StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some Oxford heated grips a few months ago and noticed the throttle side was loose. When i crazy glued it on i put some tie wraps around it until it dried and it was ok for a while, but the first time i turned on the heated grips it started to slip. Kind of freaked me out at first thinking there was something wrong with the bike, but figured out that holding the grip a bit tighter fixed it.

I put some tie wraps on it and it was fine again, but the other day when i was out on a ride it started to slip again. I guess the tie wraps have stretched. I need to pull it off and re-glue it.

I was thinking Rubber Cement as it is a bit thicker, or should i use something like Gorilla Glue? Is wood glue a good option?

I don't want it to be impossible to get off in future.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that's good info thanks. I see J-B weld can be used too, but i guess that is more permanent.

I will have a look at our local Canadian tire for some high heat epoxy.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Most motorcycle shops should have grip-glue available for two or three dollars. It may just be repackaged contact cement, but with grip-glue, careful application of a really slim screwdriver will break the bond so the grips can be removed.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If i went the safety wire route, do i still need to glue it? I could just wire it and then put the grip puppies over top. Would that damage the heating elements?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If i went the safety wire route, do i still need to glue it? I could just wire it and then put the grip puppies over top. Would that damage the heating elements?
I don't glue the grips at all if I'm going to safety wire them. Just twist the wire up tight, cut it close and turn the sharp end into the grip. I don't run grip puppies so I can't tell you with any authority if they'd be damaged by safety wire, but I wire them up so tight the wire is a little below the level of the grip rubber so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Safety wire is a good option , as long as you don't go all gorilla tight with the wire. I've used it for years for various applications (all my dirt bike grips , glue only holds so long , and then rain/creek water makes them want to slip off). They key is not to Over tighten.

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Safety wire is a good option , as long as you don't go all gorilla tight with the wire. I've used it for years for various applications (all my dirt bike grips , glue only holds so long , and then rain/creek water makes them want to slip off). They key is not to Over tighten.
It doesn't kill your heated grips?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I used JB Weld several years ago for one set of heated grips, but only used it after the grips were on. In other words, I could cut the adhesive with a knife if I needed to do that -- and I did. Sloppy looking, but effective.

I also used the Hot Grips epoxy a year or so ago, and when I swapped the bars out, their epoxy worked as advertised for removal -- heat it up with a direct battery connection and the bond will break after 15-20 minutes. I used an external power supply, but hey, I'm an electronic tech and have this stuff lying around. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It doesn't kill your heated grips?
To be truthful , I've never used it on heated grips. I have helped install heated grips on some of my friends bikes though , so I know what components you are concerned about damaging. I still wouldn't hesitate to use it , being mindful not to over tighten.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've heard of people using Aquanet or some other brand hair spray. You squirt the hair spray down the "tube" of the grip then slide them on and let it set. That said I used a small dab of Gorilla brand superglue (not their polyurethane glue) and it's held great for about two years.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The only time I have ever used adhesive under grips was with a pair of HotGrips which needed it because they are hard plastic inside instead of the grippy soft rubber most grips use. I use alcohol to lubricate the grips for installation, and when it evaporates the natural stickiness of the rubber is usually enough to hold them firmly on the bars. (And alcohol makes a good lubricant to remove grips, too -- just use a thin screwdriver to pry up the grip a little and shoot some in there, then twist to distribute -- the grip will slide right off.)

But if I HAD to glue on a pair of grips -- especially heated ones -- I would use high-temp silicone.

·
Registered
299 Posts
To be truthful , I've never used it on heated grips. I have helped install heated grips on some of my friends bikes though , so I know what components you are concerned about damaging. I still wouldn't hesitate to use it , being mindful not to over tighten.
my oxford heated grips are slipping on both the clutch and throttle side.

i guess i could remove the bar ends, then the hand guards, then try to pry off the heated grips just to re-glue them.

i imagine in a few years, the grips would have to be re-glued again?

with that in mind, i would consider wrapping safety wire around the grip to exert pressure so the grip would not slip.

my question is: what/where are the elements/components i should be concerned about damaging?

i was going to use three twisted safety wires per grip and twist safety wire at both ends of each grip and one in the middle for added pressure.

would the above configuration be too much?

and how to measure "over-tight"?

lastly, if i thoroughly abandon the idea of safety wire, and rather not re-do the entire removal/re-install/re-glue process, what about a bead of silicone at each end of each grip? i wonder if that would create enough pressure so the grips wouldn't slip?

i must say, when the clutch side slipped and suddenly i could not pull in the clutch lever because the oxford grip bulge prevented the lever free access and i was trucking along at 60mph, i did get a wee bit worried. i had no idea what the heck was happening. yikes!

:jawdrop:

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
my oxford heated grips are slipping on both the clutch and throttle side.

lastly, if i thoroughly abandon the idea of safety wire, and rather not re-do the entire removal/re-install/re-glue process, what about a bead of silicone at each end of each grip? i wonder if that would create enough pressure so the grips wouldn't slip?

:jawdrop:

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well.

rob
Based on what I read in the installation directions, you can apply a ring of superglue at the ends of the grip - since the superglue is very thin it will wick under the grip.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've read about this issue many times so I called Oxford about this it last year. They are aware of the problem and have been working with adhesive companies to solve it. As explained by them, it is a very hard problem to solve. Hot, cold, wet, can't destroy plastics and rubber, a lot of force applied, removable without damage to the grips. That said, I'm a boat guy and use a ring of 3M 4000UV marine adhesive around the far end of the grip only. Never had a problem although the grip flexes a little at the bar end.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts