StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to ride superVee in to work….a monthly thing for me at best. The brand new Tourance rubbers I mounted last night made me do it. I had two choices:

1) All back roads. Two lanes and twisty. But 30 miles. 35mph riding. All with homicidal deer eating the dew off the grass of the road shoulders.
2) Or, 10 miles of 60 mph 2 lane and 10 miles of 4 lane interstate. All with homicidal cagers late for work.

Before you jump with an answer, remember you will need to get up earlier to ride the back roads in.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
No contest. Back roads. Every time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Back roads.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Back roads.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, me too.

But normally I would drive my truck and take the other way. I was wondering why the bike makes me think about life in a different way...

Motorcycles rock.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
This morning I decided to ride superVee in to work….a monthly thing for me at best. The brand new Tourance rubbers I mounted last night made me do it. I had two choices:

1) All back roads. Two lanes and twisty. But 30 miles. 35mph riding. All with homicidal deer eating the dew off the grass of the road shoulders.
2) Or, 10 miles of 60 mph 2 lane and 10 miles of 4 lane interstate. All with homicidal cagers late for work.

Before you jump with an answer, remember you will need to get up earlier to ride the back roads in.
You're asking about a 30 mile vs 10 mile "ride".....is that actually long enough to even be called a ride, LOL.

Uhhh, ya, backroads, of course.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Back roads, but scrub those tires in before they scrub you in. 100m paved or 50m gravel at least.:fineprint:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Going to work.... fastest way poss. (time is of the essence) i get up at 3:00 or 4:00 am. coming home i'll sometimes go diff ways to ride.... btw. 25 mile one way commute.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Given those two choices, I think I would take my chances with the deer. At least they don't do road rage... Yet! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
backroads for me too

but my commute is really too short to count

·
Registered
413 Posts
Depends.....One of the five clinics where I work that allows me the opportunity to ride a 10 mile section of twisties that remind me of the back roads on the side of Mount Etna in Sicily. This is followed by another 10 miles of sweepers with a 55mph speed limit aggressively enforced by CHP. On each end of these roads are 10 miles of California interstate clogged with cagers. If I am late for work, I have to lane split my way down I-15 until I reach the HOV lanes. When I work at the other 4 clinics it has to be interstate. I have learned to enjoy the challenges of staying alive and anticipating the dumb moves cagers make while they try to inadvertantly kill me.

When comparing deer to stupid cagers I think I understand and can predict the cagers' moves better than a wild animal that you usually don't see until you have either hit them or passed them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have to take the back roads to work. It's actually longer to take the highway.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I have to take the back roads to work. It's actually longer to take the highway.
I work at home.

So, back roads, naturally.

·
Administrator
13,690 Posts
Backroads whereever practical!

I commute every day about 40 miles each way. The direct way is half secondary highways and the the other half an interstate type highway.

I will almost always skip the superhighway and take other roads. On the way to work I will substitute a secondary highway for the superhighway; the route home includes all kinds of back roads plus gravel.

..Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Both

I typically choose the express route to work, and the more interesting way home. If I got caught up in a really enjoyable ride on the way to work I might "forget" to make the stop there:mrgreen:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I prefer back-roads, but if I just want to get home from a long trip or get somewhere quickly, or just put a few hundred miles between me and home at the beginning of a vacation I won't avoid the interstate.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm a different rider depending on the rides.

Im an interstate super slab killa if the destination is my goal.

I'm a back road ripper if the ride is the goal.

I'm a dirt bike rider if the day is meant for playing in the mud.

I can also intermix at will...

Commuting for me is not about the ride, I get up and ride in the most direct path to get to work. There are times to enjoy the ride and there are times that the ride is just a way to get somewhere.... actually, for me... more often the ride is just to get someplace. I ride enough that I don't need to try to add more miles to what I ride in a week. Im a 350 mile a week commuter, and I do other pleasure rides on weekends.

I am also an oddity in that I really enjoy the super slab. Drop the brain into Neutral and let the miles slide on by.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts