StromTrooper banner

3781 - 3800 of 4134 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
FYI, basically all motorcycle (and car) headlights will turn off when starting. All available power is essentially "diverted" to the starter to aid with turning over the engine.

·
Registered
931 Posts
FYI, basically all motorcycle (and car) headlights will turn off when starting. All available power is essentially "diverted" to the starter to aid with turning over the engine.
Well, yes, sort of. However, in this case the 2005 and newer have a mechanical disconnect when the engine is cranking. 2002-2004 don't. My triumph has a load dump relay - so another mechanical system to serve that purpose.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
582 Posts
Spent all day yesterday working on it, and bolted up enough stuff (no windshield, plastics, crash bars, or bash plate) to do a test run this morning.

This morning: did 2 test runs!! She Lives!!!

1st test run: suspension seems a bit strange; doesn't turn like it should. Verdict: 13psi rear, 9psi front! Yeah; that would make things seem wierd. :)
2nd test run: tires aired up properly; there's the bike I remember! Strong motor, good suspension, a friend following me on his bike and not getting hit with stuff falling off my bike. 20 minutes slow, fast, mild twisties. All Good!!
Got home and parked...now have a drip from somewhere behind the sprocket cover. Most likely the clutch pushrod seal or sprocket seal.
Nuts. :-/
Time to tear back into it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Overall an incredible success. Hopefully the leak is the pushrod seal. Either flipping the pushrod around end over end to get unmolested surface for the seal OR putting heatshrink on the pushrod where it slides through the seal will hopefully sort that out.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
582 Posts
Panic averted! It was simply the new chain "goo" that had warmed up, flung off, and pooled up under the sprocket. Then ran down by the shifter. Whew!

Back to the puzzle that is the front fairing, already in progress...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Installed new air filter and took the 650 out for the first ride of the year, 50 degrees!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,930 Posts
Lubed the chain. Normally wouldn't mention something so boring but it's now been more than a month since I had to do anything more complicated, and nothing is leaking. Haven't been able to say that for a while!

I'm planning to treat myself to that Werks clutch basket thingy later in the year - or maybe even next winter, when I won't mind as much parking the bike for a few days to do the job.

Depends on the employment situation, which is looking a little tenuous at the moment. Eep.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Removed the stator cover and replaced the gasket with a barley used OEM version. Changed the oil...accidentally bought dino instead of synth and the wrong filter! Didn't realize it until I started pouring oil into the filter, so now I can't even return them. sigh So, I'm running dino and a barley used filter for the next 5k miles or so. :)

Also disassembled the clutch slave and cleaned it up, in case that's what's leaking. Filled it and bled it.

Going for a ride now to see if I stopped the leak.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
619 Posts
Been busy since Valentine's Day:
  • Olympia Richmond Jacket (discontinued closeout, like it so far, took a six mile/10km walk at 19ºF/-7ºC light wind. Took a 2mi/3.5km check ride after oil change/spring ck up
  • AlpineStars Campeche Drystar boots- Stylin' brown.
  • Scorpion Yukon pants- integrated waterproofing, (I'm the guy that passes up several shelter opportunities with imminent rain so I can park out in the open and put my rainsuit on over my soaked clothes) Thru-to-the-legs venting. My first textile moto-pants.
  • Installed Supernova LED hi & lo beam headlights compact fan* design 36W 4000 lumens each. Fit with the rear housing cover on, but needed to cut a small notch for the attached can-bus controller line. They will ship single bulbs.
* Video the hum is the hi beam fan
  • Superbright LEDs all around for the rest of the lighting, incl lic plate and city light. Also ordered two #1157 sockets to convert front turn signals to turn+marker lights
  • Oxford Heaterz grips- made too many snowballs as a kid and too much wrenching on my first few cars bare-handed in the cold. Now my fingers numb easily. I've got a sizable collection of can koozies.
  • Next: Big Brown Truck brought my rear Dunlop Trailmax Mission tire, Front scheduled for delivery tomorrow.
  • Try out my new Motion Pro Bead Pro Bead Breaker
UPDATE:
Got the rear tire replaced, balanced installed on the bike, adjusted chain, torqued axle nut. Big Brown Truck delivered front tire. Why is there a right side spacer laying on my workbench? aarrgghh :mad:

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Bought some 5k pots off of fleabay and wired one into my IAT sensor. Going to see if it works as a rich lean adjuster for performance. It does trip a -C21 code at short position, but not in 4.8k ohm position (rich). Factory spec is 2.68k ohms at 68 degrees IAT temp. Like a DIY cheap power commander. Going to get tags this morning too for the L2.

Experimenting.....?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not currently at the house where my wee is, so i keep thinking of stuff I need to do for it (I've already got my GSX-S1000F about as tricked out as I want).
I've gathered a few more items that I will install when I get down to where my bike is in a couple weeks.
Anti-Gravity ATX-12-HD (the battery is seven years old and slow to start), LED bulbs, Shorty levers,and a Brake light strobe - a must have IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That Fumoto drain valve looks interesting. It might enable me to change oil without removing my skid plate. Did that specific part # fit your DL650? I assume all years have same oil plug.

Relax and have a homebrew

Autocorrect is my new enema
Kept forgetting to post pic but here it is. And yes, this is the B103sx I linked to earlier, which fit my 650 without any mods.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Raised seat up to 31" using the soupy adjustable linkages (had it lowered more before) to allow me to barely flat foot it and not scrape centerstand side peg when cornering adjacent to a slope on right.
Added this Taylor Round Mini thermometer #5830N on barkbuster metal frame, it's accurate and legible when riding
and this completely unnecessary decal. I like halloween so...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
After pulling the bike out of it's winter hibernation 2 weeks ago I discovered both forks were leaking. For some reason I had a set of Race Tech seals and bushings on hand and installed them today.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I should have washed my Wee. Instead I spent the time riding it. I will try to get that done between rides.

Cheers

RLBranson

3781 - 3800 of 4134 Posts