StromTrooper banner

4661 - 4680 of 4690 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
My wheels have the average amount of dings for an 8 year old bike, but I know for sure that my leaky Shinko rear tire is due to my noob attempt to do the tire installation myself. The bead is definitely damaged and it loses about a pound a day. So it might be the tire, not the wheel?

I went ahead and used the Shinko up anyway, this past Summer, and can't wait to install my new Mitas E-07 rear, to match the front. And i guess then I'll find out if the wheel itself has problems, too.
If you messed up the bead on a Shinko due to poor technique, be aware that the Mitas has a much stiffer sidewall than the Shinko (from what I hear); might be a bit tougher of an install.

I'll find out soon when I help my buddy Joe install his Mitas E-07. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sure, it could be the tire, or the stem.

The tire was pretty much brand new though, it's 2018 production and looked like it had never been ridden on.

I'll keep checking.
The stem stands out for me as the likely source. For now, check to see if the two nuts are tight. Check the condition, tightness and overall operation of the valve core, there maybe corrosion or dust in there keeping it from sealing.

If all those things are satisfactory it could be the valve stem grommet on the inside of the rim.
Good winter project!

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
Yes, it does seem the stem is the most likely suspect.

Small problem with investigating that - tire's in the way of having a look at the inner side.

I plan to swap that stem with a (brand new) 90° one, like the one I have on the rear wheel. But, it'll have to wait until the next tire change. Or maybe not. I'm getting tired of topping off the tire, and of dealing with the conventional stem.

·
Registered
790 Posts
"...The tire was pretty much brand new though... it looked like it had never been ridden on..."
Are you saying it is a used tire, not a "sticker" brand new one? If so It may have a defect in the bead and possibly the original purchaser returned it for the same problems you are having.
In any case, follow @brutalguyracing's above advice. Best if you can/care to submerge the wheel in a large tub up to where the valve stem is covered, and rotate it slowly looking for bubbles.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
Used only in the sense that it was mounted on a used wheel.

Tire looked as if it never touched pavement.

Soapy water on the valve stem showed nothing. Any further investigation would require taking the wheel off the bike, not ready to do that just yet.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you messed up the bead on a Shinko due to poor technique, be aware that the Mitas has a much stiffer sidewall than the Shinko (from what I hear); might be a bit tougher of an install.

I'll find out soon when I help my buddy Joe install his Mitas E-07. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Oh yea, this will actually be my 3rd E-07 Dakar rear on this bike. Definitely a stiff tire. I just thought I'd give the Shinko a try, and it was about half the price of the Mitas. Then I got really crazy thinking I'd save money by changing my own tires. :ROFLMAO: Next time, I'll pay the $35 and save myself a lot of time and trouble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New member to the site. which was recommended to me by Bill Francis.

Bought a used '17 650 XT a few weeks ago with 3800 mi. Has factory bags, small Givi knock-off topcase, Givi crash bars (already "broken in" if you know what I mean) and pre-scuffed factory saddlebags. Really like the bike and am starting to make it mine. Spent the last week installing mostly electronic farkles. Here's the list from round one:

Tank ring for SW Moto tank bag mount
Bikemaster heated grips
Vstrom OEM handshields
Shorty CNC machined control levers
zumo 590 GPS mount
Dual channel heated gear controller
Phone RAM mount
USB power jack
Valentine One radar detector mount
GPS/Radar detector Bluetooth audio interface.

Took lots of pics, am in the process of doing a write-up and will post here later.

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
VP, Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA)
Dayton MC life member
AMA life member

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
Before I take the wheel off or try to give it a bath in-situ, I'm going to try replacing the tire's valve core.

I have a couple of valve cores on my car tires that need replacing anyway. Tool and a pack of cores was $4. Done, tire pumped back up, we'll see whether the pressure goes down overnight

If she's still leaking it's time to give the wheel a bath.

·
Registered
306 Posts
New member to the site. which was recommended to me by Bill Francis.

Bought a used '17 650 XT a few weeks ago with 3800 mi. Has factory bags, small Givi knock-off topcase, Givi crash bars (already "broken in" if you know what I mean) and pre-scuffed factory saddlebags. Really like the bike and am starting to make it mine. Spent the last week installing mostly electronic farkles. Here's the list from round one:

Tank ring for SW Moto tank bag mount
Bikemaster heated grips
Vstrom OEM handshields
Shorty CNC machined control levers
zumo 590 GPS mount
Dual channel heated gear controller
Phone RAM mount
USB power jack
Valentine One radar detector mount
GPS/Radar detector Bluetooth audio interface.

Took lots of pics, am in the process of doing a write-up and will post here later.

Norm Kern
Dayton, OH
VP, Motorcycle Sport Touring Association (MSTA)
Dayton MC life member
AMA life member
Hi Norm, welcome! I have bumped into an MSTA group several times down in Marietta, OH. Your state sure has a lot of great riding to offer! Wayne NF and now Shawnee SF are two of my favorite "long weekend" destinations. Hope you enjoy the bike!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
All else failing, I gave the wheel a bath.

Pretty sure I found the source of the leaks:

See those tiny bubbles, coming from where the rim meets the tire?

I guess it's leaking at the bead, then. FWIW, pressure loss was about 0.8 psi over 12 hours (pumped up last night, measured this morning, corrected for temperature by using rear tire as reference).

How does one fix this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Norm, welcome! I have bumped into an MSTA group several times down in Marietta, OH. Your state sure has a lot of great riding to offer! Wayne NF and now Shawnee SF are two of my favorite "long weekend" destinations. Hope you enjoy the bike!
Thanks!
Perhaps we have met. :) I am event coordinator for MSTA FlyBy Week, a sport touring rally held in Marietta, Ohio, the last week of August every year. Dates for 2021 are Mon-Sun August 23-29. Check out the event website at MSTA Fly-By Week Home
It will be updated with 2021 information on Jan 1.
We have 25 GPS routes to choose from- over 4000 miles of roads in Ohio and West Virginia including five adventure routes. You can browse the 2020 routes on the EZ Route Selector page at EZ Route Selector

Norm Kern

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts

I guess it's leaking at the bead, then. FWIW, pressure loss was about 0.8 psi over 12 hours (pumped up last night, measured this morning, corrected for temperature by using rear tire as reference).

How does one fix this?
Break the beak. get a rag in there with some soapy water and clean up the rim/tire bead and pump it back up. Could be as simple as some sand or other debris that got in there when the tire was mounted.

·
Registered
919 Posts

How does one fix this?
Could be a bit of corrosion on the rim. That is pretty common and easily fixed, just pop the tire off and clean up the corrosion with some emery paper. If you don't want to go to that effort you could try to slime the tire and see if that seals it.

Reactions: om28

·
Registered
790 Posts
Break the beak. get a rag in there with some soapy water and clean up the rim/tire bead and pump it back up. Could be as simple as some sand or other debris that got in there when the tire was mounted.
With the bead broken, carefully run your finger along the inside edge of the rim where the leak is and check for nicks or burrs that may have happened during mounting. Could be sharp enough to cut your finger- tetnus shot up to date?

Reactions: WildDoktor

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Could be a bit of corrosion on the rim. That is pretty common and easily fixed, just pop the tire off and clean up the corrosion with some emery paper. If you don't want to go to that effort you could try to slime the tire and see if that seals it.
Just did this to my truck tires that had slow leaks. Broke the bead and cleaned up with sandpaper followed with alcohol on a rag. Just to be safe I used bead sealant, but this isn't really necessary, fixed the problem.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
I went the "break bead and clean out bead area with soapy water" route.

More accurately, had it done at a shop. They are way better set up for this stuff than I am at home. I did try to break the bead myself, first. After most of an hour struggling with a G clamp and some wood, I decided this was a job for those with the proper tools. Best $25 I spent all day.

Had them install a 90° valve stem as well.

Can't say for sure whether the slow leak is solved. I'll only know after checking the pressure for a few days. But, I did dip the wheel in the bath tub again when I got home. No more little bubbles coming up as in previous photo.

update: yep, she held air overnight, problem solved.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,679 Posts
Lubed the side stand pivot on my SO's new-to-her, 2004 DL650. It's much easier to stow and deploy now.

Great bike. I'm not technically a DL650 owner but I have now logged a few hours on one. I can see why people like the smaller model so much.

It came with nice Givi Monkey luggage and we're adding crash bars on Tuesday.

4661 - 4680 of 4690 Posts