StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
without a GPS you better park your VStrom in the garage.
Ever since I am riding with the group and they are equipped with GPS, we explore the places that you would never imagine, the reason is you find a road , it is remote and no signs, now, you can start the road and never know when and where it ends up ,or exactly know the end place , restaurants , Gas stations ,Motels and so ..........
having sed that I am not planning to spend $1200 on Motorcycle GPS, there are good range of $150 to $500 motorcycle capable waterproof, touch screen ,with trip planners.
This question was not updated for very long time, and I believe there are a lot of new devices more advanced and less expensive since this was last updated.
Please share your thoughts.
I wanna put a refurbished Nuvi LMTHD probably 25 and higher series.
Do not forget, Please ride safe and ride long.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Over the years I traveled all over the west with nothing but a paper map before GPS. Now I go high tech. With a refurbished Garmin 50lm that I paid $60,00 for on sale 2 yrs. ago and a paper map, they take me down the road..>:)

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
As smartphone apps become better and better, the days of the standalone GPS are numbered (IMO). I still use an old TomTom920 mostly because I am used to it and know how to operate it to its fullest. However, I am starting to play with the Tyre peoples smartphone app and it seems to be working pretty well. Doing most everything that a standalone GPS (eg. Zumo) can do. Upside is not very expensive. Downside, is that it runs on a smartphone and this you have potential waterproof/vibrations issues but those are solvable for not a lot of money.

NOTE: you DO NOT need an internet connection or cell service to operate.

There are Apple and Android versions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrouteapp.navigation

It works well with the Tyre program and MyRoute app for creating/storing/sharing routes.

I am finding it very good and starting to use it more and more.

I strongly suggest you check it out.

I have use Tyre and MyRoute for several years and find them very easy to use. Once I started using them, I literally threw BaseCamp and Mapsource away.

Another smartphone app is Osmand. It works very well but the user interface is not very intuitive.

The issues I have with standalones:
- high initial cost
- high cost of maps and updating.

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
I got the Ram Aqua box and run a 2455 Garmin. Seems fine with lifetime maps and traffic.
Hundred dollah wonder.
That HDE is really affordable. Might be a great idea. It only took a couple drops of water to kill a non waterproof GPS.

·
Super Moderator
16,231 Posts
I tried the phone thing.....not for me, I love my Garmin Zumo 390LM.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was talking about this with a mountaineering friend. We both believe that next generation hand held and motorcycle gps systems from Garmin will have to include in reach capabilities just to remain relevant. In reach and tpms would make a gps attractive but the price is ridiculous. Make it waterproof and sell it for 400us. Not 1000.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have an old magellan but the map was updated and i have live traffic reports with suggested detours (only seems to work in the states though). It's not waterproof, but i have a 10$ chinese waterproof case for it, and now a tank bag with another bag over it in case it rains.

I need to check ebay for a new gen waterproof chinese one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Call me cheap but I took my son's old Samsung S4 phone (without SIM) and threw in 32GB microSD card. I installed Google Maps and downloaded c**p load of offline maps (10Gb in total). Planning to buy water resistant motorcycle mount (http://a.co/hLDfWv6) and that's about it ...
I did the same thing. I bought a cheap android phone adtwr the holidays a year ago and downloaded all the routes i needed for my Alaska trip. No data or cell service needed. Had all roads and poi. $20 investment and a camera to boot.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting the Trail Tech Voyager Pro to get released (https://www.trailtech.net/voyagerpro) and see some real world reviews on it. If it can do turn-by-turn it would hit all of my wickets for a perfect GPS. Not a lot of info out yet other than the pre-release hype though. Haven't seen much here about it, and only a little bit over at ADVRider. I'd be curious what others have heard.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
I tried the phone thing.....not for me, I love my Garmin Zumo 390LM.
Eventually your 390 will need an upgrade, or new maps, or will die. In that time there will have been a plethora of new apps on the market and the ones already on the market will have been upgraded/changed due to demand. I wouldn't give up on them. Just keep dropping in and seeing what is available. Already, the Navigation app from the Tyre people does virtually everything the 390 does for 20% of the price and upgrades and new maps are free!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The OP's post suggests, to me, "adventure" riding. Coming from a dual sport background I suggest a Garmin GPSMAP 78 or Garmin Montana. The added features of displaying elevation, following tracks, dropping tracks, track back etc make them very useful. I also just like the idea of a dedicated GPS rather than relying on my phone.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting the Trail Tech Voyager Pro to get released (https://www.trailtech.net/voyagerpro) and see some real world reviews on it. If it can do turn-by-turn it would hit all of my wickets for a perfect GPS. Not a lot of info out yet other than the pre-release hype though. Haven't seen much here about it, and only a little bit over at ADVRider. I'd be curious what others have heard.
This appears to be an entire dash replacement. Interesting, but again I would be more interested in something that had spot/InReach in a larger form factor like the Zumo size. Thats a winner, otherwise it's a cheap-ass phone for sure.

·
Registered
252 Posts
As smartphone apps become better and better, the days of the standalone GPS are numbered (IMO). I still use an old TomTom920 mostly because I am used to it and know how to operate it to its fullest. However, I am starting to play with the Tyre peoples smartphone app and it seems to be working pretty well. Doing most everything that a standalone GPS (eg. Zumo) can do. Upside is not very expensive. Downside, is that it runs on a smartphone and this you have potential waterproof/vibrations issues but those are solvable for not a lot of money.

NOTE: you DO NOT need an internet connection or cell service to operate.

There are Apple and Android versions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myrouteapp.navigation

It works well with the Tyre program and MyRoute app for creating/storing/sharing routes.

I am finding it very good and starting to use it more and more.

I strongly suggest you check it out.

I have use Tyre and MyRoute for several years and find them very easy to use. Once I started using them, I literally threw BaseCamp and Mapsource away.

Another smartphone app is Osmand. It works very well but the user interface is not very intuitive.

The issues I have with standalones:
- high initial cost
- high cost of maps and updating.
Correct me if I'm wrong but MyRoute-app Navigation app is not free, around $60 CAD for 2 year subscription ...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am using an old Tomtom 1500 via for mine, and it lacks a lot but it was free. Pop it in a $10 case and I away I go.

The biggest upside is the touch screen. My iPhone screen and button won't work with gloves on and I'm not paying stupid money for conductive gloves. I do like the lane change split-view and speed limit cue on the tomtom (for when I've missed the sign, and left wondering if I'm in impound range or not, lol). Big downsides is this old one doesn't have bluetooth, so no voice prompts to my Sena, and I can't upload custom routes from my PC.

I have no interest in buying a new one though, as I agree that there will no doubt be phone apps soon that meet the same quality of performance and user interface as the tomtoms/garmins. At that point I'd be interested in making it work, but with my iPhone, It would have to have voice control as well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've always just used the cheapest Garmin units I could find. I know a Zumo or more expensive motorcycle specific model would be nice, the higher prices always drove me off. Mostly I'm cheap, but I feel better about leaving a cheapo unit on the bike or in my car or truck with the windows down. (I having to close up and lock in hot weather, or having to unplug and dismount accessories just to use a restroom or have lunch)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts