StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil filters are y'all using on your DL1000's and where do you buy them?

Looking for a source for reasonably priced filters.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
fl_strom said:

Thanks in advance.
STP SMO-18 from AutoZone...$6.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Is it really worth buying an unknown to save $5.00?

I used to work at a BMW car dealership. We would regularly have guys that bought 320's come back with an aftermarket oil filter, typically Bosch, that had blown off. Any idea how much it costs when you spin the bearings in a new BMW 320 and you have no warranty?

I'm not saying it'll happen for sure but I, personally, don't think its worth the savings to take the chance.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Heavy said:
Is it really worth buying an unknown to save $5.00?

I used to work at a BMW car dealership. We would regularly have guys that bought 320's come back with an aftermarket oil filter, typically Bosch, that had blown off. Any idea how much it costs when you spin the bearings in a new BMW 320 and you have no warranty?

I'm not saying it'll happen for sure but I, personally, don't think its worth the savings to take the chance.
Why is buying another brand of filter other than Suzuki an "unknown"? I'd say the Suzuki filter is just as much as an unknown as any brand. Do you think Suzuki manufactures those filters themselves? No, they have a supplier print the Suzuki name on it. If one supplier jacks up the price, SUzuki will just go somewhere else and you would never know (unknown).

I have never seen a filter comparison that suggested that the OEM filter was so far superior that it justified the $12 price tag. IMHO, any decent filer, properly installed and changed every oil change, will be fine. So I will pocket my $5-$6 savings and have a couple of beers. :D

·
Administrator
16,788 Posts
So...$12.00 is expensive for something that is VERY important for your engine??? You'll spend that much, putting gas in the damn bike. :roll:

Also.....there has been articles written, that compare oil filters. There are "few" aftermarket filters, that match or exceed the quality and performance of the OEM filters. It is true, that Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha etc.... don't make their own filters, but they also aren't made by crappy fram or wix either!!! Mobil 1 and Amsoil make the "2" top rated filters on the market. Other than these...go OEM!!!!!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Napa Gold on my Wee since its first oil change. 46,000km on her now, no problemo's. I change the oil/fliter every 5000km with MobilOne 10w40 motorcycle oil.

I buy them 6 at a time for 9.00 cdn ea.

Cheers

K

·
0 Posts
I'm concerned that the OEM filter I picked up today now says "Made In China". I wonder if any thing has changed? I did notice the filter cap wrench seems to fit much looser than previous filters (same stock #) going back to my SV and Bandit.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Fram filters are what I use as I can get them anywhere. Typically an oil filter is only on my bike 5-6 weeks and then I'm performing another change.

Here's my take and anyone who wants to disagree is free to do so. The simple fact is MOST riders will typically only ride 3000 miles a season or less. Yes this includes many who purchased the Wee Strom (poseurs purchase all makes & models of motorcycles :p ) Thus the average rider has to perform 1 oil change a season. Most riders will not keep a bike 10 years and if they do the number of 10 year old bikes with 30,000 miles is very rare. Last season I performed 7 oil changes :shock: I'm not worried about blowing up my motor due to a "bad" oil filter or "bad" oil

Buy whatever brand of filter tickles yer fancy, use a quality oil (again whatever tickles yer fancy) put on your riding gear, turn the key in the ignition and twist yer right wrist. Most of ya worry way too much about protecting yer precious bikes, when ya might be better off riding the doG dammed thing

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shoot, I've had the bike a total of two weeks now and I've racked up 12xx miles already. It's not a poser, it's a rider!

I'll be lucky to only have 25,000 miles on it this year.

Thanks for all the input on oil filters. Just as I thought, there is as much opinion based on them as there is with what kind of oil should you use.

That's something I have no problem in choosing. The best oil for any 4 cycle motor is easy to remember . . . . . . .

Clean and fresh of the viscosity and SAE rating that the manufacturers recommends.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Night_Wolf said:
Buy whatever brand of filter tickles yer fancy, use a quality oil (again whatever tickles yer fancy) put on your riding gear, turn the key in the ignition and twist yer right wrist. Most of ya worry way too much about protecting yer precious bikes, when ya might be better off riding the doG dammed thing
Well put. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
K&N

I started using K&N oil filters a few years ago, on everything I own. I have never had any issues with these filters on a boat, two trucks a car and three bikes. Probably won't go with the air filter on the Strom though, I do have K&N air filters in evrything as well. I also use only synthetic oil, Redline in the boat/ truck and Motul in the bikes. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
236 Posts
kurt1305 said:
Has anyone ever encountered an oil or filter related failure on a Strom?
When these threads come up, I like to point out that I, nor anyone I've ever known, has had any issues or problems usuing any oil that is of the right viscosity (except to stay away from friction modifiers), any brand filter and changing it regularly.

Rotella 5w40 synth & whatever filter I can get a deal on. :)

Oneida has a good price, but they want $16 to ship out here! :shock:

Now where is my flame retardent suit.... :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
fl_strom said:

Thanks in advance.

What Stromette uses:

Why: Same socket that fits the oil drain plug also fits this K&N oil fliter so I don't have to pack an oil filter wrench on the road. Woohoo! :p

Where: Chad (Strom rider) at Adventure Moto Stuff... http://amotostuff.com/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmmmm...... Interesting link on the fram filter. Been using them for years on my cars. One 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 176,543mi respectfully and a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport, 152,102mi. Respectfully. Ya, I drive a bit. Right now I'm using Suzuki filters on my Wee-Strom because it's only a few days old with only 600mi. on it. (You know, for warranty sake) Prolly switch once I've got 3k on it. Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts