StromTrooper banner

3821 - 3840 of 3858 Posts

·
Administrator
13,207 Posts
I had a fork seal leak yesterday on my 2015 DL1000.. (Cheap crap getting a fork seal leak with only 217,700+ km /135,200+ miles! ) )

Today I cleaned the seal using my Sealmate and problem is fixed.

This is actually way better than my experience with my two DL650's. Not sure offhand when I cleaned the fork seals on them but think it was in the first 100,000 km. I think the better protection of the Upside-down forks by the extended front fender helped keep the worst of the crap off the fork.

..Tom

·
Registered
514 Posts
Did a full systems test and practiced social distancing by going for a lunchtime ride. All systems: go!

It's so nice to have a bike I can actually ride again!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
First Oil change since bike purchase 6 months ago.
Quick stop at Suzuki dealer for filter and oil, They were glad to have a customer walk in

Oil change was sooper easy, watched a youtube and read forum tips.

Oil change is probably one of the main reasons why I sold my bmw f and made the leap to VStrom

Everyone should make it that easy

Although I know some work ahead with air filter and plugs

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Replaced rear Battlewing (over 14K miles) and while I was at it replaced the cush drive rubbers. The sprocket assembly fell easily out of the hub, and after 11 years and 84K miles I figured it was time. Didn't notice any smoother operation, maybe could have held out a while longer.

·
Premium Member
2,828 Posts
.......... while I was at it replaced the cush drive rubbers. The sprocket assembly fell easily out of the hub, and after 11 years and 84K miles I figured it was time. Didn't notice any smoother operation, maybe could have held out a while longer.
Good work, om28...........even tho the rubber cushions appeared "normal", they could have been allowing "chain snatch", ever so lightly, which I would think causes undue stress on the chain, and maybe the sprockets??

·
Registered
12 Posts
2006 Vee - Sent my clutch basket to Werks in December, finally put it all back together, did the JB Weld bridge to my stator magnets although none were out of place. Synced the throttle bodies too and found a mouse had made a winter home in the air box! full of wood shavings and bits of grass and plastic. The bike is running well but we still have snow so I have to wait to see the effects of the rebuilt clutch basket. So, new oil and filter, new clutch fluid, new antifreeze, Hopefully no more unwanted vibrations Can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Went for a ride on Thursday and Friday mornings. Around 120 miles total. Weather was nice then. Played around with my 5k IAT pot. Leaner seemed to make it pull harder. Filled it up with 91 octane non oxy fuel.

Removed the lower cowling and cleaned up a bit. Removed oil filter and checked the condition of the oil. May put the new chain I have on it.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
I bought pads for the front brakes last summer, only to realize I had plenty of life left on the existing pads.

I think I'll swap 'em out anyways. It's been a few thousand miles, and while I'm not completely to the bottom of the wear-indicating grooves on the old pads, I'm getting close.

·
Registered
467 Posts
2002 DL1000, 54000km service, so oil, oil filter, coolant, DOT-4 all around, brake disks and pads, adjusted the chain, lubricated all hinge points, the usual. I also replaced the O-rings (P/N 09280-18009) in the coolant connectors. And this:

My headlights started to become intermittent over the last few months. Thinking it was the one of the handlebar switches, I had already taken both (*) apart to clean the contacts. Did not help. Spent hours pouring over the wiring diagram and measuring things. Funny thing was, when I disconnected both lamps I got a perfect 12V at the lamp connectors. As soon as I connected one lamp, the voltage dropped to essentially zero across the connector, and the lamp did not light up. So I knew there must be a massive resistance somewhere in the circuit. Tore into the bike more and more, and eventually found that both connectors where the handlebar looms connects to the main wiring harness (behind the radiator), had some charring on that yellow-white wire. So out of some other wire and two waterproof connectors I had lying around, fashioned a bypass for that yellow-white wire. I now have headlights again. (And am about to order the Eastern Beaver relay kit, or alternatively thinking of switching to LED H4s if I can get them here.)

Oh, and I tried to do the fuel filter bypass but found that Amazon sent me the wrong fuel hose. Going to scrounge some tomorrow at the local auto parts store.

(*) E-19/Euro spec bike, so a light switch on the RHS as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Changed the rear tire!

Back story: About a month ago I was kinda thinking about tires. The bike wasn't running yet but it was getting close, and I knew my tires weren't going to last but maybe another 100 miles or so. Within a couple of days of thinking that, I discovered a guy giving away a used set of tires that fit (thank You Lord!), so I snagged them both for $42 (cost of shipping). I got a used Shinko 805 rear with 40%, maybe 50% tread left, and a used Shinko 705 front with about ~4k miles on it.

I changed out the front a couple weeks ago, learning the value of soapy water, zip ties, and tire irons...and a few other lessons (my first time swapping a street tire! I swapped tires on my CR500 about 12 years ago, once...never again I said!), and the difference on the dirt between a bald trailwing and a decent 705 front is night and day. :) I love being able to actually trust my front tire in the dirt!

Tonight, I tackled the rear. It took me 5 hours from walking into the garage to walking out of the garage. Learned a few things tonight, too. :) I'm gonna be sore in the morning, that's for sure.

But, it's now installed, balanced, and holds air, so I'm looking forward to trying it out!

A few pics from tonight.

Tools of the trade: used tire, new tire irons, long zip ties, wood blocks to keep the brake rotor off the ground. Not shown is the soapy water!

Yep...she's pretty much used up!

Mounted, balanced, and holding air...and eagerly awaiting the first adventure!

Oh; I also discovered this. The little backing plate that's supposed to go in the fender is gone, so there's nothing to screw into. Zip ties to the rescue!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
That'll work for a bit, but a zip tie isn't going to hold that brake line in place for long.

I no longer have the stock brake lines, but I kept most of the hardware when I upgraded to stainless lines last year. I'll see if I still have the threaded metal piece that goes inside the fender, so you can secure your front brake line "T" properly. If the bolt is also lost, I might be able to help you there too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oh wow, thanks @DesertBike!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
514 Posts
Finally mounted up a skidplate I bought from a person here over a year ago! Testing out a custom mounting system (Lowes)...we'll see if it holds. :) Also updated the map on my PCIII; I'm going to try a few different ones to see if I can get some better mileage (better than 32) and make it smell less like an old Chevy pickup.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,706 Posts
Oh wow, thanks @DesertBike!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Lucky you, I did still have the bolt and threaded retainer (nut?) from the right side of the fender.

They weren't needed for my new brake line setup, since it doesn't have a junction block like the original lines:

But I kept the hardware just in case.

This fender rash seems to be inevitable if you go to aftermarket brake lines.

I re-used the "hook" on the left side, but I don't think it does much.

Anyway, PM me and we'll figure out the shipping. I think a small padded envelope via USPS might work, but I have to check.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Added a zip tie to hold the clutch switch plug in place. Bike wouldn't start-while out n about, checked almost everything-nuthing, bump started it, went home, checked here, found clutch switch-disconnected!!! (never knew that sucker was there, now I do...)
Zip tie should prevent re-occurrence

·
Registered
576 Posts
Also updated the map on my PCIII; I'm going to try a few different ones to see if I can get some better mileage (better than 32) and make it smell less like an old Chevy pickup.
Yeah, some of those maps do go too rich for my liking. I have been tweaking my chosen map for my 2002 to give me better fuel mileage on the highway without sacrificing power for accelerating and passing. I'm at 45 mpg (Imperial) on the highway now (37.5 mpg US) which gets me over my target tank range of 300 kms by a pretty good margin. I can do more tweaking and get a few more mpg's, but I'm ok with it now.

Also, I set the enrichment at 0 below 2000 RPM and 2% throttle to get quicker cold starting. Counter-intuitive, but it works.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
514 Posts
This evening was glorious, sunny and 55F, so I tested out the OMG custom map that I loaded into the pciii last night by doing a 60 mile loop with a combo of freeway, high-speed back road sweepers, and tight twisties. My conclusions, compared to the BigB_v2 map, are that the bike ran pretty poorly, was low on power, and mpg didn't improve any. "But that's what these tests are for!" (what movie and character?). No worries at all; I'm just gonna keep loading maps until something gets me close, then start tweaking it.

In that vein, I plugged in tonight after my ride to try another map, and I discovered that the accel pump feature of the pciii wasn't enabled. I enabled it and decided to re-load the BigB_v2 map (since that's what I've been running and am kind of used to it), and then I set the accel pump to the settings in the notes. I'll burn some more gas tomorrow and see what difference (if any) it makes. Can't wait!

I also got to test out the half used up shinko 805 rear tire. As a disclaimer, I totally understand that it's an entirely different tire than the trailwing I just removed. :) So I expected it to feel and perform differently on the street, and it did. For tomorrow's ride I'll pump it up from 36 to 40 and see if that changes anything. I'll leave the half used up shinko 705 front set at 36 for consistancy.

Bonus: my redneck skid plate hanger install didn't loosen up! I put a jack under it tonight and lifted the front tire with no problems; the skid plate didn't move or make any funny noises, so I call that a win...and I figure that means it'll probably hold up while rolling over baby heads now and then. To be tested at a later date!

Man. It's such a blessing to be able to do little tweaks and then go ride, as opposed to doing hours of major surgery and then the thing still isn't ridable! :) I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, in case you couldn't guess!

·
Registered
576 Posts
This evening was glorious, sunny and 55F, so I tested out the OMG custom map that I loaded into the pciii last night by doing a 60 mile loop with a combo of freeway, high-speed back road sweepers, and tight twisties. My conclusions, compared to the BigB_v2 map, are that the bike ran pretty poorly, was low on power, and mpg didn't improve any. "But that's what these tests are for!" (what movie and character?). No worries at all; I'm just gonna keep loading maps until something gets me close, then start tweaking it.

In that vein, I plugged in tonight after my ride to try another map, and I discovered that the accel pump feature of the pciii wasn't enabled. I enabled it and decided to re-load the BigB_v2 map (since that's what I've been running and am kind of used to it), and then I set the accel pump to the settings in the notes. I'll burn some more gas tomorrow and see what difference (if any) it makes. Can't wait!

I also got to test out the half used up shinko 805 rear tire. As a disclaimer, I totally understand that it's an entirely different tire than the trailwing I just removed. :) So I expected it to feel and perform differently on the street, and it did. For tomorrow's ride I'll pump it up from 36 to 40 and see if that changes anything. I'll leave the half used up shinko 705 front set at 36 for consistancy.

Bonus: my redneck skid plate hanger install didn't loosen up! I put a jack under it tonight and lifted the front tire with no problems; the skid plate didn't move or make any funny noises, so I call that a win...and I figure that means it'll probably hold up while rolling over baby heads now and then. To be tested at a later date!

Man. It's such a blessing to be able to do little tweaks and then go ride, as opposed to doing hours of major surgery and then the thing still isn't ridable! :) I'm thoroughly enjoying myself, in case you couldn't guess!
About the 805 rear tire - most people find it works best at 33 psi and higher pressures are noticeably negative. I run 33 in mine- front and rear. I like it, a lot.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
514 Posts
About the 805 rear tire - most people find it works best at 33 psi and higher pressures are noticeably negative. I run 33 in mine- front and rear. I like it, a lot.
Wow; I hadn't heard that. You're talking about "on the street" PSI? Seems counter-intuitive since 36 felt squishy already, but if going up to 40 feels worse, I'll drop down to 33 and see how that feels. Might as well experiment!

3821 - 3840 of 3858 Posts