StromTrooper banner

4401 - 4420 of 4421 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Installed a new bar, a Renthal Street bar medium. The OEM bar looks like it may have been tweeked at some point in the last seven years.
IMG_20200729_135131.jpg

IMG_20200729_121037.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I fitted panniers. Budget: AU$700 (Suzuki ones are about $1200) but you can get after market ones for around $700. Expenditure so far $24 for a 1m piece of aluminium angle iron & a few bolts. My sister gave me the mini suit cases. They're the perfect size & hard plastic (not cardboard). They came from a 2nd hand shop
v-strom-pannier.jpg
. $13 for a can of black spray paint is a bit of an indulgence but what the hell. Smugness factor high.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What brand is air seat and how do you like it? Does it eliminate numbness?
Was going to go with the Air Hawk, but I figured I try a low cost version first to see if it helps to eliminate the vibs I was feeling in the standard seat. I live in a small town with plenty of back roads that are not very well paved, now I was only gone for 20 mins but I purposely drove my bike in 4th gear between 4500-6000 rpm (where I feel the most vibs) and made no attempts to avoid potholes. It was an odd feeling at first sitting on a pocket of air. You tend to move around more in the saddle as you weight shifts on the small pockets. But I can honestly say that I could not feel the vibs in the seat (yes eliminated) and I was amazed how comfortable it was going over a rough section of road. The downside is it adds 1/2 inch to the seat height and at 5'.7" it means I am on my tippy toes. (I did order an Adventure Tech lowering link 7/8" and will share my thoughts after I get them installed.)

Here is the link to the air seat I purchased on Amazon.ca Wehope Sport Motorcycle Cruiser Seat Air Cushion Pad Fits Most Seats of Sport Touring, 11" L x 11" W, Accessories - Amazon Canada

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice! I think I might need up and back risers. Did you have any difficulty with the cables being too short?
I did have to cut the zip ties holding the left switch housing controls wiring on the bar and lower down where its connected to the clutch cable. The other thing I did was rotate the handle bars up and back slightly to create more slack. It's tight when I turn the handlebars full lock to the right but should be fine. The benefit is I am not leaning forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Was going to go with the Air Hawk, but I figured I try a low cost version first to see if it helps to eliminate the vibs I was feeling in the standard seat. I live in a small town with plenty of back roads that are not very well paved, now I was only gone for 20 mins but I purposely drove my bike in 4th gear between 4500-6000 rpm (where I feel the most vibs) and made no attempts to avoid potholes. It was an odd feeling at first sitting on a pocket of air. You tend to move around more in the saddle as you weight shifts on the small pockets. But I can honestly say that I could not feel the vibs in the seat (yes eliminated) and I was amazed how comfortable it was going over a rough section of road. The downside is it adds 1/2 inch to the seat height and at 5'.7" it means I am on my tippy toes. (I did order an Adventure Tech lowering link 7/8" and will share my thoughts after I get them installed.)

Here is the link to the air seat I purchased on Amazon.ca Wehope Sport Motorcycle Cruiser Seat Air Cushion Pad Fits Most Seats of Sport Touring, 11" L x 11" W, Accessories - Amazon Canada

This is the air cushion that I bought for my Honda VTX 1300 and it worked well. I tried it on my new 650XT today for a bit and I'll have to fiddle with the air pressure to get the right mix but it fits well. It comes with a hand pump to achieve the desired level of air cushioning. They even include a little water pump to fill the seat with water should that be your choice, though I don't think that would be a good idea long-term. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQBJYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is the air cushion that I bought for my Honda VTX 1300 and it worked well. I tried it on my new 650XT today for a bit and I'll have to fiddle with the air pressure to get the right mix but it fits well. It comes with a hand pump to achieve the desired level of air cushioning. They even include a little water pump to fill the seat with water should that be your choice, though I don't think that would be a good idea long-term. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJQBJYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought that one as well as my airhawk sprung a very tiny leak. I found on a very long ride (450 miles) it didn't perform as well as the original. And I also found the seat just too narrow for my taste. But I've heard that you need to switch out an air pad and a gel pad and something like lamb skin every fill up if you want to relieve pain.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Thanks Focus - my issue is I get numb/sore after a while. I'm sure an after-market seat would cure it but it's such a gamble to spend $$ and not have a test ride first.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
Got the sticky clutch issue sorted - mostly.

There was debris lodged in the upper banjo bolt. Swapped with OE banjo bolts, fluid refilled & bled, problem solved for now.

Going to rebuild the MC, once parts get here. Jury's still out but I suspect something inside the MC was shedding rubber. I don't know how else you get debris inside the upper BB but not the lower one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Focus - my issue is I get numb/sore after a while. I'm sure an after-market seat would cure it but it's such a gamble to spend $$ and not have a test ride first.
I'm gonna try the low seat option along with the air seat to see if I can get my feet closer to the ground.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oil change!
Learned how to get a stuck crush washer off the drain bolt
Motul 300v 10w40
OEM filter
Loving the fact I don't have to wrestle with fairings to do maintenance

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a bath! And moved it from outbuilding to another.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
Just a bath! And moved it from outbuilding to another.
What do you use to clean the wheels?

I seem to have a hell of a time getting them truly clean. Dust accumulates from unpaved rods, and it seems to stick like glue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sticking to the chain lube? First, I use a dry silicon chain lube where I have less of that problem. Then good ol' automotive brake cleaner. Be careful and wash it off afterward so you don't mess up the paint!

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
What do you use to clean the wheels?

I seem to have a hell of a time getting them truly clean. Dust accumulates from unpaved rods, and it seems to stick like glue.
Try this stuff. Makes short work of the MC wheels. I bought it originally for my wifes Audi because the stock pads would just coat everything in brake dust.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,228 Posts
Interesting. I've tried Meguiar's car wash, but it doesn't quite do the job.

4401 - 4420 of 4421 Posts