StromTrooper banner

3801 - 3820 of 3833 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Valves on the 1000. Gave myself plenty of time and a nice working environment (Temps around 30c, humidity ~90% so A/C was a must). Stripped all the plastics late Saturday and most of Sunday to do the rest. Would take less time doing it again, but this was a first on a DL1000 for me so I was taking my time.

The only detail I missed was that the 1000 is different to the 650 here. With the 1000 the radiator must come off, if you resign yourself to doing that early it'd be a lot faster. Easy enough anyway apart from not getting coolant all over the lounge floor.

Wife also rides ;).

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I didn't say I didn't spill any coolant, just that none ended up on the lounge floor. Blue tarp was new and waterproof and an old towel dealt with the gaps.

I do have one concern though, I had an audience, the local Cockatoo's kept flying down to see WTF was going down. I'm not happy that the feathered mafia presumably now know how to disassemble my bike.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you've figured out a way to drain coolant without spilling any, I envy you. As far as I know, it's impossible.
I guess I figured it out. I use an old flower vase which I hold up horizontally to catch the fluid as it shoots out and slowly turn it vertically as the flow slows down. It looks like this one.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,691 Posts
I would be reluctant to use a glass vessel in the garage - knowing me, it would end up in a mess of coolant and glass shards on the concrete floor.

However point taken. I've tried to use funnels to catch the initial gush when you disconnect one of the pipes to the radiator, without much success. One needs a vessel of correct shape & sufficient capacity.

Fortunately, since I got done replacing literally every piece of rubber in the cooling system, I have had zero leaks & no reason to mess with the system.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Today was continuing of the Farkle session from a few days ago. Instilled Bike Master Heated Grips to Wee III. As soon as my parts come from Addmore Lighting I can finish up the lighting project on the E460 top box and the bike should be complete.

View attachment 269609 View attachment 269610 View attachment 269611
Uh huh, sure it will be... ?
Well, WildDocktor was correct. Yesterday I found myself Farkling again after a week break. I should have known, after all the bikes that I haved owned, that Farkling is a never ending process. I installed a 12 volt power socket on the left side of the dash and a USB/Voltmeter on the right side of the dash. Measurements were critical for this install, for there is very little room behind the panel. I even surprised myself with my measuring, as normally, I can measure 5 times and still cut it too short.

SAM_5082.JPG
SAM_5083.JPG

·
Registered
882 Posts
Installed a fresh Rubber Doughnut. Metzler Tourance EXP. Now I can pass my state inspection.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Interesting bike stand!
Never seen that one before.
Mike
It's made by Bike-Lift an Itialian company. It's an FS11 like shown below. I use the pin for the steering head bearing area. The video below is of the sport version. I picked it up an Craigs List of all places.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Changed oil/filter and air filter. Also had my 9yo son help change the oil on the 50cc pit bike.

To change the air filter, I had to remove the skid plate, plastics and tank... I like the look without the plastics... hmmm...

After a week riding in the Rockies last fall, the skid plate could use some TLC. There are 3 cracks that need to be welded.

Found a surprise- I have a progressive shock
I’ll be setting sag and general adjustments.

Also found some damage to my front tire, it is about 1-2mm deep. Looks like time for a new tire. This tire lasted from MN to Alaska and back, then out to Colorado and back plus a few weekend camping trips around town.

Finished up the weekend making maple syrup.

Next up- track down an electric gremlin that happens when I grip hard with my legs riding off road.

Has anyone ever mounted low shorty exhausts on their VStrom before? Thinking about a new look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
Did the rear wheel alignment. Turns out the marks are perfect.

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Delkevic exhaust turned up yesterday (thanks Joe from Delkevic Australia!)
Fitted link pipe and can so I could get some measurements for drilling and welding wideband O2 bung into main pipe.
I might also have fired her up with the new end can on and exhaust valve set at full open just to hear the sound 😎👍👍

3801 - 3820 of 3833 Posts