StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
'14 DL1000A ~_/) ~ '14 GSX1300R
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both bikes like to run over 3500 rpm.
On my 14 DL1000, I find the bottom limit to be right around @nuke's quote above. If cruising, I'll let her drop to 3k, easy on the throttle. Rarely see a need (or a reason) to take the bike over 6k, simply because I haven't found much available in this upper range.

Just curious what others think about this

·
Registered
340 Posts
regular riding 4k - 4.5k, cruising 3.5k, pretty much the only time i go above 6k-7k is getting on the highway. i just love coming around that bend and opening the bike up.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
On my wee it was reached its highway speed/cadence around 5300/5500 RPMS but in the twisties it was also fun to run it in the 7K range in the peak power range.

The BMW boxers are about the same on the highway and 6K range int he twisties. The big twin has gobs more torque so you don't need to be in the tweaker RMP range all the time.

The Buell is a different animal all together. Highway cruising speeds at 3,500 RPM and usable power with freight train like torque from idle to about 6,500ish RPM's and anywhere in-between. The motors does not spool up very quick but its a quick bike as its putting power down as soon as you release the clutch.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
2010 DL650 here.
Twisty roads, I like to hit redline or very close quite often. I used to ride more gentle but @V-Tom once told me that he redlines his bike a fair bit, so I tried it out and it was way more enjoyable to ride the bike this way.

Everyday commuting I’ll typically be between 6000 and 9000 rpm, with the occasional blast into redline.

Long trips on the slab and I’m more conservative and mindful of gas mileage and keep it at 6000 even.

My fuel efficiency isn’t the best, but I have many smiles per mile:)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
2014 V2: 2k to 5K (3-5K most of the time). Higher when passing or wanting to accelerate max. Then I don't watch the RPM's anyway. I have a boosterplug and that allows going as low as 2K. Useful in dicey conditions (offroad) in combination with 16T sprocket when you want to crawl and limit torque.
Much smoother engine: Boosterplug + Clutch Basket = Sweet

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
2010 DL650 here.
FYI, there was no Gen1 2010 model, you have either an early 2011 model or late 2009 model built in 2010

Twisty roads, I like to hit redline or very close quite often. I used to ride more gentle but @V-Tom once told me that he redlines his bike a fair bit, so I tried it out and it was way more enjoyable to ride the bike this way.
Yeah, I am surprised by the number of riders who never push it over 7K where all the fun is ;-). I don't intentionally hit the limiter but it happens. I do mostly twisties and keep it spinning around 6.5-7K RPM with blasts up to 9-9.5K coming out of a turn or passing a Prius. Motor starts to fade into 10K so no point in pushing all the way up.

Everyday commuting I’ll typically be between 6000 and 9000 rpm, with the occasional blast into redline. Long trips on the slab and I’m more conservative and mindful of gas mileage and keep it at 6000 even. My fuel efficiency isn’t the best, but I have many smiles per mile.
For me freeway cruising is 5.5-6K with short bursts to 7-7.5 if passing or jockeying for a gap. Since I do +90% twisties I average around 45 MPG, never see 50MPG like some riders but I suppose it could do that on a long trip w/o twisting the throttle so much. I didn't buy it for high gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
2014 DL1000. 2k-4.5k, occasional forays to 8k+. The rev limiter is really abrupt so I tend to avoid that. I will run it for prolonged periods at the top of the rev. range but seldom feel the need to. Mostly happens if I'm mixed up with other bikes - which isn't often, I got fed up with my days riding being ruined helping pull sportsbikes out of the scrub.

And yes, mine really is usable at 2k and I get stupid range from a tank. (440k). By choice mostly loping along on 60-100kph backroads which is the riding I got the bike for.

DL650, probably 3k5-6k mostly. That's generally used around town and it'll only see the higher rev's accelerating up to speed on the faster roads. (Freeway merge equivalents).

·
Registered
509 Posts
2011 DL650. Farting around in the pasture, it's a lot of idle in first with occasional blips in second. Rarely above 4 k.

On the street, 3-6k 99% of the time, with the rare italian tune up in the 8-9k range.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Gen 1 Wee-strom owner here. I used to basically lug all my bikes keeping RPMs as low as possible. And then I read some stuff here, and honestly, I tend to keep it (lowest) 4k around town.

I love this little engine. I'm not a super aggressive rider, but it gives me the ability to keep the engine anywhere between 3k and 8k and feel great! Ideally for twisties and fun, I like to be around 6-7k. Just feels and sounds right!

Reactions: Stromation

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
5250 RPM. Mathematical purity.

Seriously, they breathe better when run a bit higher. In town, 4-5k, freeway 5k and up. Twistys 6k and up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
'20 Wee here . . .

Motoring around the city, the revs are usually lower - in the 3500 - 5500 range.
On the super-slab usually about 6,000 @ 80 mph.
In the twisties, or when I'm just "giving it the beans", I'll tach it out more, but I still don't like to hit the limiter.
It doesn't seem to really "wake up" until about 6,000 RPM when you're accelerating hard.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Did some back roads coming home from Santa Margarita and got 55.6 mpg. That was on Cerro Noroeste/Mil Potrero rd.
Not real fast but a lot of shifting due to the twisties and elevation changes. Then back over the San Gabriel mountains. Traffic slows down the speeds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Seems my Wee doesn't like to lug much, under 3K produces not much of anything. No freeways around here so most of my riding is secondary roads with lots of elevation changes & with some dirt roads thrown in the mix, one or two up I run 4-7K mostly but feels real good running 5-6K range. Growing up in the muscle car age I found red-lining engines very pleasurable but did not contribute to long engine life, that has carried on in my life so my Wee has rarely seen the red-line.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did some back roads coming home from Santa Margarita and got 55.6 mpg. . . .
Wow - 55+ mpg is impressive! I've gotten ridiculous numbers in the instant mpg setting when idling down a hill or something, but averaging over miles the best I've managed is 47 mpg.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are lots of small fuel economy tricks that make a substantial difference overall. As always, use common sense to avoid getting into or making a dangerous situation.

Gentle acceleration.
If you have a choice, use the down hills to accelerate. Brisk acceleration going up hill is hard on fuel economy.
Slow down a bit. At low speeds, aero drag is pretty linear with speed. But once you get over 30-40 it increases as the square of the speed. Double the speed = 4x the wind drag. Stated differently, a modest reduction in speed makes a substantial reduction in aero drag.
Coast more when you slow down rather than the enthusiastic application of brakes. Every time you touch the brakes, your fuel economy goes down.
Look far ahead (which you should do anyway for safety reasons) so you don't have to react suddenly (as far as possible, being a totally safe and defensive driver.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
There's an operating range? I have a '12 Wee. If the engine isn't bogging down and I'm not passing, I'm looking for a higher gear. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts