StromTrooper banner

4681 - 4698 of 4698 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Installed the over-the-dash GPS mount from @richlandrick at Adventuretech. Ordered it in July, and Adventuretech shipped it the next day, but thanks to Canada Post's covid-19 delays it didn't get to me until mid September, and by then my bike was laid up in Sudbury waiting for back-ordered parts after a breakdown on my vacation. The bike is back home now, the mount is installed, and it makes a huge difference. I was riding with the GPS on the handlebar before, having it up over the dash keeps it in my line of sight so I don't have to look down at it, and far enough away for my aging eyes to read...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ordered a Garmin Zumo XT and an automotive adapter kit. Totally blew up the farkle jar. I have a perfectly good Rand McNally TND 540 and I've been using it on the bike for the past three years, but it is really commercial truck oriented. It's not very bright in sunlight and its routing algorithms are for major highways. It is difficult to program a route from point A to point B on anything but Interstate, US and state routes, and there is no support for import/export of files. I'll keep it as I have scores of routes, waypoints and contact info loaded for when I occasionally still drive the 18 wheeler, but I am looking forward to using the Zumo on the bike and in the car.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Ordered a set of Heed crash bars for my Vee. They are still in Poland, with no idea how long shipping will take. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

·
Registered
492 Posts
When they come they'll look like this!

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
Good, that's even better than Givi's packaging.

I'm still going to be shocked if they're here before Christmas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cleaned the pistons and sliding brackets on the calipers, added 350ml oil to the engine, wiped a wet cloth over the headlamps and checked the tyre pressures.

Not much in the way of maintenance I admit but I have spent the entire weekend putting new felt on the shed roof, fixing the sticky garden gate latch, cleaning the lounge carpet with the Vax, installing new LED dimmer lights in the spare room that's my office, waterproofing the garage cladding, put up the Chistmas lights and dug out the footings for the new garden office that is arriving next week as my old office is now going to be a nursery and I'm relegated to the impending 'garden office'.

What I really wanted to do this weekend was take the little CRF250L off road at Salisbury Plain and get muddy whilst throwing myself at the scenery...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Degunked the area around the front sprocket and installed new front & rear sprocket. As I am waiting for delivery of my chain rivet tool I couldn’t put the new chain on. I did briefly re-install the old chain (minus one link side plate) so I could torque down the front sprocket nut.

I had cleaned the front sprocket area last spring, but 10,000 km and a fair amount of gravel and muddy gravel roads this summer nicely replaced all the oily gunk.

Posted elsewhere, but here again is my old front sprocket on top of the new one.

·
Registered
2020 DL 650X, 2018 CRF250L
14 Posts
Did the first oil and filter change on my 2020 DL 650...950km. Ravetech mini skidplate, Aprilia mirrors, Perfect Squeeze phone holder, OEM aluminum chain guard and Nelson Rigg Enduro bags installed so far. MRA X screen Sport and bar-back risers on order. Need to get a factory service manual ordered. This bike has more than lived up to expectations and at a young 70 years of age I expect to be putting on a lot of miles over the next 20 or so years. :LOL:
20201108_111623.jpg

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well, I have been slowly repairing her since the crash. At one point I had her pretty much all back together, looking great and took a few pictures. Then yesterday I finished taking her apart again. You see, I have a new-to-me left switch pod to install (hazards and flash to pass). I also wanted to connect the new driving lights through a switch instead of directly to the high beams. Good time to tidy up any wiring and add a couple of vacuum hose extensions for future throttle body syncing.

I said yesterday and I'll say it again today - that airbox is a BASTARD to remove. The plugs for the left switch pod are under the airbox.

So, today I got that switch pod installed and working. I am pretty sure the harness on the 2006 DL650 left switch pod is a bit shorter than the original 2002 DL1000 one. I rerouted it a bit and it is fine. I also added a couple of 30-40 cm long wires for a future second horn.

Then I wired up the new sideshooter LED driving lights with a rocker switch on the left handlebar just inboard of the clutch master cylinder mount. They are now independent of the high beam headlights.

I also installed the new right front turn signal. That, I think, was the last new part that needed installing to finish the after crash repairs.

Well, almost last. I want to say a BIG thank you to Rick (RichlandRick here) of AdventureTech. What a guy! I had asked him if he thought it would be OK to straighten my right side footpeg lowering plate that got a bit bent in the crash. He didn't have a lot of faith in the T6062 aluminum to be as strong as new after being bent and then bent again to straighten it. He offered to send me a new replacement plate for only the cost of shipping. It is on the way and will only take a few minutes to change when it gets here. THANK YOU RICK - ADVENTURE TECH!

Tomorrow I must put the new vacuum hoses on and then get the airbox back on before I forget how!

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
New day, more done. Today I installed the new Fiamm Freeway Blaster Low tone 72112. I didn't use a relay and it is still REALLY loud, but I don't think quite as loud and piercing as the Stebel Nautilus Compact on my Trophy. I don't know if a relay would actually make it louder because it is a pretty low amperage horn anyway. That said, it is WAY, WAY louder than the original disc style horn. I left that alone. They both sound together now. I hung it on the left lower fairing mounting bolt. I made an angled bend on the bottom of the Fiamm horn mounting bracket. With that it fits really nice with lots of clearance for the fork when turning and the front fender when the forks compress. When I extended the new horn wires from the left switch pod harness I was planning to mount the horn at the front of the frame where the fairing frame attaches. Now that I have mounted it a bit further forward, I discovered I needed another couple of inches ( 😁 ). I used a heat shrinkable butt connector crimped normally and then crimped with the non-insulated part of the crimping tool to really make the connection solid. This is how I make all my crimps. The bare terminal for the ground side I soldered on because it was a pretty small gauge wire.

·
Registered
253 Posts
They both sound together now
If I read your post correctly, you tied the new Fiamm low tone to the pre-existing disc horn circuit and switch so they both sound together and didn't use a relay. If you do some searching here, you'll find that the 6 amp Fiamm horn + the oem horn will draw too many amps for the original circuit, thus the need for the relay. You may likely pop a fuse or worse.
I went with the freeway blaster high tone, a marked improvement over the oem disc. I'm curious what happens if you don't do the relay however. I left the disc horn in place but bypassed the wiring.

·
Registered
2020 DL 650X, 2018 CRF250L
14 Posts
e
Those are Wolfman bags no? Your post says Nelson Rigg.
Very good catch eagle eyes. Yes they are Wolfman Enduro bags, E12 I believe. Excellent for day rides and errands. They fold down nice and flat when empty and don't require racks as they mount pretty far forward. Don't even know they are there. The black and gold color match is a bonus.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
72112. I didn't use a relay and it is still REALLY loud, but I don't think quite as loud and piercing as the Stebel Nautilus Compact on my Trophy. I don't know if a relay would actually make it louder because it is a pretty low amperage horn anyway. That said, it is WAY, WAY louder than the original disc style horn. I left that alone. They both sound togethe
may not be as loud but has the advantage of being way more compact than my Stebel Nautilus. That is a CHUNKY boi, there was barely room for it inside the left fairing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
New day, more done. Today I installed the new Fiamm Freeway Blaster Low tone 72112. I didn't use a relay and it is still REALLY loud, but I don't think quite as loud and piercing as the Stebel Nautilus Compact on my Trophy. I don't know if a relay would actually make it louder because it is a pretty low amperage horn anyway. That said, it is WAY, WAY louder than the original disc style horn. I left that alone. They both sound together now. I hung it on the left lower fairing mounting bolt. I made an angled bend on the bottom of the Fiamm horn mounting bracket. With that it fits really nice with lots of clearance for the fork when turning and the front fender when the forks compress. When I extended the new horn wires from the left switch pod harness I was planning to mount the horn at the front of the frame where the fairing frame attaches. Now that I have mounted it a bit further forward, I discovered I needed another couple of inches ( 😁 ). I used a heat shrinkable butt connector crimped normally and then crimped with the non-insulated part of the crimping tool to really make the connection solid. This is how I make all my crimps. The bare terminal for the ground side I soldered on because it was a pretty small gauge wire.
The relay will not affect horn loudness, but it will protect your horn switch, which seems to be the weak link on that circuit. Even if it doesn't blow the fuse, it could burn out the switch, sooner than later. Add a relay and the switch should last forever!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The relay will not affect horn loudness, but it will protect your horn switch, which seems to be the weak link on that circuit. Even if it doesn't blow the fuse, it could burn out the switch, sooner than later. Add a relay and the switch should last forever!
Will do. Thanks guys.

4681 - 4698 of 4698 Posts