StromTrooper banner

3701 - 3720 of 3764 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got a Power Commander V (not yet installed), I noticed my rear spring which my local shop sourced from Racetech is an Eibach, and I installed the Adventuretech footpeg lowering kit + gear shift relocater.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
This happened when I tried to put the bike up on the centerstand today to work on it:

I'll see about getting it welded back together. Seems likely it can be done without taking the stand off the bike.

If it can't be repaired, I guess I'm getting another center stand.

FWIW, this is a SW Motech centerstand that I installed just over 3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
This happened when I tried to put the bike up on the centerstand today to work on it:

I'll see about getting it welded back together. Seems likely it can be done without taking the stand off the bike.

Was it rubbing on something? Or is that hole some kind of mounting point.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
No, that's where the lever you use to get the bike up on the centerstand (right) attaches to the frame that actually bears the bike's weight (left).

Not surprising it broke at the point of maximum stress I suppose.

Is this kind of failure inevitable, or am I just unlucky?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
No, that's where the lever you use to get the bike up on the centerstand (right) attaches to the frame that actually bears the bike's weight (left).

Not surprising it broke at the point of maximum stress I suppose.

Is this kind of failure inevitable, or am I just unlucky?
Buy a stock stand. There is no way the one on my bike would break like that. When I was looking at darkside threads i was surprised that one of them showed having to cut a motech stand to fit the tire, which showd me that they are very different from the stock stand.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

Had the same happen on my first gen 650 a couple of years ago.
That point should be better reinforced.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Buy a stock stand. There is no way the one on my bike would break like that. When I was looking at darkside threads i was surprised that one of them showed having to cut a motech stand to fit the tire, which showd me that they are very different from the stock stand.
I have a broken 1st Gen 1000 factory stand on my shelf from a buddies bike that the brace connecting both leg as broke off.
Figure one day repair it and reinforce all connecting points for my bikes eventual replacement.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Should get the centerstand re-welded this week. It needs to come off the bike for inspection of all welds anyway.

Some have suggested adding a gusset or other reinforcement to the "elbow" where the foot lever joins the stand body. Not sure there is room for that but it's worth a look.

Sleeving may also be an option. Clearly it needs a bit of reinforcement there.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Should get the centerstand re-welded this week. It needs to come off the bike for inspection of all welds anyway.

Some have suggested adding a gusset or other reinforcement to the "elbow" where the foot lever joins the stand body. Not sure there is room for that but it's worth a look.

Sleeving may also be an option. Clearly it needs a bit of reinforcement there.
The stock stand does have a pretty large triangular gusset at that junction

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Finally got around yesterday to wiring up the GPS I bought a couple months ago. I run the USB/volt gauge off of the factory heated grip connector, so I built a tap into that circuit to power the Garmin. Only real complaint is that the wires on the garmin are so ridiculously long between the GPS and the voltage convertor box so you wind up with a big tiewrapped mess of wires to tuck away under the cowling.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,609 Posts
Centerstand is off bike and being turned over to a welding-capable friend for repairs.

When it's done, and if successful, I think I'll make a thread about it, so people don't have to dig through this one. May be useful info for others. I can't be the only one to ever have one of these fail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
3701 - 3720 of 3764 Posts