StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I know that the wee engine (mine is an 07,) is older technology and is considered a workhorse.

But, many reviews and people refer to it at boring, no spirit and other terms like that.

Then they go on to say that it is ultra reliable etc.

It seems like the tone is that it is kind of a wet blanket but (at least) it is reliable.

So tell me, am I just an old boring guy who is clueless? (please lie if you actually agree), but I think it is a pretty nice motor that is well suited to it's designed task.

Sure it isn't a hayabusa but, it isn't supposed to be.

Am I the only one who finds it pretty damn nice?

Sent from my droid.

·
Registered
899 Posts
My fresh impressions of the '09 that I bought recently, is that it has a delightful motor that loves to rev and comes alive at 4 to 7 k RPM. And it sounds good at those RPM too.

When idling, it is surprisingly free of mechanical noise. It idles nicely right off of a cold start. It lugs pretty good for a small motor. No intrusive vibrations across the range that I operate it in (unlike the Varadero that I test drove before I bought the wee). No tingling in my hands like I got from the F800ST that I've ridden.

It think the motor makes this bike. It's far superior motor to the R1100R boxer motor that it replaces in my garage.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Well, a lot depends on what you (or the reviewer) are used to. Compared to many modern bikes the Wee motor is...calm. :)
Much of that has to do with the cams and the weight. The same basic motor in an SV feels very different, much more exciting and alive. And compared to any sport bike...that's not even fair.

But for it's intended mission it's excellent. For me, one of the strengths of the Strom is it's unobtrusiveness. It lets you concentrate on riding, without the bike getting in the way or imposing it's own needs on you. You can just get on about your business, knowing that the bike will do what you need it to do without getting in your way.

·
Registered
712 Posts
OK, so I know that the wee engine (mine is an 07,) is older technology and is considered a workhorse.

but I think it is a pretty nice motor that is well suited to it's designed task.

Am I the only one who finds it pretty damn nice?
Yes, the engine quite nicely does what it's suppose to do - but it's more than just adequate, more than a mere workhorse.

I quite like it.

Marc

·
Banned
66 Posts
I like it as well, because it's a "no-drama" engine. I've owned huge twins (VTX-1800C, for example). Those engines, while very powerful, are also extremely noisy at idle. As someone else mentioned, this engine is amazingly free of clanking/tapping/bolts in a can sounding noises at idle and above.

I also like quiet exhausts. The wee twin is very smooth and provides more than adequate performance - amazing torque for a 650 because of the gearing. Again, this bike is quicker than the Ninja 650R I got rid of to get it. The parallel twin in the Ninja was quite smooth as well, but the nature of the engine noises were different. I've been reading about this SV-based engine for some time, trying to find serious problems with it. Google your brains out - you're not going to find much.

So, at my tender young age of 49, this bike represents a relaxing, no drama, yet satisfying performer. Everyone has their own opinions about designs that are "long in the tooth", or "a decade old", and the magazines play up that hype. Many of us search for that longetivity as proof of performance and reliability.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this "older design". Let them have the Tenere' and such. The V Strom has an undeniable track record of rock-solid reliability and value.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Coming from a cruiser (Boulevard C50T), I can say the Wee's engine is much more spirited! It's a completely different feel for me. The Wee is VERY responsive to me, especially since the C50 only has 45hp (compared to the 65hp from the Wee). It's more sport-bikey to me.

I certainly agree with RichDesmond's point. It's all in what you're used to. If you're a professional reviewer, then you've probably ridden dozens of motorcycles. So, yes.. Your view of the engine may be less than spectacular from a "spirited" standpoint. Since the bike is of the "adventure" class, it'd better be a workhorse!

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Got back into riding with the Wee. Had visions of trading up if the bike lacked power and satisfaction. 6 years and counting. Liking my sport utility mule.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Considering that the max speedlimit in the U.S. is generally 75mph, I think the wee engine is more than sufficient. Now if we were in Germany where we would be allowed to use every single horse power to the max, I'd have to agree that the wee needs more work - I'd probably be looking for a bigger bike.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Viewpoint is everything. Buzzy, clanky,noisy yes it is. Compaired to my Gold Wing. For what it's intended to be it's a great smooth motor that will run forever & deliver a steady 55 mpg.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I'm coming to the DL650 from a KLR650... to me, this engine is quite spirited and smooth.

As has been mentioned, it's a no-drama engine that gets the job it was designed to do done efficiently without the need to be the center of attention.

