StromTrooper banner

3721 - 3740 of 3764 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Started it up and ran to operating temperature. Added some VP small engine fuel, finished off the gallon I got at Tractor Supply.

Was thinking of ordering the front caliper adapters so I can put my SV1000 calipers on the front. :unsure:
Love the conversion enough I did both my 650 and 1000.
Then changed later too braided lines and sintered pads on my 1000.
Big difference from stock when I rode my buddies 1000
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fumoto oil drain valve B103SX
Canyon Dancer Tie Downs for front fork
Novsight LED Headlights

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Love the conversion enough I did both my 650 and 1000.
Then changed later too braided lines and sintered pads on my 1000.
Big difference from stock when I rode my buddies 1000
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sure would like to find a second hand set or DIY my own. $85 + shipping for a few chunks of metal with 4 holes is a bit steep. The new SV comes with 4 piston calipers.

Wish the 650 had much better suspension like the 1037 does too...:(

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Yesterday and today, re-sealed some electrical connections using X-Treme Tape. It's a self-amalgamating silicone rubber product. Sturdier than electrical tape, supposedly will stand up to the elements, & won't dry out and fall off anytime soon (or maybe that's just the cheap electrical tape I was using previously).

I used it to wrap where my Eastern Beaver handlebar wiring extensions (needed due to 3.5" Rox risers) plug into the factory connectors. Those plugs and sockets are not weather-protected, and once you plug in the EB extensions they're no longer behind the radiator where they were originally (if debatably) unlikely to get wet. While it just doesn't rain that much here in the desert, I feel better knowing that dust and moisture cannot drip straight into these connections any longer.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bought a used motor yesterday! '07 with 25k miles. Cleaned it up, removed the left side cover. JBWelded the magnets, replaced the OEM stator with my Custom Rewind stator, slapped on a new gasket, and put the cover back on. Next job: valve gaps.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Popped the tops off to check the valve clearances, but couldn't find my feeler gauges (??). So I mic'd a piece of paper (.10mm), a biz card (.20mm) and a piece of plastic (.30mm). Paper fit under all intake cams, but biz card didn't. Biz card fit under all exhaust cams, but plastic didn't. Good enough for me. :)

Buttoned it up, then rerouted my throttle cables to hopefully get me a fuzz more slack at full lock.

Then I moved the motor nearer to it's final destination.

This is getting exciting (and terrifying)!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Pulled the stator cover off and sure enough 3 f the magnets were loose. Mad a big old mess with the jb weld, we'll see if any additional cleanup is needed tommorrow.
Well, so much for that. Checked for any ridges, everything seemed fine. Put it back together and fired it up. 13.7 on the gauge and 14.2 with the multimeter. Then I heard a noise - shut it down, pulled it back apart and one of the magnets was in little pieces. On the plus side no stator damage, but I guess I'll be buying a new part and a puller to go with it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well, so much for that. Checked for any ridges, everything seemed fine. Put it back together and fired it up. 13.7 on the gauge and 14.2 with the multimeter. Then I heard a noise - shut it down, pulled it back apart and one of the magnets was in little pieces. On the plus side no stator damage, but I guess I'll be buying a new part and a puller to go with it.
Arg; bummer. :-( I'm fresh out of loose magnets, but I have a rotor with magnets/jbweld plus the removal tool, sitting on my garage floor that I can sell you...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Arg; bummer. :-( I'm fresh out of loose magnets, but I have a rotor with magnets/jbweld plus the removal tool, sitting on my garage floor...
Already ordered a new flywheel and puller. Guess I am lucky it was the vstrom and not the fz1. If it had been the fz1, I would have been on the way to the dealer to buy that mt10 I saw at the mc show Saturday. My wife is convinced that I will be buying one. Her comment on the 2020 vstrom mirrored my thoughts - yours looks better.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Bought a used motor yesterday! '07 with 25k miles. Cleaned it up, removed the left side cover. JBWelded the magnets, replaced the OEM stator with my Custom Rewind stator, slapped on a new gasket, and put the cover back on. Next job: valve gaps.
Do you have good cyl heads you want to part out? I need to rebuild mine, but i'm not sure if I want to go to the expense of rebuilding vs. swapping some used heads on.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Do you have good cyl heads you want to part out? I need to rebuild mine, but i'm not sure if I want to go to the expense of rebuilding vs. swapping some used heads on.
Why yes...yes I do! Hit me up in a private conversation so we don't clutter this thread. :)

3721 - 3740 of 3764 Posts