StromTrooper banner

4641 - 4649 of 4649 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,574 Posts
I thought hard about selling my 2007 Vee & buying something newer, when I had to replace the front wheel recently.

A new front wheel would have been quite expensive. $600-$1000 range, depending on where I got my parts & how much of the labor I could do myself.

I was thinking seriously about using the bike as a trade-in on a newer model. Some dealer may have been willing to take the unicycle off my hands. I doubt I could have sold it in the private market as more than a parts bike, although everything else (aside from the destroyed front wheel) was in great shape.

Good news is, I got very lucky & snagged a used wheel off eBay for around $300. It came with a nearly-new Shinko on it, which I'll happily ride as long as it lasts.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Time will tell. At least it runs well enough to sell it!
This is usually my problem. I can't bring myself to sell a bike that I could get way more for with a couple hours work. After that couple hours work, I remember why I like the bike and talk myself out of selling it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have a line on a 2015 Tiger XC with 3500 miles on it. Has most of the goodies I would want. I can probably get it for $6,000 or less. Just scared of all the electronics.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
64 Posts
synced the secondary throttle bodies. Hadn't done that since I got the 07-1000 back in 2011 (used with 1,200 miles on it)

·
Registered
64 Posts
This may or may not be helpful, but a couple of years ago, I found that my stator mounting screws were a bit loose.

What alerted me to this was a strange buzzing/rattling sound I could hear at idle.

It seemed to go away at speed, but maybe it was just covered up by the louder engine noise.

I have a recording of the sound somewhere if you'd like to hear it.

After ruling out all other possible causes, I opened the stator cover. The 3 mounting screws were backed out enough that the stator could rattle. Fortunately, it wasn't loose enough to collide with the rotor magnets, and power generation wasn't affected.

Not sure how that happened. I had last opened the stator cover for a stator swap about 9-10 months prior. When installing the rewound stator back then, I thought I tightened the 3 mounting screws enough. Apparently not though, because here they were loose, several thousand miles later.

I applied blue Loctite to and re-tightened the 3 screws. It's 2 years later and they haven't come loose again.
Thanks for the follow-up DesertBike, I actually didn't check that when I was in there but didn't notice any rattling when I had it off. I found one of the magnets had come off sometime last year and repaired the magnet and had to replace the stator because I would guess the loose magnet had it the stator coils there was a burn mark on the coil and the bike stopped charging. I am going to make a post about what I have done to find the source of the vibration tonight.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Slapped on some Mitas E-07s a couple weeks ago and broke them in on the Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway. They worked well on the tarmac (not as good as the prior Anakee IIIs) in the rain. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take them off road where I think they will be much better than their predecessors.

4641 - 4649 of 4649 Posts