Southdale Mall), MN store.
That's a pretty nice store. I was in there looking around right before xmas. Nice to have something closer than Bobs, where you can actually touch the stuff you want to buy. They actually had EBC pads in stock for my other bike.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
UV dye is in. Did a test with the dye prior, should have no trouble spotting any dye that makes it out. Nice bright orange color under the UV lamp. It's even easier to see with the amber-tinted glasses on.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
How do the spark plugs look?
No idea. Haven't looked at them in a while, they're not due to be replaced for several thousand miles. What do spark plugs have to do with a very slow leak at the bottom of the engine?

·
Registered
848 Posts
No idea. Haven't looked at them in a while, they're not due to be replaced for several thousand miles. What do spark plugs have to do with a very slow leak at the bottom of the engine?
I was just thinking that as you said...
"The bad news is that I have no freaking idea where the leak is happening. Engine oil is definitely being lost though. I thought to look for a leak, because my oil level decreased visibly over the last couple of months. I had to add about 700 mL to get back to "normal" level last weekend. Not good."...
that possibly it is being burned either instead of, or in addition to, a leak at the bottom end. 700ml seems like a lot of oil to lose and not be outwardly visible somewhere. Oily or fouled plugs could indicate bad valve guides or rings. It wouldn't necessarily be showing any smoke, what with a catalytic converter.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's a pretty nice store. I was in there looking around right before xmas. Nice to have something closer than Bobs, where you can actually touch the stuff you want to buy. They actually had EBC pads in stock for my other bike.
Bob's and Cycle Gear are about equal distant for me here in 'Sconnie. I do miss Midwest Cycle Supply over on 43rd St and Nicollet. Mpls. Great staff.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Exciting days! I replaced my Ram X-Grip phone mount, since it's spring was starting to get weak. Was never crazy about it, anyway.

I would like to have splurged on a Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much. Many other options have arms that conflict with the various buttons on my phone, but I finally found one that does the trick: an inexpensive vice-style.

Like I said...exciting days.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I got a sidestand foot pad in the mail today. Was a chapter from China. Fits well, but not sure it will hold up to use.

Its a bit beefy and I might have to grind off the edge where it contacts my center stand if interferes with the position switch.

But I can't take it out for a ride to test it

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since everything is still apart, and I'm waiting for parts, I pulled the fuel pump module and did the bypass mod. The pump is back in, but the tank will remain off until the engine is back together. I thought shipping would improve after the holidays, but I was mistaken. Waiting impatiently...

Even though most things I'm waiting for are taking their sweet time getting here, one bright spot today. I did order a Denali Soundbomb Mini from Twisted Throttle (on Ebay, actually, but from them). It showed up today. Granted, I'm in MA and they're in RI, but still. Impressive. Did the same amp test. Under 5 amps draw. The horn circuit ought to be much happier now.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,863 Posts
I might want to get one of those at some point.

I have a Stebel Nautilus horn. It works, it is loud, but it consumes a ridiculous amount of power. I've never measured the draw current, but it's got to be substantial. So much so that if I'm running heated gear at moderate to high settings, I run out of power & the horn sounds only weakly or not at all. Even at 3-5000 rpm. Not ideal.

Actually I'm not sure I could measure the draw current safely if I wanted. My multimeter can only handle 10A. Horns similar to mine are supposed to draw up to 18A.

4721 - 4740 of 4746 Posts