StromTrooper banner

3661 - 3680 of 3687 Posts

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Thanks, that's great!

The Enduro Guardian skid plate is pretty flexible in terms of attachment to the crash bars.

I might just do a swap. Sell the Givi bars and replace them with Heeds.

The front joint on the Givis can only go one way. It uses tabs welded on to the bar ends. The logic escapes me, but Givi has them pointed almost directly at the cylinder head.

The Givis are pristine. Of course, now that I've written that out loud, you know I'm going to drop the bike and scratch the powdercoat...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Put on a Madstad windshield. Have not tested it yet.

Update: Took the bike out today. I like the Madstad so far, more highway miles will tell.
I’m going to move the Madstad mount to the higher holes in the bike. Seems kind of low even when the windshield is all the way up. It’s a 20”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Replaced the footpeg I snapped off over Christmas.

:)

Seriously provoked, cattle grid at speed and with all the weight on that peg.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Good news and bad today.

It's been too cold to ride lately. I'm still waiting for my heated gloves to arrive. Oxford heated grips do great down to about 40°F but then it just stops being fun.

So I took the opportunity to look at a couple of things.

Good news - stator I had rebuilt by Custom Rewind a couple of years ago is still very healthy. 97-100V per leg @ 5000 RPM. It may actually put out more power than a stock stator, and it's certainly lasted longer.

Bad news - my fuel pump flunked the quick test. Dramatically. I only got about 100 mL of gas out. I haven't noticed any running problems, though, so I don't understand that. May have missed something.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I did the same thing. Put a 1000 snorkel in my 650 air box. I actually got SV 650 horns too, the short ones in my L2 650. SV1000 snorkel should fit too.

I just started mine up in the Garage the other day.
Good chance replacing the DL1000 snorkel with a larger DL1000 snorkel will hurt your low end power quite a bit.

Usually the snorkel size and shape are designed (tuned) to get a certain amount of airflow at certain revs; and this is more important at lower revs. Increasing the snorkel size and likely length will change the tuning. You might find it lowsers torque a lot at lower revs.

Or not.

..Tom

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Quick update: I put more gas in the tank and tried again. Got about 150 mL. Must have had less than the recommended 2 gallons in the first time.

That's still half what I should get. I'm definitely not spending the $200+ for a factory filter, so I guess it's time for the infamous external fuel filter mod after all. First step will be sourcing a suitable filter.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket fuel pump/filter for around $40. I have one sitting in the garage now waiting for an excuse.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Good chance replacing the DL1000 snorkel with a larger DL1000 snorkel will hurt your low end power quite a bit.

Usually the snorkel size and shape are designed (tuned) to get a certain amount of airflow at certain revs; and this is more important at lower revs. Increasing the snorkel size and likely length will change the tuning. You might find it lowsers torque a lot at lower revs.

Or not.

..Tom
I believe that. Usually the stock OEM air filter is better for low end torque too. I have a K&N. I'm looking for top end horsepower. ;)

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
Fuel tank removed, fuel pump & filter assembly removed & taken apart to do the high-pressure filter bypass mod.

Since I've got so much stuff off anyway might just go full crazy and swap the cylinder head union O-rings. I was going to do a throttle body sync after the fuel filter mod anyway, so it doesn't much matter if I screw up the sync adjustment by removing the throttle bodies.

It'll be the first airbox removal of the year. Yay? :(

At least it's been cold enough that I don't feel much like riding anyway, as my heated gear situation is not yet sorted.

·
Registered
341 Posts
More motorcycle therapy - yesterday the 25 cms of snow melted off the roads with just a bit of slushy ice left in the driveway, so took the Trophy to town for some groceries. Today I got the wiring upgrades finished on the V-Strom - auxiliary fusebox, headlight relays installed (none from the factory), LED headlight bulbs and an on/off switch for the voltmeter so it can be turned off to stop the parasitic drain on the battery (LiFePo4 batteries hate that). I'm about 90% satisfied with the finished product - solid, functional and reasonably factory-looking plus there is still space for the documents on top of the new fusebox. The other 10% is stuff that I know about, but is not visible - just me being picky. Now I just have to put her back together.

Cheers,
Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bought some stuff; cleaned and lubed a thing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Added a crank and transmission to my poor, lonely left engine case...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm getting plans drawn up for a "shop/garage" to store my two bikes in, among other things.

I was even thinking of putting a carousel in so that when I drive in, I can just spin the bike around for a quick exit later.

I've looked at one built into the floor and have seen various plans, but honestly, it would be smarter just to buy a small premade or do it yourself one. But who said I'm thinking straight when my bikes are cooped up in the old garage, eh?

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,465 Posts
One thing I absolutely would consider for a workshop is one of those hydraulic motorcycle lifts. There are models which can be moved aside or stowed when not needed. it would be MUCH easier to do a lot of jobs on the bike, if it were raised to say waist height or so.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Create a turntable that also raises up...two birds, one stone! :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Today I cleaned oil passages in the left hand case, and replaced the oil jets...the jets that came with the case looked pretty gross compared to the ones I took out of my original case. Mine (the one on the left) have 3k more miles on them; and look brand new!

3661 - 3680 of 3687 Posts