I like it just as it is. (I like the KLR just as it is also! :D )

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
If the motor wasn't "boring" then they'd be saying the frame wasn't up to the task. Ridden legally, those 600 class high rev motors are even more boring, even annoying. I'll take my high mpg, low insurance and all day comfort any day.

Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree its all about the rider and what your looking for. Ive owned a few Vstrom 1000's, a Tiger 1050, harley, and assorted sport bikes. I now own a 2011 WEE. While you wont get that much excitment when you grab a handfull the Wee has plenty of power for its design. I do miss the Tigers motor at times, but find the Wee enjoyable to ride. Very smooth, handels very well, and like someone else said the bike doesnet get in the way of your ride. Its a pleasure to ride. I find myself wanting to ride it more and more. If I need to go fast for some odd reason, 100 MPH is not a problem. 80mph on my commute each day (superslab) no problems either. I give the engine thumbs UP!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I came to my Wee (the second one I've owned) from a 750 CC Aprilia Shiver with about 50% more power so the Shiver could be considered more "spirited", but man does not live by spirit alone. Being my 49th motorcycle, I find low maintenance and reliability to be about the most exciting aspect of an engine. It's great to experience the boredom of knowing you'll make it back home after you've gotten past comfortable walking distance from your house.

For me, living 8 miles off the pavement with about a mile of no road at all, the Shiver's first gear, about like third in the V-Strom, was more excitement than I like having to pulse the clutch when I wanted to go under 20 mph at idle in the rough stuff. The Shiver's computer controlled everything caused if to have numerous small glitches that can only be fixed at the dealer at non-small expense... Even for removing a wheel to have a flat fixed, the Shiver's rider's manual advised: Take it to your dealer. Long live the V-Strom's "boredom!"

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have always thought my wee was more than up for the choosen task for which it was designed. However, I have also noted it is not a very spirited motor, meaning it is very linear on the power curve, much akin to a riding lawn mower, they all have a place my friend. I am not complaining as the rest of the bike can more than make up for spirited travel. But there are many here that come from racing backgrounds, or perhaps a two stroke history, and those are the ones that recall the quarter turn throttles. Those are also typically the ones who put this engine in the singer sewing machine catagory,including me. Its dependable, it tracks well under hard acceleration, and no surprises, perhaps I am getting to that age whereI don't need any surprises...nah....surprises have always made me feel alive at heart...don't think I will ever be that laid back...if I am..I do ask...DON"T RESUSCITATE!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I find the motor (and the rest of the bike) to be more than adequate for everything (except off road, of course... that's what I have a KLX250s for ).

I commute on the Wee - it is smooth and can be spirited when I need it to be - my commute is 100 miles round trip, with speeds ranging from lane sharing (15 mph) to 80 - 85mph, and it always has the right power at the right time, be it for overtaking or a blip to cut into a hole in bumper-bumper traffic. It is also fun in the twisties on weekends. The power is never an issue. Ever.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I find the Wee's engine to be just what it needs to be: Dependable, smooth enough not to annoy, dependable, fuel efficient, dependable....you get the idea. The power deliverer on the Wee is just what it needs to be, smooth and predictable.

I have ridden bikes since 1964 and had my share. I raced bike for some years so I have ridden some fast rides along the way. I know that handling and control are as much governed by engine power as anything. The smooth and predictable engine on the Wee makes it much easier to ride. If one screwed around with the power band, as in boosting it, the handling of the bike would seem much different. (as in worse) The bike works as a unit and the smooth power deliverer on the Wee is a big part of its attraction. I would not change it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Perhaps "spirited" is the wrong word to describe the engine in the wee. It was either Cycle Canada or Bike magazine that described the wee as "cheerful". And that's how I think of this bike. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fresh impressions of the '09 that I bought recently, is that it has a delightful motor that loves to rev and comes alive at 4 to 7 k RPM. And it sounds good at those RPM too.

When idling, it is surprisingly free of mechanical noise. It idles nicely right off of a cold start. It lugs pretty good for a small motor. No intrusive vibrations across the range that I operate it in (unlike the Varadero that I test drove before I bought the wee). No tingling in my hands like I got from the F800ST that I've ridden.

It think the motor makes this bike. It's far superior motor to the R1100R boxer motor that it replaces in my garage.
Huh? My 08 sounds like a Sherman tank at full bore at idle...... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
The ultimate compliment for this V-twin was when BMW decided to compete by introducing the F650GS - with an 800cc motor. :fineprint:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts